Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, call it 0.5" as of 7am here. Picking up in intensity fo' sho'.

Breezy out there too.

Off to work, whoosh!

20F and 2" new, snowing moderately. broke out the xc trail last night behind the house, pretty deep when 155cm poles are worthless, if you skied gently you could skim the top 12", but any pole pressure was useless, ever see a man moon walk forward thumbsupsmileyanim.gif, great for clearing canopy, getting limbs I could never reach without a pole saw

Ha-ha, being both a skier and a tree pruner, I'm with you on both accounts. :pimp:

4.2" at 1,500ft at 8am. Snowing hard.

What's interesting is that this SSE flow is almost perfect for upsloping into this side of Mansfield and Spruce Peak. I mean we have a legitimate 4" and Smuggs on the otherside of the Notch/Spruce Peak is reporting only 1-2" of snow, now mixing with sleet. I was just outside... no sleet in sight here and I suspect they are getting some downsloping from the 50-60mph winds at 3-4,000ft. Perhaps upslope on this side is causing increased precipitation rates and is keeping the sleet at bay?

Eitherway, it is very, very windy at the top. The weather station at the top was getting gusts over 50mph before it stopped working... last reading was 56mph.

Had light snow (3/4 mile vis) with 0.2" new at 7 AM, and radar suggests continuing -SN at home - nothing happening in AUG though they had a tiny dusting before I got here. Saw obs up to 1.5" to my north from cocorahs.

9.84" - pretty solid stuff. Once the pack reaches 30% water it's close to ripeness, though I've done samples that were half water; they were drippy corn snow. I had about 11" water in the snowpack in both 3/01 (actually sampled 4/1) and 3/08. Neither time did it flood much IMBY. April 2001 was perfect flood-avoidance wx until the 20-23 warmth, day after day of sun and 40s-to-50 with lows teens/20s. 2008 had minimal flood level on the Sandy every morning (from prev aft melting) for a week, but all but the higher terrain was clear when we got the 3-4" rain event that caused record flooding in Ft. Kent. When I lived up there, I had a sample in 3/84 with over 16" water; snow depth in the 50s (had reached 65" a week or so earlier) and a moose-proof crust (1.9" LE in a 3" span of IP/clear ice) from the Dec ice storm. April wx was like 2001 and no problems.

I looked out the office window a few minutes ago and thought the snow has really picked up but it turned out there was just a white tractor trailer parked outside. Snow has picked up a bit but is not at whiteout conditions.

Event totals: 1.5” Snow/0.15” L.E.

Thursday 3/10/2011 6:00 A.M. update: This morning at 6:00 A.M. there were 1.5 inches of 10% H2O snow on the snowboard. It was coming down with moderate intensity at a bit over a half inch per hour, because when I checked the new accumulation at 6:45 A.M. another 0.4 inches had built up. There was certainly some disparity in snowfall east and west of the Greens this morning. On my drive through the Winooski Valley, I heard some granular flakes hit the windshield to the west of Bolton, but that was brief and it was quickly back to regular flakes. By Richmond though, there was basically no snow in that air, nor did it look like they had even picked up any snow at all. It was quite a difference in precipitation from just 10 miles to the east. From there on westward the roads were just wet blacktop, whereas they had previously been covered with snow. Snowfall did return once I got to Williston, but in the Champlain Valley at that point there really hadn’t been much in terms of accumulation. There has been a bit of accumulation now on elevated surfaces here at UVM, but paved surfaces are just wet. Checking on my web cam I can see that there’s been another 2.2 inches of accumulation since this morning, putting the event at 3.7 inches so far. As of 10:00 A.M. the snow seems to even been melting on elevated surfaces here at UVM, but it’s still snowing steadily.

With this latest snow, the ’10-‘11 total at the house has actually pulled ahead of ’07-’08 for the first time, making it the snowiest I’ve recorded through this date of the season. The ’07-’08 season was quite strong on snowfall, so that says something about the way this season has gone, especially with the way that November contributed very little snow to the total.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 1.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.15 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 30.4 F

Sky: Moderate Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 37.5 inches

I looked out the office window a few minutes ago and thought the snow has really picked up but it turned out there was just a white tractor trailer parked outside. Snow has picked up a bit but is not at whiteout conditions.

:lmao:

6 inches in downtown montreal.

4-8 across the island. of course i got about 4 lol.

my depth this morning was a rather boring 25 inches, which sadly ties the season high.

This is incredible. Still pounding heavy snow!!

5.5" at 1,500ft

8.0" at 3,000ft

Wow!

That's great to hear Scott, it would be nice to get as much of the moisture as possible in the form of frozen. Bolton was reporting 5 inches up top as of noontime, although on the website they say that they are shut down today because of winds.

-SN started here in AUG about 12:30. Given the temp (34 at noon though the snow may nudge it down) and March sun angle, I don't anticipate any accum unless the precip gets considerably heavier (and there's a small patch of 30 dbz just to our south - might get a brief whitening from it.)

