• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Post 4th of July thoughts

Typhoon Tip

With the prognostic mode of the NAO relaxing in both the ECM and GFS ensemble means the last couple of nights, and the operational versions more than less agreeing over the last few cycles, therein are thoughts of raising heights in the east. Fairly straight forward. This is antithetical to the tempo of the summer thus far, but it appears somewhat of a pattern change may be at hand. There are even signs in there that the semi-permanent shear axis/weakness in the geopotential medium over the EC may fill in week.

In the meantime, low impact heat wave appears underway for much of interior SNE and some coastal locales away from marine contamination. This may or may not have snuck up on us.. 87-92 or 88 -93 type heat, not overly oppressive but near or at 90 for 3 days ending Wednesday has above medium chance at success.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps a 1 or 2 day shot of big warmth next week, but I'm still not sure of a pattern fit for a big heat dome in the east. Seems like Plains into the OH valley will roast for now. Either way, it does seem like more classic July weather at hand.

Yeah, I stopped short of "heat dome" - don't have a decent enough feel for how expansive a regime change it will be, but it does appear that we are about to switch from at or below to at or above due to NAO domain changes.

Yeah, I stopped short of "heat dome" - don't have a decent enough feel for how expansive a regime change it will be, but it does appear that we are about to switch from at or below to at or above due to NAO domain changes.

Yeah that could be. I was just looking at the ensembles, and they still argue for some troughing during mid week next week, but then heights rise a bit towards the end of the period.

Last summer was the hottest for every single station in SNE..how can you top that?

Actually last summer was the hottest summer for 0 of the 4 climo sites in BOX CWA. PVD did get the 2nd warmest summer on record though. BOS/BDL were 3rd warmest on record and ORH was 7th warmest on record.

Last summer was the hottest for every single station in SNE..how can you top that?

Just like it'll be hard to top that stretch from late December through early February for snowfall in SNE...especially CT. This summer will feel much colder than last summer even if its average to even a bit above average. Unfortunately I'm afraid this winter will be the opposite and feel underwhelming after the epic snowpack and snowstorms seen across both SNE and NNE (though at different times).

You've kind of turned into a grumpy old man kind of poster..We miss the fun Will

Lol, I'm just posting facts.

If I weren't here to do that, then we'd see "coldest winter ever", "snowiest winter ever", "hottest summer ever" run rampant through the threads with no repercussions.

You've morphed from fun Will into a Dendrite/Ian grumpy/crotchety type of poster

It only appears that way to you because I do not endorse huge heat waves in the summer. When I start talking about the first cold shots and snow chances, you'll think I'm fun again. :lol:

In the meantime, low impact heat wave appears underway for much of interior SNE and some coastal locales away from marine contamination. This may or may not have snuck up on us.. 87-92 or 88 -93 type heat, not overly oppressive but near or at 90 for 3 days ending Wednesday has above medium chance at success.

Heat wave potential for ASH, LWM, BOS, CON, and FIT. 91, 91, 90, 90, 90 respectively at those sites today.

You've morphed from fun Will into a Dendrite/Ian grumpy/crotchety type of poster

How did I earn the grumpy connotation? lol

I like how you routinely apply your sales knowledge to your posts. You've tried to convince us that we've had about 5 torches so far this spring with oppressive humidity.

I like how you routinely apply your sales knowledge to your posts. You've tried to convince us that we've had about 5 torches so far this spring with oppressive humidity.

Well to be fair, BDL did finish 0.0 for June which was kind of like a torch since the other stations all finished below average.

I hope he is better at sales than at forecasts... he was pretty good last summer (other than the 80 degree overnight low debacle), but this year?

Wonder if I should pull a Wiz and go look at the thunderstorm near Gardner...

Archived