• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
2010-2011 SNE snowfall map

ORH_wxman

Well I want it to be as accurate as possible. I could def see that Goffstown hills area cracking 90" this season. Though I found it strange that until the most recent post, he seemed to be implying my error was in SW Hillsborough where Milford/New Ipswich are. Despite the much igher terrain out there, they got screwed.

I wonder how the Windblown xc ski area in New Ipswich fared this year... they are barely hanging on

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I want it to be as accurate as possible. I could def see that Goffstown hills area cracking 90" this season. Though I found it strange that until the most recent post, he seemed to be implying my error was in SW Hillsborough where Milford/New Ipswich are. Despite the much igher terrain out there, they got screwed.

There were several reports from SNH above 90". Didn't the poster in Bow show 91"? 95" here, which you should have no reason to contest. It seems you're just being the contrarian , some bias showing ? lol

11/8/10: T

11/26/10: .3" zr

12/04-12/6/10: T

12/12/10: T

12/20/10: T

12/21/10: .3"

12/22 -12/23/10: 1.1"

12/26-12/27/10: 9.3"

1/7- 1/8/11: .8"

1/11- 1/12/11 18.4"

1/15: 1.1"

1/18/11: 8.0"

1/19/11: 1.2"

1/21/11: 7.5"

1/25/11: .5"

1/26/11: 5.5" ***

{2/1/11: 5.4"

2/2 2/3:} 6.9" TOTAL: 12.3"

2/8: 3.2"

2/25-26- 7.7"

2/27 8.1"

3/1: .2"

3/2: .8"

3/21: 3.0"

3/31 -4/1: 7.4"

4/? .3"

There were several reports from SNH above 90". Didn't the poster in Bow show 91"? 95" here, which you should have no reason to contest. It seems you're just being the contrarian , some bias showing ? lol

I changed it already, relax. I put the 90" contour across N Hillsborough and S Merrimack county. If I thought it was wrong, I wouldn't have changed it.

LOL.. why are you arguing on water (snow) that has already melted and evaporated into the atmosphere.. I could care less if Will put 10" here. Boxing day (Tip's favorite storm) effed everyone in CT, MA and NH... we know that... should be over 100" easy.

Will you sleep better if a poster in ORH gives you an extra 5"?

Will,

I hate to be a coastal Rhode Island nit-picking narcaccist, but can you tweak the Southern Rhode Island totals? #1. The SE corner of the Rhode Island mainland... SE Washington County, RI...specifically northern Narragansett, South Kingstown, and North Kingstown on the mainland all had between 50-59 inches. When you cross the two bridges leaving Newport the first town you enter is South Kingstown..and the moment you got off the bridge this winter you immediately realized how much more snow there was there compared to Newport. In all my years following weather I've never seen such a dramatic increase in snow totals across Narragansett Bay because the 32 degree isotherm set up shop in the same spot just west of the Newport Bridge for all three big storms this winter.

#2. The southern tip of Newport...and only the southern tip of Newport should be in the 30-39 inch range. Middletown and Portsmouth..just north of Newport on Aquidneck Island...are safely in the 40-49 inch range.

Will,

I hate to be a coastal Rhode Island nit-picking narcaccist, but can you tweak the Southern Rhode Island totals? #1. The SE corner of the Rhode Island mainland... SE Washington County, RI...specifically northern Narragansett, South Kingstown, and North Kingstown on the mainland all had between 50-59 inches. When you cross the two bridges leaving Newport the first town you enter is South Kingstown..and the moment you got off the bridge this winter you immediately realized how much more snow there was there compared to Newport. In all my years following weather I've never seen such a dramatic increase in snow totals across Narragansett Bay because the 32 degree isotherm set up shop in the same spot just west of the Newport Bridge for all three big storms this winter.

#2. The southern tip of Newport...and only the southern tip of Newport should be in the 30-39 inch range. Middletown and Portsmouth..just north of Newport on Aquidneck Island...are safely in the 40-49 inch range.

