• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2010-2011 SNE snowfall map

ORH_wxman

Absurd...Since 00-01, NYC has been above normal seven years (00-01, 02-03, 03-04, 04-05, 05-06, 09-10, 10-11) with normal snowfall one year (08-09). Winter 10-11 was the 3rd snowiest in Central Park's history, and 10-11/09-10 were the snowiest consecutive winters ever.

I've recorded 183" of snow here since the beginning of the 08-09 Winter; this includes five storms of 12"+, and 9 storms of 8"+...that's a lot for down here. Oh, how the rich get richer. Snowman.gif

One has to wonder if climo is going to pimp slap you guys back to reality. Maybe not...and it's just part of a snowy cycle, but as the saying goes...climo is a b*tch.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One has to wonder if climo is going to pimp slap you guys back to reality. Maybe not...and it's just part of a snowy cycle, but as the saying goes...climo is a b*tch.

I like where we are headed with the solar min and -NAO decadal cycle, as well as the -PDO that seems to cool down North America. I happen to think a lot of snowy winters lie ahead, but who knows?

It will, we just don't know when it will be. We are due to get knocked down too. We had a bit of a screw job in '09-'10 but it actually was pretty close to avg snowfall for a lot of the area. It just felt like less since we missed some big storms.

ORH is averaging 76.4" of snow since 1992-1993...that is 19 seasons worth. BOS is averaging 52.2" in that same 19 year span. That won't last.

BOS had their 7th snowiest winter on record with 81.0"...behind 1992-1993 in 6th place at 83.9".

BDL had their 5th snowiest winter on record with 86.4"...behind 1966-1967 in 5th place at 89.1".

ORH missed out on top 10 officially with 92.6" which is good for 13th place. But I believe their severe under measurement on 1/18 cost them a couple spots. They should have been around 96" which would have been 11th.

PVD was too far SE to get in on really big snows but still was comfortably above average with 53.2"

BDL is number 2 on record. The numbers you are using are incorrect.

BDL is number 2 on record. The numbers you are using are incorrect.

You know that BOX revised one of their totals right? I think it was like a month ago or something when they did it.

They currently have:

Dec....14.2"

Jan.....54.3"

Feb.....15.6"

Mar......1.0"

Apr......1.3"

Total.....86.4"

You know that BOX revised one of their totals right? I think it was like a month ago or something when they did it.

They currently have:

Dec....14.2"

Jan.....54.3"

Feb.....15.6"

Mar......1.0"

Apr......1.3"

Total.....86.4"

no no... your yealry total is correct but your list of the top 10 is incorrect. The correct numbers from BOX (and the coop data) are...

1. 115.2 INCHES 1995-96

2. 84.9 INCHES 1993-94

3. 82.8 INCHES 1966-67

4. 82.3 INCHES 1977-78

5. 80.2 INCHES 1960-61

6. 79.9 INCHES 1945-46

7. 77.7 INCHES 1947-48

8. 77.1 INCHES 1915-16

9. 76.1 INCHES 1955-56

10. 74.1 INCHES 2004-05

It will, we just don't know when it will be. We are due to get knocked down too. We had a bit of a screw job in '09-'10 but it actually was pretty close to avg snowfall for a lot of the area. It just felt like less since we missed some big storms.

ORH is averaging 76.4" of snow since 1992-1993...that is 19 seasons worth. BOS is averaging 52.2" in that same 19 year span. That won't last.

Yeah we will gets ours, but we got slapped in the 80s into early 90s after a nice 20+ year period of good winters so hopefully we can continue this for another 10+ years or so. Who knows, but at least the bigger puzzle pieces are there for good winters as you, Nate, and others have pointed out.

It's funny to see some of the younger crowd on here go through some of these winters. They are fortunate enough to have been born just in time for this great stretch of winters. I cherish these winters, because I know what it was like during many winters in the 80s to early 90s. It was the Dec '92 bomb that started the parade.

Yeah we will gets ours, but we got slapped in the 80s into early 90s after a nice 20+ year period of good winters so hopefully we can continue this for another 10+ years or so. Who knows, but at least the bigger puzzle pieces are there for good winters as you, Nate, and others have pointed out.

It's funny to see some of the younger crowd on here go through some of these winters. They are fortunate enough to have been born just in time for this great stretch of winters. I cherish these winters, because I know what it was like during many winters in the 80s to early 90s. It was the Dec '92 bomb that started the parade.

I know... 84-91 was just absolutely dreadful for many areas

From all the raw coop data (downtown and at BDL) and from BOX

It looks like some of them match when going onto NCDC and getting the data that way via coop, but it still has 1966-1967 and 1977-1978 ahead of this year. Though I wouldn't know how to verify if its right. It has the lower '93-'94 total when doing it that way though. Where on BOX has other data? I'm not surprised at the errors, I just didn't know where the other info is coming from.

I have found a lot of errors in the ORH data too over the years. The BOS data is really the only one I trust.

1988-1989 through 1991-1992....only 4 year stretch on record here that failed to have a 10"+ snowstorm. Absolutely brutal. I definitely paid my dues before this good period.

1988-1989 through 1991-1992....only 4 year stretch on record here that failed to have a 10"+ snowstorm. Absolutely brutal. I definitely paid my dues before this good period.

I know it's very early, but early speculation of next winter looks decent if you consider we could have a weak ENSO (Nino or Nina) and -QBO. Just an early guess...obviously things can change.

Hey Will, what did the Ashburnham coop have for a seasonal total? Slant stick total below.

77.3" but just to their west I have a total of 80.9" so anywhere in the high 70s to low 80s is a normal range. There was a sharp cutoff it seemed. Princeton/Holden region had 99-100"

77.3" but just to their west I have a total of 80.9" so anywhere in the high 70s to low 80s is a normal range. There was a sharp cutoff it seemed. Princeton/Holden region had 99-100"

Is there an ASH coop that actively measures?

So it will probably suck? That was the consensus of this winter and it was pretty awesome. popcorn.gif

jk hug.gif

It could..we don't know and it is obviously way early in the game, but we have possibly two nice factors on our side. That doesn't necessarily dictate an epic winter at all, but I wouldn't scoff at it either.

You know we're in the doldrums if we are talking about winter '11/'12.

Yeah but they haven't released their data after February. Not that they got a lot in Mar/Apr but they had 73.1" it appears through Feb 28.

Really close to my measurements actually. Adding the 2'' in March and 5'' in April, I'm only 2'' under their total.

Really close to my measurements actually. Adding the 2'' in March and 5'' in April, I'm only 2'' under their total.

I'll probably put your area down for 80" just so I don't have to have a little 70s contour running there. :lol:

If you add your Mar/Apr total to their Dec-Feb total then its 80"...good enough for me. Esp if you think you might have been late on a couple of your measurements. (i.e. a bit low with compaction, or settling)

Archived