joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 9-10 Observations

NavarreDon

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The snow level is dropping to around 3000' in Tennessee. Meanwhile, rain continues to fall and streams/creeks continue to swell. I've not seen a late winter/early spring with so many consecutive "close calls" in the flooding department as this year. If this active pattern continues, the next 2"+ event would spell huge trouble for many of the mountain communities in this area.

Judging by the radar the Gregory Bald to Thunderhead area of the smokies should be getting pounded right now. Look Rock is 34 degrees and the camera is obscured. Purchase Knob is 31 and you can see the snow off in the distance. I'd love to be camped up at Sheep Pen Gap right now.

no snow here in Dahlonega (1500 ft), but if I look toward the mountains around Suches (3000 ft), the clouds have that signature that usually means it is snowing up there. Wish we had someone in that area to give an obs.

Congrats to yall in the High Country. looks like you are getting a good March snow.

This is the biggest piece of a let-down, over-hyped storm I can remember in some time. Once again, the heavy rain and severe weather for Central NC found a way not to happen, after being advertised for days in virtually every model. Interrupted moisture transport, no instability, etc. worked to create yet another ordinary run of the mill rain event. That great, because we need the rain, but a dynamic, once in a few years storm, it was not...not here.

Archived