Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

Nice man..congrats.

Thanks. I always love driving north through the transition zone and noticing the snow amounts increase on the grass/roads and then the snow starting to show up in the pines/spruces. There was some wet snow at CON this morning, but it struggled sticking...there was probably a dusting at best. Most of the afternoon it just poured. Looks like 0.68" of w.e. there.

Man has the EC been all over the place for Saturday over the last 24-48hrs.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. I always love driving north through the transition zone and noticing the snow amounts increase on the grass/roads and then the snow starting to show up in the pines/spruces. There was some wet snow at CON this morning, but it struggled sticking...there was probably a dusting at best. Most of the afternoon it just poured. Looks like 0.68" of w.e. there.

Man has the EC been all over the place for Saturday over the last 24-48hrs.

I know exactly that transition zone, driving up 93. Once you get past CON and start climbing a bit an elevation. Your area seems to be the line. I'll never forget driving up 93 past CON during the great '98 icestorm and seeing the ice just grow thicker and thicker with each mile past CON. We were hoping to go skiing. Fail.

Had about 2" when I came home from Concord. I'm not sure how much actually fell before the changeover to rain or climb over 32F so it'll go into the books as 2.0". Nickle and diming on the way to 100". ~7" away now

Scott...what has your 4" compacted to right now?

I'll say 3 inches. It's hard to measure precisely when the surface is so insanely lumpy from the jumbo flakes.

It changed to rain about 10 minutes before ending.

Great little storm today. 3.5' here. Had to drive to Laconia around noon. Roads were horrible. Meredith Center Road was closed, so many accidents. Vis was about 1/4 mile which is very impressive with huge parachutes, just huge. I bet 2" of snow fell that hour. Last 20 minutes of the storm turned to rain but very impressive. I really noticed how much slipplier snow is around freezing than the powder stuff I am so use to.

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.03” L.E.

Evening update: I was too busy earlier today to send off my morning observations, so I’m posting them now. I looked outside and initially didn’t notice anything on the snowboard this morning, but once I checked there were a couple slushy tenths of an inch of accumulation. Based on the consistency it seemed like there might have been some sleet in there along with snow, but at the time all that was in the air were some flakes. With the time change it’s quite dark again on the bus in the morning, so I’m not sure what the precipitation was as we headed west through the Winooski Valley, but something was coming down. No precipitation was falling when I arrived in Burlington.

On a seasonal note, after pulling ahead for a bit thanks to the big storm that we had about 10 days ago, snowfall for the ’10-’11 season has fallen back behind where we were at this point in the ’07-’08 season. This season is assured of being at least #2 for snowfall in the records I have since 2006, as the total for ’08-’09 has already been surpassed.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.7

Snow Density: 15.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.4 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 25.0 inches

As of yesterday at 2pm....

Still almost 38" of rock-hard snow on the ground (number corresponds to the line below it) at 1,500ft. I was walking on top of this yesterday even though it was 36 degrees out. I'm 6'2"/190lbs and was able to jump up and down and not sink in more than 3-4 inches. This stuff is not going anywhere for quite a while.

Since you are supposed to round up with snow depth measurements, officially we at 38" at 1,500ft...69" at 3,000ft...90" at 3,700ft. That sort of natural snow glacier isn't going to melt anytime soon.

IMG_4203_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4205_edited-1.jpg

And here's a snow depth comparison down in Stowe village at 800ft from Tuesday the 8th vs. Tuesday the 15th (two days ago)...

March 8th (this was within 24 hours of peak depth):

IMG_3813_edited-1.jpg

March 15th (definitely lost 8-10" but still a considerable amount of ice/snowpack left, over two feet in town still):

IMG_4164_edited-2.jpg

must have been a cold year, just finished stacking the last row of wood on the porch, we're good till April now that we don't have burn everyday, the march sun does a great job now.

same obs up north PF, had a great ski Monday, Jay pass to Jay on the catamount trail, 7 miles of blue skies, big views, and cold beer. all the brooks had running water with 6' snowbridges.

love this time of year - 38 feels like 60, you can feel the sun, can still sleep in to get the best skiing, and everyone starts to get the spring "energy"

Happy St. Pats day!

must have been a cold year, just finished stacking the last row of wood on the porch, we're good till April now that we don't have burn everyday, the march sun does a great job now.

same obs up north PF, had a great ski Monday, Jay pass to Jay on the catamount trail, 7 miles of blue skies, big views, and cold beer. all the brooks had running water with 6' snowbridges.

love this time of year - 38 feels like 60, you can feel the sun, can still sleep in to get the best skiing, and everyone starts to get the spring "energy"

Happy St. Pats day!

Keeping an eye on the wood supply here too. We've gone through more to date than I expected we would . We certainly have enough but the pile's not as big as I'd like to see.

Sounds like a nice ski yesterday--love those snow bridges over the brooks!

