• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

Looks like there's been a very good snow event for those in the western part of the band. I personally really enjoy the storms that start as rain and then change to snow and settle halfway through, its even more of a surprise to people when that happens overnight.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AWT. Jackpot may be up through the Dacks and near BTV or just se in the mtns. I wonder if Vim Teets get some sleet.

Definitely got some sleet here last night--and a fair bit of it by the sounds of the pings ringing off the skylight. And, by the looks of the deck this morning as I flip on the floodlight. Sleet/snow mix as I type.

It was snowing last night when I went to bed and we were up to 3" or so but the sleet made inroads sometime in the wee hours. Haven't done any measuring or melting yet--need coffee first.

28F.

Well can't say I'm disappointed in the fail considering I was only hoping for some ZR after 6z. I'd be more disappointed if I lived in LEB. :lol:

Like I said last night...it looks like elevations above 1000ft did well with icing. Here it was just a cold rain.

33.8F right now with -RA. 2.26" storm total so far from the Davis.

Looks like an ice jam somewhere on the ct river? Take a walk down to the ball bridge, that is if you have steel ones. haha

Ha-ha, the ball bridge--love it. I know someone else who calls it that to. It'll be an interesting ride into Hanover later this morning--where the precip type lines set-up, river levels, etc.

I was pooping.

It ain't over till the paperwork is done.

the other, well... he just chills attm - Tuck alum)

Head-hunting, cut-throat charlatans, the lot of 'em! ;)

Well can't say I'm disappointed in the fail considering I was only hoping for some ZR after 6z. I'd be more disappointed if I lived in LEB. :lol:

Yeah yeah yeah, haha.

Definitely some glazing on the trees, and it sounded like sleet is coming down right now. We dont need any power outages, so hopefully there is no more freez rain.

Ha-ha, the ball bridge--love it. I know someone else who calls it that to. It'll be an interesting ride into Hanover later this morning--where the precip type lines set-up, river levels, etc.

Ha, I always thought that was what it is called. I wonder how much glazing occurred above say, 1000 feet around these parts. The trees are fairly laden with ice this AM, and I figure there would be more in the hills.

Yeah yeah yeah, haha.

Definitely some glazing on the trees, and it sounded like sleet is coming down right now. We dont need any power outages, so hopefully there is no more freez rain.

Trust me...I was pulling for you guys out west. Even Littleton changed back over to ZR. Lost River was getting pounded with FZRA before it crapped the bed. The obs out of MWN over the last 24hrs are pretty cool too.

http://www.uswx.com/us/stn/?code=c&n=30&stn=KMWN

Dawn Patrol Skier reported to me at least 18 inches along east facing slopes of the Greens above 2500 feet and still snowing hard.

Also- and this is great news which I'd love PF to confirm- they reported that since the heavy snow fell before the ground had a chance to freeze up, there is little to no crust from the rain and thaw...that's AWESOME and really sets up the snowpack for a wonderful spring.

The ADK is BURIED. The Misses is in Keene Valley today and reported 16-20 already in the High Peaks with absolute hammering snow currently.

Fascinating storm...just wonder

I wonder how much glazing occurred above say, 1000 feet around these parts. The trees are fairly laden with ice this AM, and I figure there would be more in the hills.

No glazing here at 1200'. Nothing but snow & sleet after the turn-over. Just took a measurement and we picked up 6.7" of a very heavy snow/sleet conglomerate.

Turning over to more straight-up snow as I type....

Downtown Burlington VT is absolutely walloped with snow right now. I wish I could find observations, but this is easily the most snow I've woken up to this season. It looks like there is 1.5-2.0 feet of snow out there, with drifts as high as my chest in some spots, though I'm not sure if that's because of plowing. Cars are stuck everywhere, I can hear them trying to get out and failing...

Also it is snowing very heavily still here. And I hear sirens everywhere...not sure why....

It is hard to describe how hard it is snowing right now... thick snow fog. I have no doubt we hit 18" in the lower elevations... probably within in the next couple hours.

This is amazing... it looked like armaggedon coming up the road this morning.

Similar reports from some friends who ventured out today in the Stowe region. Apparently it was armegeddon in the High Peaks yesterday...Cars just everywhere and massive ice jam flooding....

DEC is prob. still performing rescues of people stuck by blown out bridges and heavy snow deep in the High peaks. If there was 3ft+ in/around Lake Colden I'd not be surprised. It NUKED there all night. Same as Nor. VT...just insane.

I have no doubt we hit 18" in the lower elevations... probably within in the next couple hours.

I’d say you are right on track with that Scott, we were at 16.7” as of my 6:00 A.M. report for CoCoRaHS, and looking at what’s on the snowboard from the past hour, we’re getting close to 18” total. I’m putting together my report right now and I’ll post that in a bit.

OK, numbers and measurements accounted for. What a wild 24 hours.

2.02" of total liquid, 0.67" fell as rain, the remainder is locked up in snow/sleet. Had a lot of sleet here with the snow.

6.7" of snow/sleet (1.45" LE). Started the day yesterday with 27" at the stake, went down to 25" with the rain and warmth and now back up to 31". All in one day!

Seasonal total now at a cool, crisp and oh-so-close, 98" even. Oh boy!

Archived