Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

22.4F now with gusting NW winds. It's been spitting flurries all evening. We had a steadier snow earlier that gave a dusting, but nothing big.

Had 2.59" of precip from the event. The manual gauge was a few tenths less, but similar...so quite a soaker.

The snow depth took a hit, but it still stands at a healthy 22"...so we lost about 8-10" like I figured. It still looks like the heart of winter outside...you wouldn't know we just had 24hrs of 45-50F temps with 2.50"+ of rain.

Here's a pic... this trail was groomed around midnight last night, flat from side to side. At 9am one half of the trail was covered in 5-8 foot drifts, the other half of the trail was passable. I should've gotten a skier passing by for reference, but the drifts on the left dwarfed skiers/riders. The tallest one is easily 8 feet deep above the groomed surface below.

This is basically the story of today...big, big snow.

Wow, that's impressive Scott Snowman.gif Even the CPV must have 30" on the ground now, maybe more in protected higher areas like Snake Mtn or Chitman Hill...

BIG Winter, big big winter jerry.gif The man called it...

i cant wait to see the pics my dad has taken when he actually can make it home lol :snowman:

state of emergency declared in the eastern townships and around sherbrooke.

people trapped in cars and police not responding to 911 calls

reports of 80cm locally / 32 inches

a historic storm for them.

here is a pic i grabbed off the Radio-Canada site from Sherbrooke

post-149-0-10924700-1299531866.jpg

70cm at sherbrooke at 3pm as per Env Canada ....estimated due to weight of snow breaking the equipment at Sherbrooke airport :lol:

We picked up another 4" of snow today when it finally turned completely over to snow. That brings the storm total to 6.3" of snow and sleet and .2" of glaze, snow depth is back up to 26.5".

Went for a snowshoe with the family right at sunset it was beautiful with the glaze and snow covered trees. It was a bit tough at times as even with the snow shoes you would break through the crust and sink quite a bit, great exercise though :).

There were some large drifts in the woods. A storm that transforms the landscape.

Old work trucks.

42" of wind-packed snow depth at 1,500ft.

Only a sick weenie such as myself would notice this, but take a look at the texture of the snow. Those are some mighty fine dendrites there.

Added 4.3" during the day today fora storm total of 20.3". I suspect I lost a little accumulation to the wind.

Had my scariest ride ever on the Quad at Stowe. Was one of the last chairs up before it closed. Wind was at least 25 knots.

Trails were wind scoured powder; woods were amazing. Best.run.ever.in.the.riverbed.

Couple pics of the Pemi from this afternoon. Crested at 17.03ft (flood stage is 13ft), which is the 16th highest on record

post-128-0-78459400-1299544051.jpg

post-128-0-76088200-1299544063.jpg

Excellent pics, looks so neat to see all that ice flowing down. Any flooding down at the PE Center? I fondly recall the ice jam back in Dec of 2003 when many cars got destroyed in that one...thankfully not mine.

Only a sick weenie such as myself would notice this, but take a look at the texture of the snow. Those are some mighty fine dendrites there.

Classic deform snows pretty much all day... that storm really slowed to a crawl passing our latitude. That certainly helped in prolonging today's snows and bumping amounts that extra 3-6" to really boost the totals. All the good storms always have a solid, long-duration H7 deformation band snows. Its a bummer that more folks couldn't partake in this event, especially further south in CNE/SNE, but March 6-7, 2011 will be remembered in these parts...well at least till the next big one comes along.

A few more shots... This was the scene out the backdoor of the office around daybreak this morning with 14" on the ground and absolutely pounding 2"/hr snows. It was just pouring snow.

Excellent pics, looks so neat to see all that ice flowing down. Any flooding down at the PE Center? I fondly recall the ice jam back in Dec of 2003 when many cars got destroyed in that one...thankfully not mine.

The flooding wasn't too bad by the PE Center. They put in a new ice rink last year, right by the Pemi, and that's where most were worried about.

Rt 175A is closed, and they were talking about evacuations along River St.

It was such a cool sight! Those are huge slabs of ice too. It's incredible to think about the force that was required to upend a few of them. Took some large branches with it too.

post-128-0-98555500-1299545528.jpg

Classic deform snows pretty much all day... that storm really slowed to a crawl passing our latitude. That certainly helped in prolonging today's snows and bumping amounts that extra 3-6" to really boost the totals. All the good storms always have a solid, long-duration H7 deformation band snows. Its a bummer that more folks couldn't partake in this event, especially further south in CNE/SNE, but March 6-7, 2011 will be remembered in these parts...well at least till the next big one comes along.

A few more shots... This was the scene out the backdoor of the office around daybreak this morning with 14" on the ground and absolutely pounding 2"/hr snows. It was just pouring snow.

That's making me drool..lol. Awesome.

That area was pegged for some good banding. It worked out fairly well. That added moisture from the Lake, and banking up against the higher terrain probably boosted the totals a few inches too.

Very cool phenomena all along the Connecticut River. That puppy was blue--the ice, the thaw, the rain, the ZR, the sleet, the snow, lot-a friggin water flowing south right now under the still iced-over river. As seen from the bridge between Thetford, VT and Lyme, NH:

5505975777_c7faae7527_b.jpg

I thought it looked blue this morning, but light was just breaking so wasn't completely sure. Certainly saw it on the way home, very cool looking. I was kind of suprised the water levels weren't higher with that jam down river in West Leb, they did drop the flooding, so maybe it had receded by the time I went by today.

No pictures to post but others have put some nice ones up. I do have a casualty to report though. My trusty mailbox who had made it through numerous snowstorms, including V-Day 07, being hit by several drive-by beer bottles and at least one direct hit by a pumpkin, finally succumbed to the plow tonight. Totally decapitated. Couldn't fix it tonight, 4 foot snowbank, darkness and all. Hopefully the bills won't come until I can fix it! :P

Man, 3 of the top 5 snowstorms of all time at btv occur in the last 4 years. 24"+ storms seem a dime a dozen up there nowadays. They should make the city motto "go big or go home". i think I've gotten more epic snowfall pictures from friends in btv in the last 5 years than anywhere else, actually.

Man, 3 of the top 5 snowstorms of all time at btv occur in the last 4 years. 24"+ storms seem a dime a dozen up there nowadays. They should make the city motto "go big or go home". i think I've gotten more epic snowfall pictures from friends in btv in the last 5 years than anywhere else, actually.

The Champlain Valley has been incredibly fortunate the past few years. Middlebury, where I went to college, has had above average snowfall EVERY season since 06-07, amazing run. We can't seem to score a bad year.

Remember, another historic storm for the BTV area was March 2001, so that's like 4 of the best storms ever in a decade. Sick.

The Champlain Valley has been incredibly fortunate the past few years. Middlebury, where I went to college, has had above average snowfall EVERY season since 06-07, amazing run. We can't seem to score a bad year.

Remember, another historic storm for the BTV area was March 2001, so that's like 4 of the best storms ever in a decade. Sick.

Yeah, todays storm basically came on the 10th anniversary of the 2001 storm. A friend of mine who used to work at the btv nws office said that the march 2001 storm up in btv was his 2nd favorite storm of all time (behind the blizz of 78). He left btv for box about 5 yrs ago and is pretty pissed, lol.

Archived