Almost Guiness time, ya paddies. :drunk:

And here's a snow depth comparison down in Stowe village at 800ft from Tuesday the 8th vs. Tuesday the 15th (two days ago)...

March 8th (this was within 24 hours of peak depth):

IMG_3813_edited-1.jpg

March 15th (definitely lost 8-10" but still a considerable amount of ice/snowpack left, over two feet in town still):

IMG_4164_edited-2.jpg

When I saw your posts about snowpack I realized that my snowpack data from the house had been cut off when I pasted in my observations yesterday. Anyway it's at 25" as of this morning, which sounds similar to what's down in town there at Stowe. One can really see the difference now with how the 1,500' snowpack you monitor is doing - at one point I recall you remarking how our snowpack at 500' and that one at 1,500' were surprising similar, but the 1,500’ one is notably higher now.

Got 1" of lumpy (from silver dollar parachutes) 7:1 snow, plus 0.10" RA to start. Had pre-dawn frost but incoming clouds bumped temps to 34 by 7 AM, so no black ice on my commute. Roads were horrid around MBY when my wife headed to Farmington at about 4:20 PM, much better when I got there an hour later.

Kennebec ice has jammed under the low bridge in AUG today, probably has run from WVL down to here, but still locked in AUG-to-Gardiner. Water level popped up a few feet, and has wavered between 11-12 ft since before dawn. Flood stage is 12' and the west side parking lot invasion begins at about that point. Webcam shows a bunch of cars in the lot; I'd want to find another spot.

GYX statement from last evening. I'd expect an update later today if the levels remain near 12'.

...ELEVATED WATER LEVELS ON THE KENNEBEC RIVER...

WATER LEVELS ON THE KENNEBEC RIVER AT AUGUSTA HAVE RISEN QUICKLY THIS

AFTERNOON DUE TO ICE MOVEMENT AND RUNOFF FROM RAIN...REACHING JUST

ABOVE 11 FEET AT 6 PM. FLOOD STAGE IS 12 FEET.

WHILE THE RIVER WILL CONTINUE TO SLOWLY RISE THIS EVENING DUE TO

TIDAL EFFECTS...THIS ALONE WILL NOT BRING THE RIVER TO FLOOD STAGE.

HOWEVER...ADDITIONAL ICE MOVEMENT OR JAMMING COULD QUICKLY PUSH THE

STAGE ABOVE FLOOD TONIGHT.

AT 12 FEET...PARKING LOTS ALONG THE RIVER BANK IN DOWNTOWN AUGUSTA

WILL FLOOD. ALTHOUGH FLOODING IS NOT CURRENTLY FORECAST...PERSONS

WITH INTERESTS ALONG THE KENNEBEC RIVER SHOULD TAKE PRECAUTIONS IN

THE EVENT THAT FLOODING OCCURS.

Got 1" of lumpy (from silver dollar parachutes) 7:1 snow, plus 0.10" RA to start. Had pre-dawn frost but incoming clouds bumped temps to 34 by 7 AM, so no black ice on my commute. Roads were horrid around MBY when my wife headed to Farmington at about 4:20 PM, much better when I got there an hour later.

Kennebec ice has jammed under the low bridge in AUG today, probably has run from WVL down to here, but still locked in AUG-to-Gardiner. Water level popped up a few feet, and has wavered between 11-12 ft since before dawn. Flood stage is 12' and the west side parking lot invasion begins at about that point. Webcam shows a bunch of cars in the lot; I'd want to find another spot.

GYX statement from last evening. I'd expect an update later today if the levels remain near 12'.

...ELEVATED WATER LEVELS ON THE KENNEBEC RIVER...

WATER LEVELS ON THE KENNEBEC RIVER AT AUGUSTA HAVE RISEN QUICKLY THIS

AFTERNOON DUE TO ICE MOVEMENT AND RUNOFF FROM RAIN...REACHING JUST

ABOVE 11 FEET AT 6 PM. FLOOD STAGE IS 12 FEET.

WHILE THE RIVER WILL CONTINUE TO SLOWLY RISE THIS EVENING DUE TO

TIDAL EFFECTS...THIS ALONE WILL NOT BRING THE RIVER TO FLOOD STAGE.

HOWEVER...ADDITIONAL ICE MOVEMENT OR JAMMING COULD QUICKLY PUSH THE

STAGE ABOVE FLOOD TONIGHT.

AT 12 FEET...PARKING LOTS ALONG THE RIVER BANK IN DOWNTOWN AUGUSTA

WILL FLOOD. ALTHOUGH FLOODING IS NOT CURRENTLY FORECAST...PERSONS

WITH INTERESTS ALONG THE KENNEBEC RIVER SHOULD TAKE PRECAUTIONS IN

THE EVENT THAT FLOODING OCCURS.

