joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post 4th of July thoughts

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not intending to pimp my own stuff but new site is finally done...not really built with weenies in mind but added a couple of products for the more weather-inclined individual...thought this link below might be useful along with the dewpoint ones etc. (linked under "current weather") that are listed there. you can zoom in, scroll around etc. the GE plugin tends to be a little buggie though so use caution if clicking on individual obs sites. sometimes it'll load, sometimes it just stops running. this is essentially an interactive version of the pdfamily one.

http://www.capecodweather.net/mesonet-temperatures/

also if you scroll down, the HPC precip forecasts zoomed into SNE in GE/kml also available.

not intending to pimp my own stuff but new site is finally done...not really built with weenies in mind but added a couple of products for the more weather-inclined individual...thought this link below might be useful along with the dewpoint ones etc. (linked under "current weather") that are listed there. you can zoom in, scroll around etc. the GE plugin tends to be a little buggie though so use caution if clicking on individual obs sites. sometimes it'll load, sometimes it just stops running. this is essentially an interactive version of the pdfamily one.

http://www.capecodwe...t-temperatures/

also if you scroll down, the HPC precip forecasts zoomed into SNE in GE/kml also available.

Nice site Phil. Did you do all of that yourself?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see a pop up t-storm or two somewhere in eastern MA, SE NH, or S ME. Dew points are still quite high in that area and there is some lingering convergence. Add to that a developing sea breeze front and we have another mechanism for popping something up. It won't be widespread but someone could get dumped on good later.

Taking AmericanWx by storm.

That's awesome...nice job.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see a pop up t-storm or two somewhere in eastern MA, SE NH, or S ME. Dew points are still quite high in that area and there is some lingering convergence. Add to that a developing sea breeze front and we have another mechanism for popping something up. It won't be widespread but someone could get dumped on good later.

Sweet.. hopefully it rains here.. I missed all of the good rain this weekend and my garden needs a good dumping..

Could we see SVR or just heavy rains?

Awesome job Phil. I really like the Google Earth maps.

My point forecast mins/maxes through Sunday: 83 63 83 63 79 54 79 54 82 57 82

That's not tough to take... 69/53 now.

Nice site Phil. Did you do all of that yourself?

thx. no not all of it. different pieces and sections.

yeah some of the mesos have some storms in e areas today. was thinking combo of surface heating/dews/some seabreeze boundaries might be enough for someone.

Taking AmericanWx by storm.

That's awesome...nice job.

thanks man. took a long time. still have a few things to add here and there but just figured might as well launch and then just add on. found some cool teleconnector stuff that i'm trying to figure out how best to incorporate.

Kevin already has the dewpoint link in his favorites.

Yup..it's number one..I bumped out the nude male site you sent me.

What happened to the low dews ? Still mostly in the 60's everywhere .

I'm convinced the ASOS sensors are too low on dews . The home stations are always higher..and since most people live where there's foliage..would seem to be more accurate.

Kevin already has the dewpoint link in his favorites.

it's pretty humid still out this way. hoping it's enough to fire off a t-storm. lol.

was thinking this morning though, we still haven't really had any real humid weather. highest dews we've had have been 68-71 type stuff. none of that horrendous 74-78 type air we seem to pull off every once in a while.

I'm convinced the ASOS sensors are too low on dews . The home stations are always higher..and since most people live where there's foliage..would seem to be more accurate.

LOL

Overall the ASOS sites I think are a better representation. I understand your argument, but those meso sites are prone to the high evapotranspiration that occurs locally near the ground. Those locally higher dews will get mixed out pretty easily.

it's pretty humid still out this way. hoping it's enough to fire off a t-storm. lol.

was thinking this morning though, we still haven't really had any real humid weather. highest dews we've had have been 68-71 type stuff. none of that horrendous 74-78 type air we seem to pull off every once in a while.

Yeah dews are pretty moist out that way. BOS TD dropped to 57 with a temp of 84, so possibly the dews may mix out a bit over the interior as the temp warms, but might be enough moisture for a few shwrs or iso tstm. Maybe we have the classic east coast seabreeze meeting the south coast seabreeze to fire off a tstm down by Wareham..lol.

Different type of humidity sensors. In the morning the home stations are more prone to spikes. ASOS is much more accurate. I believe they use the Humicap technology from Vaisala.

Winds are fairly light right now so once the westerlies kick in we'll mix some drier air down.

Sucks we couldn't catch up over the long holiday for a few brews. I know you seemed pretty busy and it would have been tough for me to get away..unless you could have come out to FMH

in the sense of that's where people sit and hang out, i guess there's an argument to be had there. it's like certain people's backyards are cooler simply because they have more shade than someone else.

but if you got above the trees a bit or into a field or whatnot...or people place actual hygrometer/psychrometers where they are supposed to be placed...asos is reality.

Different type of humidity sensors. In the morning the home stations are more prone to spikes. ASOS is much more accurate. I believe they use the Humicap technology from Vaisala.

Winds are fairly light right now so once the westerlies kick in we'll mix some drier air down.

Maybe..but I think all the moisture in the ground from the winter snows and spring rains are allowing the dews to remain higher overall than they generally would be

I guess they're out here ...bottomed at 50 ..now 53 here.. Dew that is..... Had a report of 45 low temp. in the elevated western Catskills today.

Sucks we couldn't catch up over the long holiday for a few brews. I know you seemed pretty busy and it would have been tough for me to get away..unless you could have come out to FMH

yeah turned out i had basically zero free hours all weekend. ended up having a bunch of family in town and multiple cookouts etc.

can't make the conference so will have to hope there's a TC to chase in august or september. :lol:

Yeah dews are pretty moist out that way. BOS TD dropped to 57 with a temp of 84, so possibly the dews may mix out a bit over the interior as the temp warms, but might be enough moisture for a few shwrs or iso tstm. Maybe we have the classic east coast seabreeze meeting the south coast seabreeze to fire off a tstm down by Wareham..lol.

saw that yeah. kind of surprised actually given they've still got variable/light winds.

LOL

Overall the ASOS sites I think are a better representation. I understand your argument, but those meso sites are prone to the high evapotranspiration that occurs locally near the ground. Those locally higher dews will get mixed out pretty easily.

After a decent rad cooling night with a rapid morning warmup there can be a little condensation that forms on the home sensors...especially with calm winds. Then there is the rapid evaporation of the dew that forms and the ET you mentioned. Most of the home sites are probably a little more humid, but it's a little overdone in the morning.

Maybe..but I think all the moisture in the ground from the winter snows and spring rains are allowing the dews to remain higher overall than they generally would be

Evapotranspiration is the big contributor to higher rural dews. It's also the reason why the countrysides tend to be cooler since ET is a latent cooling process.

After a decent rad cooling night with a rapid morning warmup there can be a little condensation that forms on the home sensors...especially with calm winds. Then there is the rapid evaporation of the dew that forms and the ET you mentioned. Most of the home sites are probably a little more humid, but it's a little overdone in the morning.

Even in places like where my folks live, it feels really humid during the early morning and again in the evening as they are surrounded by dense woods...and you can almost smell that moist/damp air coming in from the woods. But if indeed we had large areas of ET affecting the sensors and adding about 5 degrees to the dewpoint, then we would see this result in the metars like they do in Des Moines IA and places like that.

Archived