Any idea what Jamestown might have had?

LOL.. why are you arguing on water (snow) that has already melted and evaporated into the atmosphere.. I could care less if Will put 10" here. Boxing day (Tip's favorite storm) effed everyone in CT, MA and NH... we know that... should be over 100" easy.

Will you sleep better if a poster in ORH gives you an extra 5"?

Come on dude, I didn't think it was cool when everyone was ganging up on you this winter and now you're doing the same thing to birving. He's an intentionally controversial poster and he can handle himself, but you know better than anyone how he feels. Don't get me wrong snownh...I'm on your side, I enjoyed your posts this winter... I just hate to see people jumping on top of a pile because it's such an easy thing to do.

Any idea what Jamestown might have had?

I had less than 40 inches about 7 miles SE of Jamestown...I'd say Jamestown averaged about 45 inches+ with a little more on the western shores of the island. Whenever I crossed the Newport Bridge there certainly was more snow at the toll plaza in Jamestown than in Newport, but the difference was more dramatic when you exited the Jamestown Bridge entering South Kingstown.

What's really hilarious was how BIRV told all winter how much winter sucked this year now he begs Will for a contour change. La Epic posts by him.

it is Will that should care because I would guess he is pretty picky about getting it pretty close to 100% perfect , after putting the time in to organize it on an annual basis. I was not begging anyone to do anything, more giving him a hard time. I also don't really have time to go through every PNS and start nit picking (like I should), so that is my fault.

it is Will that should care because I would guess he is pretty picky about getting it pretty close to 100% perfect , after putting the time in to organize it on an annual basis. I was not begging anyone to do anything, more giving him a hard time. I also don't really have time to go through every PNS and start nit picking (like I should), so that is my fault.

I changed it and then you still accused of me of being biased. I changed it because I thought it was correct that those hill towns NW of MHT did get over 90"...I think the reaction you got was because you first seemed to keep challenging my totals in SW Hillsborough county where they always get more (or almost always)...but didn't this year....then made a condescending comment instead of simply giving a friendly constructive criticism. You were mostly smug and didn't offer very specific points like harveyleonardfan did for S RI...you could have simply said "your spot in North-central or even NE Hillsborough county N/NW of MHT should probably have the 90" contour extended there"...instead you were quite vague and sort of challenged my explanation when I was talking about New Ipswich to Milford, NH....and didn't really get to the specifics (until much later) which is a lot more helpful in constructing a map like this.

I do appreciate everyone's input...and I change it if it has good evidence that it should be changed. I did change it NW of MHT too, but you might want to work on the manner in which you challenge people's posts and assertions.

I changed it and then you still accused of me of being biased. I changed it because I thought it was correct that those hill towns NW of MHT did get over 90"...I think the reaction you got was because you first seemed to keep challenging my totals in SW Hillsborough county where they always get more (or almost always)...but didn't this year....then made a condescending comment instead of simply giving a friendly constructive criticism. You were mostly smug and didn't offer very specific points like harveyleonardfan did for S RI...you could have simply said "your spot in North-central or even NE Hillsborough county N/NW of MHT should probably have the 90" contour extended there"...instead you were quite vague and sort of challenged my explanation when I was talking about New Ipswich to Milford, NH....and didn't really get to the specifics (until much later) which is a lot more helpful in constructing a map like this.

I do appreciate everyone's input...and I change it if it has good evidence that it should be changed. I did change it NW of MHT too, but you might want to work on the manner in which you challenge people's posts and assertions.

It is still the same old image on my screen, haven't seen any new one. For all I knew you were just being sarcastic, again.

What are the amounts you have for that area? I understand this wasn't an elevation winter or a typical SE/NW gradient, however I'm thinking undermeasuring if the Milford co-op was well under 90".

To be fair, I asked you specifically about the Milford and Jaffery totals, didn't get a response. You did not give me a chance to be specific.

It is still the same old image on my screen, haven't seen any new one. For all I knew you were just being sarcastic, again.

