• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2010-2011 SNE snowfall map

ORH_wxman

Not me. I go with around 32 -33 for the "snowbelt" and William and I have discussed the possibility that the 400 foot location may approach 35"

If this is true, it means Will is right and parts of LI only see 2-3" less snowfall per year than Dobbs Ferry. I guess I underestimated, although I think the majority of towns are around 30"/season.

33" is probably a bit more than the average in the extreme SE corner of Westchester, in urban areas like Mt. Vernon and New Rochelle. Those towns seem to get a lot less snow than Dobbs Ferry so I wouldn't be surprised to see them average less than the snowy spots of LI's North Shore.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note that I posted that Upton's 64 year average (1947-48 to 2010-11) is 31.7". That includes the past 15 years which were very snowy, but also long periods of non-snowy years. The Cutchogue co-op's average from 1898 to 1937 (with a few missing years) was 32.4":

http://www.wrcc.dri....iMAIN.pl?ny1949

Cutchogue is way out east on the North Fork of LI, while Upton is at 80 feet elevation only about 12 miles west of the Twin Forks. Neither is in an ideal spot for snow on LI, with the heaviest seasonal snowfall likely somewhere in the North Shore hills from Muttontown/Laurel Hollow in NE Nassau to Selden/Port Jefferson in central Suffolk.

During the last 16 years, Upton's average was 39.5", while NorthShoreWx's average in Smithtown was 38". It's hard to prove this, but experience with past events suggests that Smithtown would beat out Upton enough times due to being further west and north to end up averaging about the same seasonal snowfall as Upton in the longer term record, or even 0.5 to 1" higher.

I thought you said most places on the N Shore are around 30"?

Sure, I can see isolated areas being around 33", but I doubt it's a majority of LI's North Shore.

134" so far, still could get more though it's starting to be a long shot. The Berkshires did well this season.

Yeah, this was a good B+ winter in these parts. Had I not narrowly missed out on the 1/27 thundersnow bomb and/or gotten some decent snow in March, I would've given at least an A-. These two things left me with a bit of an empty feeling at the end of the winter (and the bust on 4/1 as well). There were a lot of very compact, but intense storms this winter that, for the most part, were able to get at least some decent snows in here. The 1/12 event featured a massive meso band that gave this area its largest hit since March 2001. Some areas just to my east had over 30" in less than 12 hours from that one. Incredible! I had about 20-21", but it was hard to measure the fluffy, wind-driven snow. Boxing Day was a nice event here too with 16.5". The best of the meso band was about 10-15 miles to my west along the NY 22 corridor with that one, but I was in it for a good while. We were able to recoup the miss from the 1/27 event with a number of nickle and dime events.

This winter is a case in point that the Berkshires seem to benefit more from patterns that favor SNE. Although our elevation gives much of this area a climate that is more on par with CNE and some of the higher terrain near 2K a climate more like NNE, our geographic location is such that we will typically do best with good SNE snow patterns (with the exception of the 04-05 winter when we had a lot narrow misses and glancing blows). The synoptics that favor CNE and especially NNE, often do not help us a great deal. Case in point, the 07-08 winter was epic in NNE, but we got royally screwed in that latitudinal snow gradient. Our elevation didn't help much and we had many rain and 34 events that year. The southern Berks were a bit below average that year, while the northern Berks were near average. The latter part of this winter was like this to a degree as well when NNE made up a lot of ground (i.e. 2/25 and 3/6-7 in VT and upstate NY). Granted our terrain can give us a bit of a boost from upsloping (i.e. 12/6-7 which gave me 8-9" from persistent upslope snow showers) and in elevation events, we are still in the SNE zone synoptically. As always, there are exceptions to the rule, but I'm talking in general terms here.

I bet there's two large differences from Liberty Pole (which seams to have it's own micro-climate) to the harbor.

My parents live in Centre Hingham :D and will not get as much snow as my friends in the boonies of Cushing Street.

Yeah that's the sw part of town. You get away from the water and up a couple of hundred feet and they probably avg more for sure.

Apologies if this is known, but I just discovered this from the MA thread. I knew Iowa State had archive national mosaic imagery, but here is single site data.

http://mesonet.agron...-KBOX-WS-W-0007

I'm still trying to navigate the site, but it appears to have radar imagery from most, if not all storm events. This is really cool. It doesn't go by date, you have to choose what type of event it was (i.e winter storm) and the event number, but you can easily tell what event it was by the date of the radar imagery.

