Newest Member
    amirah5
2010-2011 SNE snowfall map

ORH_wxman

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pics?

lol... I was coming back from a meeting across town on a pretty quiet road.... dusk/dark.

His highness (or her? did not see the moose weenie or a rack) was parked about 50-100 feet from my car. He hung out for a minute or two then ambled up a drivweay.

I see their tracks from time to time but had not seen one here in town before.

My cruddy phone has an even cruddier camera. Even with our "good" camera, I doubt I could get a pic of one.

Peepers out in full force tonight

100" no, I agree. No 100" contour.

You have spots way way over 1000' in the 80 to 89", when here under 500' we had over 95". I promise you the eles over 1000' close to here had over 95" if not near 100" and they are not just some bump like MQE, who all the time we see little contours for. It's a common misconception, roughly 80" in ASH and 85" in MHT that it somehow translates into 80-85 county-wide.

There was a screw zone in the Milford/Hollis zone over to Jaffrey, so its actually not as much as you think in a normal year in those spots. I can maybe extend the line slightly further SE, but not by much. I know for a fact that those areas near New Ipswich, even with good elevation, didn't do nearly as well as they normally do. I have a large portion of Cheshire county in the <90" zone...its not by accident.

Next winter

Dry slot, Powderfreak, Allenson ,Maine Jayhawk, Arnold214

ha. yes nne will do great next year but Kevin will still be too busy calling for widespread 8-16" that he'll still be a top poster. Wiz will use his time talking about the whales and he'll find a winter severe threat. Scott will still post no matter what with one word posts (crushed) after the 00z euro shows a bomb. Will will start finding threats in September and wont give up until the following August. Ray will say that now that he's gotten a KU and isn't chasing records, 1-3" is just an inconvenience. 12+ or bust.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

ha. yes nne will do great next year but Kevin will still be too busy calling for widespread 8-16" that he'll still be a top poster. Wiz will use his time talking about the whales and he'll find a winter severe threat. Scott will still post no matter what with one word posts (crushed) after the 00z euro shows a bomb. Will will start finding threats in September and wont give up until the following August. Ray will say that now that he's gotten a KU and isn't chasing records, 1-3" is just an inconvenience. 12+ or bust.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Will never ever posts about snow threats in July... for the Cape

There was a screw zone in the Milford/Hollis zone over to Jaffrey, so its actually not as much as you think in a normal year in those spots. I can maybe extend the line slightly further SE, but not by much. I know for a fact that those areas near New Ipswich, even with good elevation, didn't do nearly as well as they normally do. I have a large portion of Cheshire county in the <90" zone...its not by accident.

What are the amounts you have for that area? I understand this wasn't an elevation winter or a typical SE/NW gradient, however I'm thinking undermeasuring if the Milford co-op was well under 90".

My area on the map needs to be tweaked. Newport should be in the 40-49 inch range. Even though the southern portions of Newport may not have even cracked 40. My estimate is that MBY had between 37-39 but this is not an official measurement because whenever snow turns to rain I get cranky...I stop measuring and I take my ball and go home. The upper parts of Aquidenck Island...the town of Portsmouth...8+ plus miles to my north may have eked out 50 inches. Accordingly I feel the map should reflect the gradient for Aquidneck Island's snow totals from anywhere from 38 to I'd estimate 50-54 inches from south to north.

The gradient from east to west was even more dramatic this winter. Whenever I drove over the two bridges toward South Kingstown, RI 10 miles across the Bay it was like climbing 5 thousand feet in elevation because there was always so much snow on the other side of the two bridges that cross Narragansett Bay.

Anyone know New Bedford's total, or some of the totals for the extreme South Coast of MA west of Wareham?? I know New Bedford had more snow than I had. I'd say at least 10 inches more.

My area on the map needs to be tweaked. Newport should be in the 40-49 inch range. Even though the southern portions of Newport may not have even cracked 40. My estimate is that MBY had between 37-39 but this is not an official measurement because whenever snow turns to rain I get cranky...I stop measuring and I take my ball and go home. The upper parts of Aquidenck Island...the town of Portsmouth...8+ plus miles to my north may have eked out 50 inches. Accordingly I feel the map should reflect the gradient for Aquidneck Island's snow totals from anywhere from 38 to I'd estimate 50-54 inches from south to north.

The gradient from east to west was even more dramatic this winter. Whenever I drove over the two bridges toward South Kingstown, RI 10 miles across the Bay it was like climbing 5 thousand feet in elevation because there was always so much snow on the other side of the two bridges that cross Narragansett Bay.

Anyone know New Bedford's total, or some of the totals for the extreme South Coast of MA west of Wareham?? I know New Bedford had more snow than I had. I'd say at least 10 inches more.

I know someone in Bristol and he claims 39.5", although he did say it could be a little low...but he got screwed and dryslotted like a lot of you down there. I don't think those areas got that much more over 40".

