Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made it to downtown Burlington this morning. Absolutely no way to tell how much fell as of 7 am when I was shoveling my driveway, as the snow was drifting all over the place. Shoveling was a bit@h. Saw numerous cars stuck, sitting idle with flashers on. It's snowing pretty hard right now, and blowing like crazy. Hard to tell what is falling snow and what is just snow blowing around. Given that there is hardly anyone in my building today, I think I can sneak out early....

I'll be adding to the storm total myself as we'd picked up more snow/sleet since last post. Nothing like western VT...but better than points east (sorry guys).

Not to Toot-Toot my own horn but, from the old thread: ;)

Mike is right though that someone has the potential to get ripped with a lot of IP/ZR.

Wouldn't be surprised to see that around here while it's puking snow in the 'Daks and Champlain Valley and pouring rain on the coast.....

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, lot of sleet here--probably 4" or so of my 24 hour total was in the form of sleet.

In Hanover, NH now--looks like it was quite a bit of ZR here, which we didn't get at all up at the house.

Very cool phenomena all along the Connecticut River. That puppy was blue--the ice, the thaw, the rain, the ZR, the sleet, the snow, lot-a friggin water flowing south right now under the still iced-over river. As seen from the bridge between Thetford, VT and Lyme, NH:

5505975777_c7faae7527_b.jpg

Burlington could top Valentines Day 2007...

I think they top 25-26" without a doubt if they had 20"+ by 8am.

Low level northerly flow is causing major enhancement in the Champlain Valley right now... they've gotta be snowing 1-2"/hr near the lakeshore still.

This is without a doubt the storm of the season up here.

Totally agree...def. the biggest since V-Day 07 for WIDESPREAD mountain and Valley snows. That band rolling thru the champlain valley is intense. Scoped out the surface streamlines as well and they show some good surface convergence right in BTV valley. They will hit 30.

looks to be about 18 or 19 unofficially here in Lyndonville...we mixed with sleet from 4-6am this morning and switched right back to all heavy snow...took a drive to downtown (750ft) and there were tiny flakes coming down lightly to moderately, but back up at the school (1,000ft) its coming down like gang busters! my buddy went skiing at 830am and since then there is 5" in his parking space (there was none at 830). Great storm and could of been better had we not mixed with sleet...waiting for the heavier banding to work through later this afternoon! Probably will end up with 24ish". 18.9/18.1 SN 1/4SM

This gradient is something else. Allenson is maybe 25 miles to my east as the crow flies, we are closing in on 2' and overnight he had picked up just under 7". This is the most in mby since V-Day 07. Still snowing.

Wow, that much for you--sweet! That'll keep the trails going. Funny, driving into Bradford and back yesterday I saw eight snowmobiles perched on people's snowbanks with 'for sale' signs on them. They'll prob'ly pull them back down and go for a few more rides now. ;)

The difference was the sleet vs. snow factor plus the snow-line taking longer to get here than to you folks in Barre. It didn't get to us till about 4pm yesterday. When I went to bed it was still straight-on snow here and 3"+ but I woke up in the middle of the night to loud pings. Our precip yesterday went like this: rain (10am-4pm) -- sleet (4-4:30pm) -- snow (4:30-??) -- sleet (?? -- 7:00am) and snow ever since. We'll be pushing 8-9" by the time she's all wound down.

Crazy stuff and quite the friggin' ride.

Wow, that much for you--sweet! That'll keep the trails going. Funny, driving into Bradford and back yesterday I saw eight snowmobiles perched on people's snowbanks with 'for sale' signs on them. They'll prob'ly pull them back down and go for a few more rides now. ;)

The difference was the sleet vs. snow factor plus the snow-line taking longer to get here than to you folks in Barre. It didn't get to us till about 4pm yesterday. When I went to bed it was still straight-on snow here and 3"+ but I woke up in the middle of the night to loud pings. Our precip yesterday went like this: rain (10am-4pm) -- sleet (4-4:30pm) -- snow (4:30-??) -- sleet (?? -- 7:00am) and snow ever since. We'll be pushing 8-9" by the time she's all wound down.

