• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

CAR may get close to mixing with IP, but areas just west could get crushed. It'll be interesting to see if Toot, taints.

Mrs. Vim Toot said no.

Well then! On the good side of taint this moment. Radar shows taint just S of PQI on a trajectory that will brush the Toot keep.

I've been hoping for some good sleet in this as breaking 5 miles of trail in 20" powder on top of 1.5' of very wet (1.28" rain yest.) snow would be a 800 lb pain in the fanny.

No sleet yet. Flakes varying the way they do near changover but no *tink* *tink* *skit* *dit* dissonance spoiling the susurrus that is the snow storm's symphony.

Vim Toot!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mrs. Vim Toot said no.

Well then! On the good side of taint this moment. Radar shows taint just S of PQI on a trajectory that will brush the Toot keep.

I've been hoping for some good sleet in this as breaking 5 miles of trail in 20" powder on top of 1.5' of very wet (1.28" rain yest.) snow would be a 800 lb pain in the fanny.

No sleet yet. Flakes varying the way they do near changover but no *tink* *tink* *skit* *dit* dissonance spoiling the susurrus that is the snow storm's symphony.

Vim Toot!

Where exactly are you? I see PQI/CAR, but are you closer to one place vs the other??

Where exactly are you? I see PQI/CAR, but are you closer to one place vs the other??

Six to one, half dozen to the other.

I abut the mighty Aroostook R. just east of our central artery, Rt.1.

I am perched precariously atop the NW pointy tip of the capital "P" in Pre Squeal seen on CAR's radar presentation.

Vim Toot!

Incredible rainfall overnight. As of 0800, two day total rainfall is at 3.50". I can not believe the amount of snow left on the ground after all of this rain. Backyard, facing east, depth is 12" - 16". Front yard, facing west, depth is 8" - 12". I should say part of front yard is flooded.

Picture below is a grab from my weather station software.

03-07-2011-Rainfall.jpg

17" NEW on the ground, that's without clearing the snowboard at 1,500ft.

3,000ft has close to 2 feet now. Lifts delayed in opening due to too much snow. Groomers are having trouble climbing and snowmobiles are useless. Reports of 4-5 foot drifts in the upper lift terminals.

This is crazy.

17" NEW on the ground, that's without clearing the snowboard at 1,500ft.

3,000ft has close to 2 feet now. Lifts delayed in opening due to too much snow. Groomers are having trouble climbing and snowmobiles are useless. Reports of 4-5 foot drifts in the upper lift terminals.

This is crazy.

17"+ here in Orwell. You're right, this is crazy. This is probably because not a single one of Vermont's 241 towns voted to end winter at town meeting last week. Fer shame.:bag:

17"+ here in Orwell. You're right, this is crazy. This is probably because not a single one of Vermont's 241 towns voted to end winter at town meeting last week. Fer shame.:bag:

BTV had 0.3" of liquid equivalent fall in 1-hr last night as heavy snow. That must've been 3"/hr overnight at times... I can't believe how much snow is out there right now.

Off topic, but pertinent to this storm as it relates to wind speed:

I once had a p.o.s. Lacrosse weather station with an anemometer, set at a height of 10 feet off the ground. The wind could be howling, trees bent, twigs snapping, and it hardly ever registered over 20 mph. That station died, so now I look at nearby personal weather stations on weatherunderground. I still see the same discrepancy between observations of tree movement, limbs snapping etc, and low measured readings. Right now, there's whole trees swaying, twigs and small branches snapped off (perhaps related to yesterday's brief icing), and snow blowing straight sideways. When I submitted a storm report to NWS, I selected a wind speed of 39 to 54 mph. Yet when I see the stations nearby, they read, calm, gusts to 15 mph. Any thoughts?

9.8" this morning at 6:30 which brings the snow total to an even 16.0" so far. Still snowing over an inch an hour.

Powderfreak, are the winds affecting lift ops? It was howling at my house, so I figured it would be a slow morning getting things turning. Going to try to come up this afternoon.

Event totals: 16.7” Snow/2.89” L.E.