Edit: it might be a little slow to load the radar imagery. You might have to play with that event timeline slidebar on the left. Also, you can just click "radar map" and you'll get the regional map without the warnings on it.

Upton, Long Island hasn't posted it's March total yet, but I have the total from the Mar 24 event. There was only one other very minor event in March, which produced less than an inch island-wide (Mar 22). Thus Upton's total for 2010-11 was 62" plus or minus a half-inch, and now their 1947-2010 average is 31.7".

Keep in mind that Upton is at only 85 foot elevation, and further east than the spots that are likely the snowiest on LI (somewhere between Muttontown/Laurel Hollow in NE Nassau County and Port Jefferson in central Suffolk County).

Yea, and disregard the JFK total because they either didn't measure a couple of events or severely undermeasured them. I know there was at least one event for which they didn't even submit a report. The total for southern Brooklyn - Queens - Nassau was between 60-65" (Ant, JM, Ace, Me.) I measured 62.3"

MLK storm was one of Kevin's biggest meltdowns on the boards.

Absolutely. I don't have many meltdowns.

But I completey lost it that day.

Really the event the day after the MLK storm.

When it was supposed to snow here and it was rain..and i get home and see you posting pictures of you and Megan having sex in 12 inches of heavy wet snow in the woods.

I just flipped.

Absolutely. I don't have many meltdowns.

But I completey lost it that day.

Really the event the day after the MLK storm.

When it was supposed to snow here and it was rain..and i get home and see you posting pictures of you and Megan having sex in 12 inches of heavy wet snow in he woods.

I just flipped.

Oh man did I just burst out laughing. LOL, that was classic.

Yeah, this was a good B+ winter in these parts. Had I not narrowly missed out on the 1/27 thundersnow bomb and/or gotten some decent snow in March, I would've given at least an A-. These two things left me with a bit of an empty feeling at the end of the winter (and the bust on 4/1 as well). There were a lot of very compact, but intense storms this winter that, for the most part, were able to get at least some decent snows in here. The 1/12 event featured a massive meso band that gave this area its largest hit since March 2001. Some areas just to my east had over 30" in less than 12 hours from that one. Incredible! I had about 20-21", but it was hard to measure the fluffy, wind-driven snow. Boxing Day was a nice event here too with 16.5". The best of the meso band was about 10-15 miles to my west along the NY 22 corridor with that one, but I was in it for a good while. We were able to recoup the miss from the 1/27 event with a number of nickle and dime events.

This winter is a case in point that the Berkshires seem to benefit more from patterns that favor SNE. Although our elevation gives much of this area a climate that is more on par with CNE and some of the higher terrain near 2K a climate more like NNE, our geographic location is such that we will typically do best with good SNE snow patterns (with the exception of the 04-05 winter when we had a lot narrow misses and glancing blows). The synoptics that favor CNE and especially NNE, often do not help us a great deal. Case in point, the 07-08 winter was epic in NNE, but we got royally screwed in that latitudinal snow gradient. Our elevation didn't help much and we had many rain and 34 events that year. The southern Berks were a bit below average that year, while the northern Berks were near average. The latter part of this winter was like this to a degree as well when NNE made up a lot of ground (i.e. 2/25 and 3/6-7 in VT and upstate NY). Granted our terrain can give us a bit of a boost from upsloping (i.e. 12/6-7 which gave me 8-9" from persistent upslope snow showers) and in elevation events, we are still in the SNE zone synoptically. As always, there are exceptions to the rule, but I'm talking in general terms here.

I'm willing to give it an A. The persistent cold and epic January sealed the deal. A deep snowpack is not unusual here but it seemed when it wasn't snowing it was quite cold. I had more -10 or lower morning lows this year than any in recent memory. Cold and snow, a beautiful combo. The other factor for me was the backcountry skiing was fantastic for most of the Winter. (a slow start was the only blemish). I still have some snow hanging on but, alas, the end is near. Glad to have you aboard here as I've enjoyed your obs/input throughout the Winter. You and Andy (WX4Cast) provide a great western counter balance to what can sometimes be a Eastern centric forum. Let's hope next Winter is as entertaining.

Archived