Crazy stuff and quite the friggin' ride.

Probably 20 inches, been hard to measure, but snow just picked back up. I know that both cars were absolutely buried this morning and it is above my knees. Two was a little bit of hyperbole to emphasize the gradient.

Updated storm totals from BTV

http://forecast.weat...1&highlight=off

tops is Jericho VT at 30"

]

JERICHO               30.0  1136 AM  3/07  TOWN HIGHWAY
  UNDERHILL             24.0   628 AM  3/07  GENERAL PUBLIC
  JERICHO CENTER        23.5  1019 AM  3/07  GENERAL PUBLIC
  1 NE SOUTH BURLINGTO  23.2  1150 AM  3/07  [url="http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=NWS"]NWS[/url] OFFICE
  1 ENE NORTH UNDERHIL  20.5   757 AM  3/07  [url="http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=NWS"]NWS[/url] EMPLOYEE
  2 NW WESTFORD         18.7   740 AM  3/07  [url="http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=NWS"]NWS[/url] EMPLOYEE
  2 SE SOUTH BURLINGTO  18.0   634 AM  3/07  [url="http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=NWS"]NWS[/url] EMPLOYEE
  1 ESE NASHVILLE       16.2   714 AM  3/07  [url="http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=NWS"]NWS[/url] EMPLOYEE
  2 E COLCHESTER POINT  13.0   715 AM  3/07  [url="http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=NWS"]NWS[/url] EMPLOYEE

Tighter'n a bull's arse in fly season.

Curious about the Orwell report as Cornwall only came in with 6.7" at 7am. Maybe they meant 16.7" ?

BTV

...ADDISON COUNTY...
  ORWELL                17.0   758 AM  3/07  SPOTTER
  1 SSE CORNWALL         6.7   726 AM  3/07  COOP. SNOW SLEET MIX

...ADDISON COUNTY...
  1 WNW ORWELL          17.0   700 AM  3/07  COCORAHS
  2 NW LINCOLN          15.0   830 AM  3/07  COCORAHS
  SOUTH LINCOLN         14.5   700 AM  3/07  CO-OP OBSERVER
  2 SE LINCOLN          11.0   700 AM  3/07  COCORAHS

Maybe it was the sleet

It continues to snow 1"/hr... this just will not quit! We are going to have two feet down in the village from this and two to three feet on the mountain. I still can't believe the size of the drifts up there. Our long-time ski patrol director said those were some of the largest drifts he has ever seen on parts of the mountain. There's one drift that is at least 12 feet high behind the Octagon (our summit lodge/cafe).

actually getting reports of 8-10 inches in the east and south ends of montreal

8 inches downtown

6 inches here in the west end

12+ once you cross the S bridges off the island heading towards the border

overall a fascinating weekend of weather here in the city with 1.5 inches of rain, 2-5 inches of snow after the flash freeze on sunday morning, and now this 'NW edge' storm today added on.

congrats to those in NVT/ ENY / eastern townships of quebec/ sherbrooke.......in the 2 feet band :snowman:

I've only lived up here for 13 years, but I've never seen anything like this...and that includes 14 Feb 07. A lot of drifting, but I picked some sheltered areas and took ten different measurements for an average of 21" as of 15 minutes ago. I don't even know where to start with the snow blowing. I have four foot drifts right up against my garage door and at the bottom of my driveway where it meets the road, the plows have created a wall that a mountain climber would be proud to scale.

Still coming down at a good clip. We never went over to sleet last night ( I was up until 5am) but it came awfully close...couldn't have been too far SE of Barre. There was a lull between 4am and 5am and was just picking back up when I went to bed.

Did I mention I moved here after living in Panama City, Fl. for 18 years? :whistle:

But I gotta tell you....I love it! :weenie:

Archived