Monday 3/7/2011 6:00 A.M. update: In the 7.5 hour block from 10:30 P.M. last night to 6:00 A.M. this morning, 9.9 inches of snow fell at this location, indicating an average snowfall rate of 1.32 inches/hour during that stretch. The collection interval was longer than a 6-hour period, but that 9.9 inches of accumulation was the largest individual stack I’ve measured this season, exceeding the 7.7-inch stack from back on January 12th. That January 12th stack was actually from a 10-hour interval, so last night was quite potent in terms of snowfall. This storm has been comprised of fairly small, synoptic-style flakes, and that is evident in the fairly trapezoidal structure of the stack from this morning:

07MAR11A.jpg

It is interesting to note that the overnight accumulation contained exactly 1.00 inches of liquid, and with the fairly standard ratio snow (10.1% H2O) was perhaps the most liquid I’ve pulled from a stack. My 68 mm-diameter core sample contained 92.25 mL of liquid. The liquid event total for this event was 2.89 inches as of the 6:00 A.M. report, and I broke it down in my CoCoRaHS report comments this morning:

“T=21.0F, Sky=Heavy Snow (1-8mm flakes); storm total liquid is currently 2.89" obtained from 1.07" rain through 11:30 A.M. yesterday (3/6) followed by 1.82" as snow through 6:00 A.M. today (3/7)”

This storm is already the third largest event of the season, and with the snow on the board outside it looks like it will move into second position past the 18.0” event from early January. Also of note is that this storm has raised the snowpack here to 36.0 inches, which is the highest depth attained yet this season.

While the flakes have generally been on the small side with this event, they have become notably larger now, so I’d suspect the next round of analysis to indicate a density somewhere below 10% H2O. Flakes were up to ~8 mm at the 6:00 A.M. observation time, but now there are some twice that size, up to ~15 mm.

On a seasonal note, this storm has now produced more snow than the past two Marches combined, which only totaled 14.7 inches here. Also, with this event, winter '10-'11 has now moved up into the range of where the '07-'08 and '08-'09 La Niña seasons were at this point. At 170.6 inches as of the 6:00 A.M. observations today, this season has actually just passed '08-'09 (170.4” on this date) and is about 9 inches behind '07-'08 (179.3” on this date).

Here are the numbers I’ve seen from the VT ski areas so far with this event, the list is from north to south:

Jay Peak: 26”

Burke: 15”

Smuggler’s Notch: 21”

Stowe: 17”

Bolton Valley: 17”

Mad River Glen: 10”

Sugarbush: 18”

Middlebury: 14”

Pico: 9”

Killington: 9”

Okemo: 4”

Bromley: 0”

Stratton: 2”

Mount Snow: 0”

Totals clearly fell off to the southern part of the state due to the rain/mixing.

BTV has updated their accumulations maps so that they are more in line with the expected totals, so I have added a couple of their recent graphics below:

07MAR11B.jpg

07MAR11C.jpg

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 9.9 inches

New Liquid: 1.00 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 9.9

Snow Density: 10.1% H2O

Temperature: 21.0 F

Sky: Heavy Snow (1-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 36.0 inches

I still can't believe how hard it continues to snow.

We are up to just over 18" now at the base (1,500ft)... almost 2"/hr.

In other news... this could be very historic for BTV. They are definitely in the top 10 all-time now with 20.6" through 8am.

...CHITTENDEN COUNTY...
  UNDERHILL             24.0   628 AM  3/07  GENERAL PUBLIC
  1 NE SOUTH BURLINGTO  20.6   759 AM  3/07  NWS OFFICE
  1 ENE NORTH UNDERHIL  20.5   757 AM  3/07  NWS EMPLOYEE
  2 NW WESTFORD         18.7   740 AM  3/07  NWS EMPLOYEE
  2 SE SOUTH BURLINGTO  18.0   634 AM  3/07  NWS EMPLOYEE
  1 ESE NASHVILLE       16.2   714 AM  3/07  NWS EMPLOYEE
  2 E COLCHESTER POINT  13.0   715 AM  3/07  NWS EMPLOYEE

As of 0600 when I left for work we had 2.3" sleet and possibly some snow mixed, I think mostly sleet, with .2" of glaze. Liquid equivalent for the whole event is 1.87", with .61" of pure rain. I was surprised to see 1.25" of liquid in gauge this morning. Snow depth at 24".