Those came thru here about 1 hour ago, Not hard enough to whiten the pavement as the ground is to warm

Hard to tell but it looks like about 3 inches.

That's good to hear. I left home pretty early this morning and it was snowing nicely but the intensity and amount dropped off quickly as I got down into the CT River valley. So, I don't really know what's happened at home since 7am. A webcam in Washington, VT looks to show a couple inches or so. We'll see later on when I get home....

It's hardly been doing anything here in Hanover, NH today. Man is it raw out there though....

Finally 32.0F I always seem to hold on to cold air longer than most places in NH! The Plymouth area really does well with cold air damning. Now the melting can finally begin. Even as a snow lover I am ready for spring. It can take a long time getting here. Some years April is nice and other years it's cold damp and muddy!

Those came thru here about 1 hour ago, Not hard enough to whiten the pavement as the ground is to warm

Likewise. Looked nice, with dime-sized flakes, but never above moderate snow. Yellow echoes usually make for +SN; not this time. Probably all done with SN from this event, though the homefront might catch some freezing drizzle early this evening.

Any wx excitement over the next two weeks, other than possible ice jams tomorrow night, has to come from something beyond (or dramatically changed from) the current views.

Left work in Montpelier at 4:30 and it had turned to rain. About 150' higher in elevation as I was driving home, it was all snow. Went down the other side of the hill into Barre and it was sleet. After picking up my son, we headed up the hill to home, back to snow partway up the hill an now looking at some big flakes falling out of the sky with some pingers mixed in now and again. Looks like there is 3" - 4" accumulation, though there has to be a lot of compaction. I sort of thought that we would have switched comepletly to rain by now. To my way of thinking, even though the prediction was for 2" - 4", this event has overperformed.

From the Storm Obs (Brief Wintery Mix) thread for this storm.... now at 5:30pm we are definitely mixing with rain.

It is still (at 5pm), I repeat still snowing (very wet, but snow) at 800ft in Stowe village. Its 33F snow... but up the road at 1,500ft it is still snowing hard. Still snowing heavily on the mountain.

Current temps:

33F 800ft

31F 1,500ft

30F 2,100ft

24F 3,900ft

New Snow since 4pm yesterday:

4" 800ft

6" 1,500ft

10" 3,000ft

On top of the 2-2.5 feet that fell on Monday, the amount of snow around here is bordering on ridiculous. Snow depth is 39" here and 47" at 1,500ft.

Of course, I'll try to get some pictures up later. I still can't believe we just got a warning criteria snowfall up on the mountain. I'd believe the 10" amounts from the southern Adirondack. A good shot of QPF must've been wasted on snow instead of rain.

Left work in Montpelier at 4:30 and it had turned to rain. About 150' higher in elevation as I was driving home, it was all snow. Went down the other side of the hill into Barre and it was sleet. After picking up my son, we headed up the hill to home, back to snow partway up the hill an now looking at some big flakes falling out of the sky with some pingers mixed in now and again. Looks like there is 3" - 4" accumulation, though there has to be a lot of compaction. I sort of thought that we would have switched comepletly to rain by now. To my way of thinking, even though the prediction was for 2" - 4", this event has overperformed.

Sounds about similar to here in town... a very wet 4" here. But it was snow and not rain and that's all that matters, haha.

Yep, it's raining in downtown Montpelier, with the occasional snowflake, but here at the house it's still all wet snow. I'm just two miles NW of downtown, but 250' higher in elevation here at the Montpelier/Middlesex town line. Went to get the car inspected at Mid-State Dodge on the Barre-Montpelier road, so I've seen snow rain and sleet today. Just about 4" at my house since we've been all snow so far.

Looks like it'll change over here pretty soon, though.

Just saw this... yikes, not even close. First off, the snow depth yesterday afternoon on the co-op report was 88" so the snow depth increase was 5". That's already more than 4" (reported new). Also with 0.9" of liquid falling into a cold environment (high of 25F, low of 13F), ratios appeared to be at least 10:1 on the upper mountain. Probably more like 7-8:1 at the base. It was reasonably dense snow but there was nothing "wet" about it up there where temps were in the upper teens and low 20s most of the day. I honestly can't say where the co-op gets only 4" of 24-hour new snow (I have 4" at 800ft in the village), but our number (with one snow board clearing) was 10".

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
539 PM EST THU MAR 10 2011

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT     	SNOW
              	24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER 	NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD 	0.90    25  13  25                4.0  93

Ha-ha, ditto here Mreaves.

Steady light/moderate snow falling here in Corinth. 32F. Very surprised to see this given the drizzly, gray valley I spent my day in. 1.8" new since 7am, 2.3" total.

Snowline here was just shy of 1000' on my way home.

I am sitting in that gray valley...although I will say we have mix of sleet and rain right now 34F, with a 70/30 mix of sleet/rain. From what the kids have said sounds like only a dusting earlier this morning.

Archived