• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

Just took the kids out to play in the yard. Here they are climbing from the driveway onto the front yard. I was astounded that not only can I walk across the snowpack but I could run without postholing. Stuck the yardstick in the sunny front yard and it, too, had 17" depth. Glad to hear some more snow is on the way, no reason to get rid of it before I can plant anyways.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just took the kids out to play in the yard. Here they are climbing from the driveway onto the front yard. I was astounded that not only can I walk across the snowpack but I could run without postholing. Stuck the yardstick in the sunny front yard and it, too, had 17" depth. Glad to hear some more snow is on the way, no reason to get rid of it before I can plant anyways.

Wow you bastard..lol. Even snow on the roof over at the house across the street. Even here in Andover, you have to look at the most protected areas to find snow.

Wow you bastard..lol. Even snow on the roof over at the house across the street. Even here in Andover, you have to look at the most protected areas to find snow.

Downtown Portland is pretty much barren of snow also. I like my drive home from work and watch the depth increase with every passing mile. Even so, by April 20 it will likely all be gone, even the 6' pile at the end of the driveway.

supermoon over Peacham. next time I go to take pictures of a moonrise I'll do it the day before full moon.

Great shots and you can see why they say Peacham is one of the most picturesque town in Vermont!! I also remember it as the town that I got one of my two speeding tickets in 20 years of driving. It was during the filming of Spitfire Grill, hence more deputies patrolling the area :poster_oops:.

1st call here 3-5", The Srefs and the 12z Nam looks like it has trended colder and juicier for here, Thurs is starting to look interesting as well as that one looks to track underneath us and colder, Winter is not over yet as i experianced 1st hand in NW Maine yesterday...

BTV has gone with advisories (3-6") in the Adirondacks and Green Mountain spine regions... with winter storm warnings (4-9") in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont.

VTZ003-004-007-210900-

/O.NEW.KBTV.WS.W.0008.110321T0600Z-110322T0000Z/

ORLEANS-ESSEX-CALEDONIA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWPORT...ISLAND POND...ST. JOHNSBURY

326 PM EDT SUN MAR 20 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 PM EDT MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 PM EDT MONDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NORTHEAST VERMONT.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...MIXING WITH RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 9 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN AFTER SUNRISE...AND CONTINUE THROUGH

THE DAY. SNOW WILL MIX WITH RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...THE MORNING COMMUTE WILL BE IMPACTED BY THE ONSET OF

SNOW...AND TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE THROUGH THE MORNING.

* WINDS...SOUTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S.

NYZ029>031-034-VTZ006-008-010-012-016>019-210900-

/O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0013.110321T0600Z-110322T0000Z/

SOUTHEASTERN ST. LAWRENCE-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-WESTERN CLINTON-

WESTERN ESSEX-LAMOILLE-WASHINGTON-ORANGE-WINDSOR-EASTERN FRANKLIN-

EASTERN CHITTENDEN-EASTERN ADDISON-EASTERN RUTLAND-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...STAR LAKE...SARANAC LAKE...

TUPPER LAKE...DANNEMORA...LAKE PLACID...JOHNSON...STOWE...

MONTPELIER...BRADFORD...RANDOLPH...SPRINGFIELD...

WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...

BRISTOL...RIPTON...EAST WALLINGFORD...KILLINGTON

326 PM EDT SUN MAR 20 2011

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 PM EDT

MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 PM EDT

MONDAY.

* LOCATIONS...CENTRAL AND NORTHERN VERMONT...AND THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...MIXING WITH OR CHANGING OVER TO RAIN IN

THE AFTERNOON

* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL SPREAD WEST TO EAST...BEGINNING AFTER MIDNIGHT

IN THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS...AND TOWARDS DAYBREAK IN VERMONT.

* IMPACTS...ROADS WILL BE SNOW COVERED FOR THE MORNING

COMMUTE...MAKING TRAVEL DANGEROUS.

* WINDS...SOUTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...AROUND 30.

Downtown Portland is pretty much barren of snow also. I like my drive home from work and watch the depth increase with every passing mile. Even so, by April 20 it will likely all be gone, even the 6' pile at the end of the driveway.

You have more snow than we do in Stowe village now... granted I don't know what the rest of your immediate area looks like, but we've lost like 2 feet in 10 days. Basically that early March storm has been erased and we're down to like a foot in town. I've been impressed at how fast 38" of snow can disappear but the further east you go, it seems the better your snow retention.

Of course, north facing aspects still have a lot (snow still on roof-tops in places and 2 feet of depth on north facing hillsides)...but south facing aspects are pretty much bare. Split the difference and call it 12". Its honestly hard to get a true snow depth this time of year and I bet if you polled people around here the depths would vary widely depending on how well one's yard holds snow from wind and its aspect. We were talking about it at the ski area today and one co-worker guessed there's about 7-9" on the ground in their yard, while another said 18-20" and they both live near each other.