By far the worse drive in this winter, it was interesting to watch the different areas that had more frz rain compared to sleet, many branches down and I hear of lots of power outages, especially Lebanon south as they definitely had more frz rain than sleet overnight.

Seasonal total now at a cool, crisp and oh-so-close, 98" even. Oh boy!

If not during the endgame of this storm, certainly the next should hold enough front-end accum to put you easily into triples.

The GYX snowfall map this morning has the most incredible cutoff I ever hope to see, with zero-to-15" in about 2-3 miles.

http://www.erh.noaa....rmTotalSnow.php

The line runs 8-10 miles NW of MBY.:thumbsdown: However, it's not quite right. As of just before 7 AM, I had a storm total precip of 1.94", with 2.0" IP/ZR mix (mostly the former, the ZR just encrusted and "densified" the mess), and a core taken from the Tonneau cover of my PU melted to 1.02".

Rain began freezing after midnight, switched to mostly IP 1-2 AM, and was IP/ZR mix as I left the house at 7. Nasty stuff on the roads; the pickup barely made it up the driveway, hopping when I'd give it gas, then spun most of the way on 2,000' of unplowed gravel road. 2" IP atop 1" slime, which was enough to cause spinning and side-slipping last night before anything frozen had arrived. Not nice.

I've usually found pure IP to be about 3:1, so the 2:1 this time would point to about 0.35" of ZR/crud mixed with the IP. The 2" stuff was somewhat crusty and very wet/clumpy. Very light ice, not quite 0.1", but Mile Hill and a few places just noerth of AUG had 1/4" or more. Mile Hill had all the sleet, too, AUG area just a bit.

The snowfall getting more spotty in nature here in the CT valley. Vermont has closed most state offices today. This storm has a first for me- having to clean up water in the basement while it was snowing outside. We also got water in part of the barn yesterday before the front came through. The floor in the barn was cold enough that it was freezing into slush even before the front came through.

Wow, the scene on the mountain is incredible this morning. I haven't seen drifts like this since Valentines Day 2007. There are widespread drifts to 8 feet or more on the mountain and I'll post pictures later this afternoon.

Just incredible and I haven't seen anything like it in years. Entire trails are are completely transformed... amazing.

Well this definitely turned into northern VT and NY's Blizzard of 2011 IMHO.

The snow is blowing 1-3" back onto already plowed roads. We are back into the 1" / hour snows right now in downtown, and some of the drifts are above my chest (though I'm only 5'8" tall). People are walking in the roads everywhere because there's no where else to walk, and cars are still getting stuck (I even have pictures of a snow blow that went off the road and got stuck, and another plow got stuck below my office in downtown Burlington).

Here's the plow: http://i54.tinypic.com/eim3dg.jpg

We'll close in on 2 feet, and this will be a fantastic end to what was a pretty darn good winter of snows.

Does anyone know where the season snow total for Burlington stands?

Wow, the scene on the mountain is incredible this morning. I haven't seen drifts like this since Valentines Day 2007. There are widespread drifts to 8 feet or more on the mountain and I'll post pictures later this afternoon.

Just incredible and I haven't seen anything like it in years. Entire trails are are completely transformed... amazing.

I was checking out the Stowe cams this morning, awesome scene, looking forward to your pics later today.

Burlington could top Valentines Day 2007...

I think they top 25-26" without a doubt if they had 20"+ by 8am.

Low level northerly flow is causing major enhancement in the Champlain Valley right now... they've gotta be snowing 1-2"/hr near the lakeshore still.

This is without a doubt the storm of the season up here.

Burlington could top Valentines Day 2007...

I think they top 25-26" without a doubt if they had 20"+ by 8am.

Low level northerly flow is causing major enhancement in the Champlain Valley right now... they've gotta be snowing 1-2"/hr near the lakeshore still.

This is without a doubt the storm of the season up here.

Models did a good job placing the BTV area in the best banding. They had it moving right over BTV, just like it's doing now. What a storm.

Said it for days Walt Drag commerce stopping special, Epic.

Archived