Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds right on track with what we're seeing Scott, I checked last night and this morning and the depth at our stake was 23.5".

We are hemorrhaging snow right now... full-sun and 55F.

I just got back from a couple runs at the mountain and although there is a lot of snow up there, we did lose a noticeable amount over the past 24 hours. Maybe its just that the dirt and grime in the snowpack is now starting to show its ugly face, but south and west facing aspects, as well as wind-swept areas, are certainly lower than they were just 24 hours ago. You can tell because the tree wells are starting to open up a bit in the lower elevations. Luckily most of Mansfield's terrain faces north or east, but subtle changes in aspect orientation are very noticeable.

Down here in town, south facing slopes are going very quickly with bare spots now seen along the Mountain Road on sunny aspects. Its the sort of thing where its bare where the slope faces south but as soon as the terrain levels off there's still a solid 20". This is when snowpack measurements get interesting because shaded north facing slopes in town look like they are still up near 30"or more and south facing aspects are going bare. Level ground appears to be 18-20" but that's just eyeballing it.

Current elevation temperatures:

800ft... 55F

1,500ft...53F

2,100ft...49F

3,900ft...39F

Wind arrived here about 11 AM. The indoor-outdoor thermometer, 12' off the snow, was 55 and jumped quickly to 60, where it has remained. Haen't checked the max-min (the one I use for recording), but I'm guessing it's topped out 55-57, being only 4' from the snow. Gusts to near 40, power blinked once. Despite the warmth and winds, the 18" snowpack at 7 AM has lost just 1", still holding tough due to the 2" of IP/ZR on 3/7.

12z gfs back to total boredom, about 1/3" qpf thru the end of the month. Looks good for MBY achieving its 4th consecutive season without having a 4"+ snow event later than March 2. Month's avg temp thru 3/17 crept a tiny bit above my 13-yr avg thanks to touching 50 yesterday, and today will be about +15 or so.

Hit 60.7F here...down to 55.1F now. Peak gust was 36mph. Looks like Scott hit 50mph+ thanks to his favored WSW direction. :)

Hopefully we get a little snow on Monday before the well below normal temps get settled in over the next week or two. I'd like to see the OH Valley system amp up more with time and trend NW so that we can get in on it rather than be dealt cold suppression.

hang on to your hat kind a day, septic tank has no snow now, could smell the mud, the sugarhouse on the hill has boiled over 150 gallons already - hello spring.

and if that wasn't enough - first sign of the robins.

Never can get your hopes up to high, always have a least 1 good spring snowstorm, maybe this year more...

Hit 60.7F here...down to 55.1F now. Peak gust was 36mph. Looks like Scott hit 50mph+ thanks to his favored WSW direction. :)

Hopefully we get a little snow on Monday before the well below normal temps get settled in over the next week or two. I'd like to see the OH Valley system amp up more with time and trend NW so that we can get in on it rather than be dealt cold suppression.

51mph and a high of 62.9 made for a magical afternoon. It felt odd for it to be so windy under clear skies and warmth.

Did lots of shoveling snow onto the pavement today in a feeble attempt to at least clear the parts of the gardens where the tulips and daffodils are. Probably about 12" out front and 15-20" out back where the sun still never reaches.

51mph and a high of 62.9 made for a magical afternoon. It felt odd for it to be so windy under clear skies and warmth.

Did lots of shoveling snow onto the pavement today in a feeble attempt to at least clear the parts of the gardens where the tulips and daffodils are. Probably about 12" out front and 15-20" out back where the sun still never reaches.

I have tiger lilies growing through the snow along the backside of my house. Snow depth is down to 13"...so a 3" hit today.

Just got power back after 7 hours in the dark. Had a wind gust to 41mph before the power failed! Another great snow melt day would say there is about 85% coverage in the general area now with bare spots facing SW but 1-2 feet in the north facing woods.

Roughly 30,000 customers lost power in Maine today. Combination of mainly low-end advisory level winds and wet/soggy ground.

and if that wasn't enough - first sign of the robins.

None here at the house yet but I'm pretty sure I saw a robin while driving home last evening. I also heard a redwing blackbird yesterday near an open stream that was emptying into the Connecticut River.

I'm not sugaring this year (too much else going on) but I was figuring that the sap was running like crazy these past couple days.

Big snow melt in the valley the past two days and a fair drop here too. Topped out at 57F yesterday, back down to 31F this morning with 0.2" fresh of snow. 24" still at the stake here and no way can I walk on it anymore. Maybe tomorrow morning after a good freeze tonight.

Try to get some skiing in while I can--I'm off from work nine out of the next ten days so I ought to get a few chances. :ski:

Yeah, big parachutes dropping. I haven't really kept up on the weather so this comes as a surprise. It seems there's a good shot at a few inches Monday night as well? Cool.

I have been out of the loop too. Imagine my surprise this morning when I wake to see snow falling and the ground covered. Had a high of 68°F yesterday. Ground whitened. Mother Nature saying winter's not over just because the calendar says so. About 1/4" so far.

Capture from my weather cam. This view, facing east, was bare of snow yesterday.

weathercam-Saturday-3-19-2011.jpg

I have been out of the loop too. Imagine my surprise this morning when I wake to see snow falling and the ground covered. Had a high of 68°F yesterday. Ground whitened. Mother Nature saying winter's not over just because the calendar says so. About 1/4" so far.

Capture from my weather cam. This view, facing east, was bare of snow yesterday.

Looks like a nice day to take the kayak out for a ride. :)

Mod snow continues. It won't live past this afternoon, but it is nice to see after a nearly three week drought.

Nice for you guys...makes up for the 1-4" we had in C NH the other day. Anyways...34.1F here after a low of 32.5F. Gotta love the wet pasting on the 6z GFS too.

yeah...the ECMWF is preferable...but the gfs isn't that bad either...a good chunk of the qpf falls in the antecedent cold air.

Archived