To be fair, I asked you specifically about the Milford and Jaffery totals, didn't get a response. You did not give me a chance to be specific.

Jaffrey is 7 miles form Ashburnham...I doubt they got more than 12" more than Ashburnham...especially when I examine the events in their own entirety. New Ipswich is less than 5 miles away. Ashburnham is NOT in an unfavorable area for snow...they are often in the best spot at over 1100 feet on the east slope. Winchendon had 80.9" which is even closer to Jaffrey than Ashburnham.

As for Milford, their coop doesn't report anymore, but they have a DOT who had under 80" going into March...so its very unlikely they broke 90" for the season...I never got a final total from them, which is why there is no point total on my map, but there is a reason I didn't extend the 90" contour down there. Extrapolating there from after March 1st would not have produced 90"+ unless using a weenie slant stick. It makes sense when I compare with the areas not too far to their SW. The simple reason is they got screwed badly in the 12/26, 1/12, and 1/27 storms...very rare they get the shaft in that many nor' easters but they did. Their upslope just wasn't enough to make up for the mesoscale screwjobs....but hey, it has to happen sometime. At the same time, areas to their north up in N Hillsborough county and Merrimack county did not receive the same mesoscale screwjobs (at least in the 12/26 and 1/12 storms...1/27 was more of a synoptic screw job).

I don't just slab snowfall totals on the map...I look very carefully at PNS plots and also synoptic setups along with several other reports before I put contours in. Maybe you want to tell me its "easy because I have people on the internet telling me their totals"....but its not that simple. They definitely help, but I don't blindly put them down. I quality check my data because I like to give my snowfall map to my clients as an "end of the season" thing even though I post it here. I could do this snowfall map without members posting, but it would definitely be harder. But I don't take totals at face value. QC is important if you want to make an accurate map.

Jaffrey is 7 miles form Ashburnham...I doubt they got more than 12" more than Ashburnham...especially when I examine the events in their own entirety. New Ipswich is less than 5 miles away. Ashburnham is NOT in an unfavorable area for snow...they are often in the best spot at over 1100 feet on the east slope. Winchendon had 80.9" which is even closer to Jaffrey than Ashburnham.

As for Milford, their coop doesn't report anymore, but they have a DOT who had under 80" going into March...so its very unlikely they broke 90" for the season...I never got a final total from them, which is why there is no point total on my map, but there is a reason I didn't extend the 90" contour down there. Extrapolating there from after March 1st would not have produced 90"+ unless using a weenie slant stick. It makes sense when I compare with the areas not too far to their SW. The simple reason is they got screwed badly in the 12/26, 1/12, and 1/27 storms...very rare they get the shaft in that many nor' easters but they did. Their upslope just wasn't enough to make up for the mesoscale screwjobs....but hey, it has to happen sometime. At the same time, areas to their north up in N Hillsborough county and Merrimack county did not receive the same mesoscale screwjobs (at least in the 12/26 and 1/12 storms...1/27 was more of a synoptic screw job).

I don't just slab snowfall totals on the map...I look very carefully at PNS plots and also synoptic setups along with several other reports before I put contours in. Maybe you want to tell me its "easy because I have people on the internet telling me their totals"....but its not that simple. They definitely help, but I don't blindly put them down. I quality check my data because I like to give my snowfall map to my clients as an "end of the season" thing even though I post it here. I could do this snowfall map without members posting, but it would definitely be harder. But I don't take totals at face value. QC is important if you want to make an accurate map.

This is the response I was looking for a while ago. I realize you QC as much as possible and do not just throw out a low quality map.

Never challenged the SW NH totals, because as we know they were in a dead-zone this year....plenty of storms N and S but no important jackpots.

I would challenge MIlford DOT as undermeasuring a little, unless they're in a very low spot and there are several in Milford. You said quote "Milford had under 90" easily". I'm contesting that. lol As you know I'm 5 miles NE and had 11.4" for March and April and that is practically to a T accurate.

