• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Post 4th of July thoughts

Typhoon Tip

12z euro shows hints at a more meaningful type of heat very late in the run...maybe a "better" set-up for it than what we've seen recently as the entire heat dome is placed more easterly with more pronounced troughing over the western 1/3rd of the nation and the western atlantic ridge asserting itself. instead of little plumes of heat ejecting east in advance of a trough we'd be in a more traditional set-up. we'll see.

It's amazing how unique this area can be. You could honestly say, that it isn't until July 4th or so...that real summer wx kicks in. At least for some years.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing how unique this area can be. You could honestly say, that it isn't until July 4th or so...that real summer wx kicks in. At least for some years.

And in many years it is only for like 4-6 weeks... mid-late August you tend to really be able to notice a cooldown. Not to say we can't have numerous hot days in late August and Sept, but after Aug 10 or so, it really tends to cool

My perception only, but I am wicked smahht

And in many years it is only for like 4-6 weeks... mid-late August you tend to really be able to notice a cooldown. Not to say we can't have numerous hot days in late August and Sept, but after Aug 10 or so, it really tends to cool

We lose 5F of average high temps between Aug 10th and Sept 1st, so its definitely a real thing. The fastest month to cool though is November. We lose 12F of average high between 11/1 and 11/30.

yeah i agree...it seems every year like clockwork we have one of those frontal passages mid to late august that just gives that first real sensation that fall is on the horizon. it usually only lasts for a day or two but it's noticeable.

KFIT hit 90 at one point it seems, but not at their hourly readings... does this mean it won't count?

We got to 84.3F here, right around what BOX thought

Of course it counts. That's why we have the 6hr/24hr max/mins in addition to the regularly scheduled hourly obs. Just because it happened in between the METARs doesn't mean it's ignored.

I'm always 3-5F warmer for the high then at ORH. 88 here... 84 there,<10 miles away, but 500' higher.

In the winter they are commonly 29F while I'm 33F for a high. sad.gif

Biggest difference I ever saw was 2/24/10...I had nearly a foot of total paste on Winter Hill at >900 feet. Down near Quinsig looked like 4" of slush. Dec '08 ice storm had a massive difference too.

Biggest difference I ever saw was 2/24/10...I had nearly a foot of total paste on Winter Hill at >900 feet. Down near Quinsig looked like 4" of slush. Dec '08 ice storm had a massive difference too.

Worst storm ever. You were posting pics of 11" of new snow and I had 4" down here like you said. It was the worst storm to shovel I can remember in my short life.

I guess they're out here ...bottomed at 50 ..now 53 here.. Dew that is..... Had a report of 45 low temp. in the elevated western Catskills today.

I can believe it...I was in the extreme northern Poconos near the NY State border, just about 10 miles from Hancock, NY at 1500' elevation. My parents have a vacation house there, and I was spending the long weekend. The last two nights got very chilly in the pre-dawn hours, probably down near 50F, which feels cold to me after being in NYC metro for most of the summer. Forecast low was 53F for both nights, but I think it got a bit colder as we're in a cold microclimate, a bowl-shaped valley at moderately high elevation. Going swimming in Lake Como, which our house is on, the water was a bit cool from the crisp, clear nights.

It will be interesting to see if the NAM's 12z fropa from 48-60 hours through the area gets muted back on future runs. Either way, 90 is as slam dunk today and probably tomorrow too. Again, this is a low impact heat wave with many sites only registering 88 or 89, and plenty of valid 92's in between. Although, given the rate of rise regionally it appears 90 will be easier to come by most places today.

Surprised it's so warm there...I only hit 88.5F about 10 miles from NYC. 85F here now.

not down here.....................it was really bad snowfall wise, but mild, to me there is nothing worse than cold with no snow, there is no use for it. Snow, or be warm.

