• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2010-2011 SNE snowfall map

ORH_wxman

The January 14th and January 27th events were the highlights of January 2004. Both were snowier on LI than Westchester...but not by any major amount. December 2003 also had the event on the 14th that put down around 5" on LI...not sure about Westchester. The major event on December 5th was probably somewhat snowier on LI. February 2004 saw the South Fork get clipped with up to 5" but almost everyone else on LI got zip. March 2004 looks fairly close between Westchester and LI....

We had about 8" from the cold clipper, then almost 14" on 1/27-28/04. I was very close to the jackpot on that one, although I think there were a couple of higher totals not far away. At one point, we had 8" in a three hour period.

1/27-28/2004 was an awesome storm here:

http://www.northshor...om/20040128.asp

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The January 14th and January 27th events were the highlights of January 2004. Both were snowier on LI than Westchester...but not by any major amount. December 2003 also had the event on the 14th that put down around 5" on LI...not sure about Westchester. The major event on December 5th was probably somewhat snowier on LI. February 2004 saw the South Fork get clipped with up to 5" but almost everyone else on LI got zip. March 2004 looks fairly close between Westchester and LI....

Is the Bridgehampton total on the S fork correct?

I'm assuming it is since it would match the cutoff from NE to SW that happened in SE MA...and I recall several storms that probably screwed them but hammered north-central LI. Ala 1/11-12.

But was just making sure that they weren't 6" too low.

Guest Pamela

In retrospect, 2003-04 may have been a little snowier at Upton than Dobbs Ferry, but overall, northern LI and Westchester had fairly similar totals that winter...

Guest Pamela

Is the Bridgehampton total on the S fork correct?

I'm assuming it is since it would match the cutoff from NE to SW that happened in SE MA...and I recall several storms that probably screwed them but hammered north-central LI. Ala 1/11-12.

But was just making sure that they weren't 6" too low.

Says 4.0" for Bridgehampton on 2/17 and I believe that correct...I recorded a trace...I remember all models said it would just miss and they were right...

Guest Pamela

We had about 8" from the cold clipper, then almost 14" on 1/27-28/04. I was very close to the jackpot on that one, although I think there were a couple of higher totals not far away. At one point, we had 8" in a three hour period.

1/27-28/2004 was an awesome storm here:

http://www.northshor...om/20040128.asp

I took another look at the PNS's and Westchester by no means missed either of the 1/2004 events...just had slightly toned down results...

Guest Pamela

So think the 44.1" is correct?

Is that what they got for the winter? Eh, probably is...IIRC while Upton got around 20" on 12/6/03, the South Fork had a dry slot and some rainshowers...

Guest Pamela

I'm talking about 2010-2011 for my snow map.

I had absolutely no idea as the question was a response to a 2003-04 quote....but probably is...certain areas are climatological certainties to find ways to screw themselves up with regards to snow and the S. Fork falls into that category...

I had absolutely no idea as the question was a response to a 2003-04 quote....but probably is...certain areas are climatological certainties to find ways to screw themselves up with regards to snow and the S. Fork falls into that category...

Yeah sorry for not specifying...I was interested in the south fork total for 2010-2011 as I plot my map. I think they probably got screwed quite a bit this winter compared to the central part of the island, but I wanted to be sure that they really got 44" rather than like 50" because I want to be accurate. The total I got from a poster on the shore near Fire Island would likely confirm that.

Guest Pamela

Yeah sorry for not specifying...I was interested in the south fork total for 2010-2011 as I plot my map. I think they probably got screwed quite a bit this winter compared to the central part of the island, but I wanted to be sure that they really got 44" rather than like 50" because I want to be accurate. The total I got from a poster on the shore near Fire Island would likely confirm that.

Looks like Bridgehampton did ok with the 1/11 event but came in last place with the 1/26...1/26 was the rain to snow thing with 5" an hour over west and central LI...that missed the East End...,yep, the low # out there make sense....

Guest Pamela

Upton has measured 481.3 inches of snow over the last 11 winters...2000-01 through 2010-11...an average of 43.75 inches of snow per year..making the last 11 years a solid foot snowier than average...I'd be willing to bet that is the largest anomaly for a station in the NYC area during those years.

http://www.bnl.gov/w...hlySnowfall.htm

Bear in mind that included in the 11 year average are 3 (three) sub 12 inch years....

90" +/- 1 or 2 inches. Getting home from work after snow compacting comes into play. But looks pretty close with CON at 85.9

96.6" here, I'm pretty sure the higher hills and mountains around here were near 95-100"+, though there were not many elevation events this winter. No one ever seems to get the snowfall gradient right in this county. lol

96.6" here, I'm pretty sure the higher hills and mountains around here were near 95-100"+, though there were not many elevation events this winter. No one ever seems to get the snowfall gradient right in this county. lol

Havent seen any evidence of 100" totals in that county. Maybe the top of a high hill. But I'm not going to put it on the map just for that. Wachusett probably had over 100" at the top but I didn't bother with a 100"contour there.

Archived