I'd say Milford had at least 10", which would put them near 90" anyway (maybe a little less from what you are saying), but honestly there is little difference between here and there in most cases UNLESS the 3/31 - 4/1 event put them under 5" for a total, which would be due to measuring in a low elevation spot. I checked out Amherst/Milford near Walnut HIll and also Federal Hill areas after 4/1 and both areas had as much or more snow than my backyard.

Will, the hill at the Amesbury sports park got 91.2". I'm waiting for your adjustment east.

Obviously just trolling Birving with this post...lol.

Harveyleonaredfan, I did talk to my co-worker in Bristol and he does believe they got over 40"....perhaps near 50", but again..tough to call when you're not around to measure.

Nice job on the map again, Will.

Obviously just trolling Birving with this post...lol.

Harveyleonaredfan, I did talk to my co-worker in Bristol and he does believe they got over 40"....perhaps near 50", but again..tough to call when you're not around to measure.

Nice job on the map again, Will.

It's fine, lol. Will trolled me as well, by lying about Milford NH "nowhere near 90" type bravado ... Who's next lol Pete? zzz

It's fine, lol. Will trolled me to by lying about Milford NH "nowhere near 90" type bravado Who's next lol

Dude, give it a damn rest...they had 76" at the end of February...so unless there is good evidence they got well over a foot of snow after that (I havent seen any), then yes, they did finish well under 90". Probably in the 86-87" in range. I don't normally put 90" contours over areas that got 87".

You honestly come across as extremely arrogant and condescending. Make your own snowfall map for southern NH and put Milford at 90" if you want to. I'm not going to do it if I didn't see a good reason to.

Dude, give it a damn rest...they had 76" at the end of February...so unless there is good evidence they got well over a foot of snow after that (I havent seen any), then yes, they did finish well under 90". Probably in the 86-87" in range. I don't normally put 90" contours over areas that got 87".

You honestly come across as extremely arrogant and condescending. Make your own snowfall map for southern NH and put Milford at 90" if you want to. I'm not going to do it if I didn't see a good reason to.

Oh, now it's a concrete 76! Thanks for publishing that after the reactionary post. I'm being trolled by modsta..

Oh, now it's a concrete 76! Thanks for publishing that after the reactionary post. I'm being trolled by modsta..

I simply said "they had under 80"..." and didn't think you'd actually start accusing me of lying. Grow up dude.

Will... I would shave the <70" zone a bit further south. Areas near MMK, Wallingford, and even New Haven had over 70". Areas like Wallingford/North Haven were solidly >70" for the year.

Otherwise looks awesome!!!

Thanks, I had poor data in the lower CT River valley. I only had Wiz's total from W HFD but it sounded low to me as well.

It's fine, lol. Will trolled me as well, by lying about Milford NH "nowhere near 90" type bravado ... Who's next lol Pete? zzz

Been there. I've been told that I'm a slant sticker.lol No matter, I'm confident in my ability to accurately measure since that has been the primary way I've earned a living for 30yrs. Will's map is a fine map, he can't have every microclimatic nuance shown. I just care about getting the snow and keeping it, both of which this area excels at.

Been there. I've been told that I'm a slant sticker.lol No matter, I'm confident in my ability to accurately measure since that has been the primary way I've earned a living for 30yrs. Will's map is a fine map, he can't have every microclimatic nuance shown. I just care about getting the snow and keeping it, both of which this area excels at.

I havent finished the map totally, but I'm sure you are pretty happy with it...you were not far off this year unlike last year, and I will be updating the Berkshire snow totals when I get more data in on the 4/23 event. BIrving accusing me of lying to get my jollies off by reporting less snow than there actually was in SW NH is pretty petty and obviously a ridiculous claim given the reports I have...apparently I'm biased because I want to report less snow in Milford NH and deliberately lie about their snow totals. That's what I strive for every year...to lie on my own map about snow in SW Hillsborough county.

Archived