We had about 20" in 07-08 in Dobbs Ferry. I was doing an urban education program at Vassar that year, and we had a little over 30" that winter on the Poughkeepsie campus, I believe. There was an 8: snowfall in early December and a 10" snowfall in late February, but the remainder of the winter was mild. To me, it should be cold in winter, regardless of whether it snows. Winter is supposed to be winter, harsh, windy, bone-chilling. I personally wouldn't mind living in Northern Canada where it's brutally cold but not that snowy. What you're saying is blasphemous. If you want warm winters, move back to South Carolina.

Yeah in August we sometimes struggle to hit 90 (except in 2002..lol), but it is also one of the most humid months. Many days are like 88/74, so yeah despite not reaching oppressive July temps...the dews can kill you. 2009 was like this.

Yeah in August we sometimes struggle to hit 90 (except in 2002..lol), but it is also one of the most humid months. Many days are like 88/74, so yeah despite not reaching oppressive July temps...the dews can kill you. 2009 was like this.

I always think of August as being less humid than July, with the soil gradually drying out over summer from the spring rains. To me, the most uncomfortable part of the summer is from early July to mid-August...you usually get a great stretch of dry weather with cooler overnight lows in the second half of August. Most recent summers have had a notable cool shot in the 2nd half of August...last year had one from August 23-26, with Central Park having highs right around 70F for a few days. In August 2009, it was from the 27th to the 31st...we had some near record lows down here with temperatures dipping to a crisp 50F a couple of nights in a row. 2008 also had a very cool August, with well below normal temperatures from Aug 7-21...even down here, nights were always in the 50s and low 60s during that stretch. I feel like once we get through the first week of August, it starts to become more bearable. Not that this has been a hot summer anyway.

I always think of August as being less humid than July, with the soil gradually drying out over summer from the spring rains. To me, the most uncomfortable part of the summer is from early July to mid-August...you usually get a great stretch of dry weather with cooler overnight lows in the second half of August. Most recent summers have had a notable cool shot in the 2nd half of August...last year had one from August 23-26, with Central Park having highs right around 70F for a few days. In August 2009, it was from the 27th to the 31st...we had some near record lows down here with temperatures dipping to a crisp 50F a couple of nights in a row. 2008 also had a very cool August, with well below normal temperatures from Aug 7-21...even down here, nights were always in the 50s and low 60s during that stretch. I feel like once we get through the first week of August, it starts to become more bearable. Not that this has been a hot summer anyway.

Summer came roaring back in the last few days of August right thru early September last year-- some of the most awesome late summer weather EVER! :)

BDL didn't make it. Climo site highs...

BOS 88F (heat wave fail)

BDL 89F (still no 90F from this warmup)

PVD 89F

ORH 84F

CON 90F (heat wave potential intact)

PWM 87F

BDR 85F

BTV 87F

Without question the lower temps this week have to do with the wet soils keeping temps down a few notches. Last year in the hot dry summer days like today and yesterday would have hit the low-mid 90's

Without question the lower temps this week have to do with the wet soils keeping temps down a few notches. Last year in the hot dry summer days like today and yesterday would have hit the low-mid 90's

Last years dewpoints were ridiculously low at times, desert dry

Soils are pretty dry now, at least the top few inches.

Last years dewpoints were ridiculously low at times, desert dry

Really? I remember frequent dews in the 70s from late Jun through early Aug. There were some dry periods mixed in, but July was mostly oppressive. I won't speak for your backyard near the coast though.

Really? I remember frequent dews in the 70s from late Jun through early Aug. There were some dry periods mixed in, but July was mostly oppressive. I won't speak for your backyard near the coast though.

During a couple of the extreme heatwaves, last spring especially dew points were desert like, A-L-E-X would know exactly when this occured but there were many days with temps higher than the HI due to such low dp's down this way.

Yeah I'm confused here.

I thought last summer we had dews, especially in the evenings and early mornings into the 60's to near 70F at times but they would mix down big time during the day b/c we were under a constant west/northwest flow aloft in the mid and lower levels at times. So by the afternoon hours the dews would mix out to the lower 60's...even upper 50's at times.

For as hot as last summer was we saw some pretty high mixing levels which helped to allow for the dry air to mix down.

Archived