Anyone know New Bedford's total, or some of the totals for the extreme South Coast of MA west of Wareham?? I know New Bedford had more snow than I had.  I'd say at least 10 inches more.

I don't know about New Bedford..probably similar to what I have. I do know that about 10-15 miles to the north of me near Carver..they probably have >50"

I know someone in Bristol and he claims 39.5", although he did say it could be a little low...but he got screwed and dryslotted like a lot of you down there. I don't think those areas got that much more over 40".

Yeah, that total is low..I'm sure Bristol had at least 50 inches. Bristol is at least 13 miles north of me and every time I drove north out of Newport through the middle and upper parts of the island Newport is part of.... in January the snow depths would increase about every two miles. The south end of Fall River is only 25 minutes NE of me and whenever there's any type of changeover or taint they get signficantly more snow than I do...

Yeah, that total is low..I'm sure Bristol had at least 50 inches. Bristol is at least 13 miles north of me and every time I drove north out of Newport through the middle and upper parts of the island Newport is part of.... in January the snow depths would increase about every two miles. The south end of Fall River is only 25 minutes NE of me and whenever there's any type of changeover or taint they get signficantly more snow than I do...

They def did not have that much. I remember him talking about snow amounts and how they got screwed all the time. No way they had 50". I think 40 or just a bit higher, does it.

Not often that Jaffrey is in a screwzone...wow; I don't beat them often.

Good. I'm tired of them always dancing in the dendrites. Mini payback for '01 and '03.

Def the operative word......this warrants about 20 buns, but there aren't many days that go by that I do not attempt to fantasize about (knock yourself out, Kev) what it must have been like to reside in Jaffrey during the 2001 season.

Def the operative word......this warrants about 20 buns, but there aren't many days that go by that I do not attempt to fantasize about (knock yourself out, Kev) what it must have been like to reside in Jaffrey during the 2001 season.

Weenies crossed for a weak Nino next year..lol.

Well there are definitely some issues with the map. I do live on a hill, facing SW, and on the SW side, and my street seems to have a snow gem up it's wanker which all the neighbors can vouch for, but here are my totals of the past 5 years -

2006-2007 - 30.25"

2007-2008 - 53.5"

2008-2009 - 73.5" (17th Place Now)

2009-2010 - 50"

2010-2011 - 88.5" (5th Place Now)

Sorry for being a little late:

67" in Middletown, CT. All but 9.5" fell between Dec. 26th and Jan 26th. No snowfalls greater than 3" outside that period.

I think the current map looks great, but is a little generous for northern Middlesex county in CT. I'm guessing most places near here were between 65-70 for the season.

They def did not have that much. I remember him talking about snow amounts and how they got screwed all the time. No way they had 50". I think 40 or just a bit higher, does it.

Your co-worker got screwed, but he got screwed in the context of comparing snow totals in the middle of Narragansett Bay where he lives compared to NE MA where if I'm not mistaken is where he works. Plus he may be forgetting about the nickel and dime events in February and March that still count..... If he lived where I live...he really would've felt screwed. 13 miles can make a huge difference down here. If you drive 13 miles south down Route 3 I don't believe the snow differentials are as dramatic as they are for me because there's nothing but the Atlantic Ocean a couple tenths of a mile south of where I live.

Southern Newport's snow total was in the mid to upper 30s. There's absolutely no way Bristol only had a couple more inches than I did. Even the NW side of Newport near the bridge had at least 5 more inches than I did and that's only 3 miles north of me. I was on the Navy Base in Newport late afternoon during the Boxing Day Storm and when I left the base the visibility was below a half mile in moderate/hvy snow with a temperature of 31-32...when I got out of the car 15 minutes later where I live I immediately felt the relative warmth with temps about 2 degrees warmer and a viz. about three quarters...the snow wasn't completely accumulating under some of the bushes...and snow was beginning to melt off the trees....Meanwhile the snow depths..road-side/driveway piles for Portsmouth, RI for all of January..which sits on this Island 6-12 miles north of me...were double what I had and Portsmouth is south of Bristol by at least a couple miles. Bristol may not have eclipsed the magic 50 inch mark, but it was at least 47 and quite likely even higher. In fact there wasn't a single event this past winter where I received more snow than Bristol.

There was a snow event during the winter of 2008-2009 that occurred on a saturday night/early sunday morning...with part 2 occurring on a sunday night. The event was preceded by a bitter cold air mass. I was leaving East Greenwich, RI at midnight on saturday and snow was beginning to fall. Temps were in the lower-mid-teens. Some 19 miles later when I arrived back in Newport I got out of the car and felt the warmth as the gusty southerly winds had risen temperatures into the 30s. I woke up Sunday morning and Newport had changed to rain and less than an inch of snow had fallen. 7 miles to my north and beyond the southerly winds didn't make much of a difference and areas like Portsmouth and Bristol stayed all snow picking up a good 4 inches.

Archived