Maine Jayhawk

It is amazing how much snow you have left. I raked the entire yard yesterday here in South Portland. Big difference even yesterday with that burst of snow that came through, barely any accumulation in SoPo but just inland by Rt 22 at the Westbrook - Scarborough line there was over an inch. Had my first seabreeze thursday afternoon

Believe in 3 or 4", Matt, and if anything more falls consider it bonus. I'm just glad to get another WWA for this season. My only gripe (other than the fact I'm not in the jackpot) is I wish it had happened a day earlier as I'll be stuck in the office in Portland. At any rate, it looks shovelable. I'm hoping to break 80" this week, a total I didn't think would be likely given the meh December.

Believe in 3 or 4", Matt, and if anything more falls consider it bonus. I'm just glad to get another WWA for this season. My only gripe (other than the fact I'm not in the jackpot) is I wish it had happened a day earlier as I'll be stuck in the office in Portland. At any rate, it looks shovelable. I'm hoping to break 80" this week, a total I didn't think would be likely given the meh December.

Yeah and looking down the road, it shouldn't be the last. Cold and snowy start to spring.

18z GFS keeps the dryslot at bay for C NH. Widespread 0.50-0.75" for the region with possibly all snow N of CON.

Down to 38.3F with Tds beginning to spike upward with the onset of decoupling.

I've loved how over the past 24 hours this has become what looks to be a nice little late-season event. I'll certainly take 3-6" with no complaints, haha. I'm thinking the summits of VT/NH/ME may be able to pull 8" if everything breaks right. Other than the highest elevations, its really hard to believe anything higher than a 8-10:1 ratio snowfall this time of year.

I've loved how over the past 24 hours this has become what looks to be a nice little late-season event. I'll certainly take 3-6" with no complaints, haha. I'm thinking the summits of VT/NH/ME may be able to pull 8" if everything breaks right. Other than the highest elevations, its really hard to believe anything higher than a 8-10:1 ratio snowfall this time of year.

The H7 dryslot doesn't come through until 00z so I think the deep overcast/moisture during midday with the +SN will really limit the insolation potential for late March. Unfortunately it looks like a 10:1 snowfall at best anyways given conditions aloft.

The H7 dryslot doesn't come through until 00z so I think the deep overcast/moisture during midday with the +SN will really limit the insolation potential for late March. Unfortunately it looks like a 10:1 snowfall at best anyways given conditions aloft.

Yeah BTV mentioned that it looked like the best omega was outside the DGZ but that there still was a decent amount of moderate lift and RH punching into the DGZ. I haven't looked at a sounding, but it sounded like 10:1 was a good middle-of-the-road route to take. I'm really not sure how deep of an overcast layer you need to off-set solar heating this time of year, but I still think that 8:1 is a fair ratio to expect between like 16z-22z on March 21st.

18 deer in my field right now. Since I have one of the few snow free pastures in the area (with my SW exposure) all the deer are congregating tonight enjoying their first grass of the season. They better eat fast as it will be gone by tomorrow for awhile.

Here is a snap shot from the webcam, can't see all of them in this photo!

post-268-0-19337900-1300664000.jpg

18 deer in my field right now. Since I have one of the few snow free pastures in the area (with my SW exposure) all the deer are congregating tonight enjoying their first grass of the season. They better eat fast as it will be gone by tomorrow for awhile.

Nice pic, I saw quite a few yesterady out riding here in Maine..

Yeah BTV mentioned that it looked like the best omega was outside the DGZ but that there still was a decent amount of moderate lift and RH punching into the DGZ. I haven't looked at a sounding, but it sounded like 10:1 was a good middle-of-the-road route to take. I'm really not sure how deep of an overcast layer you need to off-set solar heating this time of year, but I still think that 8:1 is a fair ratio to expect between like 16z-22z on March 21st.

Well I agree that 8-9:1 wouldn't shock me, but it's not really because of insolation concerns...at least not on this side of the mtns where the sfc cold will hang on a bit better. I had a couple of days in early April 07 not get over 100 w/m^2 during snow events.

I think it will be one of those relatively poor snow growth snows where there is just a very dense amount of snowflakes falling during the high omega. By that I don't mean the possibility of huge, wet aggregates that could fall where temps get around 32-33F in the column/sfc, but rather the actual crystal growth in the SGZ. There was a borderline warning event earlier this winter where I had 9:1 ratios for awhile...I want to say 1/18-19.

Some of those who do get the 32-33F aggregate parachutes will be typing in all caps "AMAZING SNOW GROWTH", but obviously that is not usually the case.

Jesus...I still have a foot of snow throughout the yard here. Did it all blow off of your hill? lol

Jesus...I still have a foot of snow throughout the yard here. Did it all blow off of your hill? lol

Nope Brian, didn't blow off the hill. In this area we still have 90%+ snow cover. The exception being the open SW exposures. Really just lost the snowcover yesterday and today.. I find that many times this year I rise above freezing much quicker than down below and take longer to fall below freezing in the evening. Half mile down my hill and 500 feet lower there is much more snow in the fields.

Archived