Those are the usual suspect areas around the Kennebec, In Aug and Hallowell

Those are the usual suspect areas around the Kennebec, In Aug and Hallowell

Holding about steady in AUG, and upstream tribs are slowly decreasing. Barring some dramatic shift in the ice (always possible), the parking lot should avoid a washing, at least for a while. It's a rare spring when it doesn't flood at least once.

Snowcover outside the office window down to about 2/3 the area, with some sizable puddles on the frozen lawn.

Need just 1.6" to reach the 80s. Though my avg of 12 seasons is 87.3", I've never had any one season finish in the 80s - 7 range from 52.8" to 79.2", and 5 from 94.3" to 142.3". Of course, I'd far rather blow thru the 80s and reach top-5 status :weight_lift: , but that looks unlikely.

Little off topic but does anyone else wish that the ranges on the NERFC daily snowfall maps were a little different?

Really it's just the first one. A station can get 0" or 0.9" and still be in the same bracket. There should be 0" and then another range of 0.1"--1.0".

I recorded 0.8" yesterday and yet show up the same as another observer who got nada. I've been thinking this for a while but only now did I remember to post about it. Not a biggie, obviously, just something that has crossed my mind before...

post-2284-0-34451300-1300380471.jpg

K'bec jam has moved a couple hundred yards downstream, allowing the gauge to drop below 10.5'. Doesn't look like any flood-causing wx before next week (and I hope there's some white stuff in there) as tomorrow's CF will stop the melt by mid-aft in the mts. In addition, the winds will probably evaporate nearly as much as much as the warm temps will melt. GYX included "isolated TS"after (or well after) midnight for the entire CWA. No mention in CAR, though they've got a WWA for the far north, up to 2-4" and maybe some ice Ft. Kent and points west. CAR itself has improved to about 95% of normal snowfall for this far in the season. They were at about 40% of climo in mid Jan.

The two lower lawns outside here are about 2/3 bare (or puddles), while the one closest to Hospital Street shows only 20% grass. I'm guesing I'll be at 15-16" at my stake when the temp drops below freezing tomorrow evening.

When I saw your posts about snowpack I realized that my snowpack data from the house had been cut off when I pasted in my observations yesterday. Anyway it's at 25" as of this morning, which sounds similar to what's down in town there at Stowe. One can really see the difference now with how the 1,500' snowpack you monitor is doing - at one point I recall you remarking how our snowpack at 500' and that one at 1,500' were surprising similar, but the 1,500’ one is notably higher now.

Yeah, I did some prodding around yesterday afternoon and found anywhere from 25-29" of snow... most were closer to 26" than 29". I'd say by now after today's 50F weather here in town that we are down in the 23-24" range. This stuff doesn't melt fast, but days like this certainly take a quick 1-2" off it, and last night we never really got down to freezing except for maybe an hour around sunrise when the clouds finally cleared. Overnight temps in the mid to upper 30s definitely make it go a lot faster because the snow can't lock up at night.

Anyway, good observations about the snowpack at 1,500ft because I have certainly been noticing it. Most of the winter that snow stake was very similar in terms of depth to down here at 800ft and also over in your area at 500ft... it did end up maxing out at 46" at the highest I think I measured in town was 38" or so though it might have touched 40" as I don't have a set stake down here. Since that max depth 8-9 days ago, we have lost ~14-16" down in town, while during the same time the base of the ski area at 1,500ft has only lost 8" or so. You can see that amount of decrease in snow depth over the past 9 days is directly tied to elevation as here's the snow loss since Tuesday, March 8th:

Change in snow depth between March 8th and March 16th (not including today's melt because I don't have this afternoon's snow stake data):

3,700ft... -2"

3,000ft... -4"

1,500ft... -8"

800ft... -14"

Of course its not shocker that snow melts faster in lower elevations, but its interesting to compare the differences. In fact, the change at 3,700ft and 3,000ft is likely only the storm snow from that big storm on March 7th settling out as several inches of snow have fallen at those locations over this time period. So the 2 and 4" decreases are likely not due to melting, but instead 2 feet of powder settling out as we added some rain and additional snow weight to the snowpack.

This is certainly the time of year when the snowpack above 2,000ft can still be rising, while at the same time the snowpack below that elevation is decreasing as average snow and freezing levels rise above the valley floors.

We briefly went calm after midnight and fell to 33.8F, but most of the night it has been in the 40s. 44.3F now with a warm S-SW wind giving us a nice springboard for 60s today.

Yeah, after I posted last night, the clouds cleared out for a spell and the winds were calm sending us downt to 32F for a while.

Back up tp 40-41 now and apparently is rained just a wee bit overnight.

OMG!! Winds kicked up from the west and the sun just came out. I thought maybe a glitch, but it keeps rising and actually it's funny because I was taking a nap and woke up to water starting to pour off the roof and I wasn't sure if it was rain, but it was the start of snow melt

OutsideTempHistory.gif

Archived