• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

Yeah, I thought that too. But Cornwall is a little north (but also east) of Orwell. Hard Tellin'.

CoCopuffs reports showing things in Addison Co. as more in line with Orwell...

http://www.cocorahs....e.aspx?state=vt

A spotter in Orwell also reported 17 inches this morning. My estimate of 17 inches was just that, an estimate. I poked around the yard, the house, the back pasture/meadow and came up with 15 to 20 inches throughout, so decided to go with 17. The wind howled all night, and only recently seems to have dropped below 10 mph. There's another 6 inches on the porch, so 23" is about where things stand right now. I suspect the Cornwall report was a typo.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only lived up here for 13 years, but I've never seen anything like this...and that includes 14 Feb 07. A lot of drifting, but I picked some sheltered areas and took ten different measurements for an average of 21" as of 15 minutes ago. I don't even know where to start with the snow blowing. I have four foot drifts right up against my garage door and at the bottom of my driveway where it meets the road, the plows have created a wall that a mountain climber would be proud to scale.

Still coming down at a good clip. We never went over to sleet last night ( I was up until 5am) but it came awfully close...couldn't have been too far SE of Barre. There was a lull between 4am and 5am and was just picking back up when I went to bed.

Did I mention I moved here after living in Panama City, Fl. for 18 years? :whistle:

But I gotta tell you....I love it! :weenie:

I love that area. I'm from southwest GA originally and whenever I go back to visit family, we make a trip to PCB. There is a lot of snow out there. If someone had asked me if this weekend would see a net gain, I would have though no way, but that is what we have. I good for another week or two of this type of weather but then my thoughts turn to golf. My club sets its opening date for April 15th but it is usually the 20th or so when they open. Last year they openened the 7th or so, I'm having trouble seeing that happen again this year!

21.5" here at LSC...looks like atleast 3-5" more before it quits in the NEK...bigger than Vday 07 up here!

Our group split with half going to Burke so they could ski Monday Tuesday. I guess it's epic there right now.

Was an amazing contrast in temps where the area around cannon mired in the low 30s but bretton near 50 Saturday.

Looks like Burke or Stowe from here on out unless winters fabled triumphant return to sne occurs soon. Looks like even loon got wet this time.

It continues to snow 1"/hr... this just will not quit! We are going to have two feet down in the village from this and two to three feet on the mountain. I still can't believe the size of the drifts up there. Our long-time ski patrol director said those were some of the largest drifts he has ever seen on parts of the mountain. There's one drift that is at least 12 feet high behind the Octagon (our summit lodge/cafe).

Gore has picked up 25 inches with Whiteface similar, huge record breaking snowstorm. Whats even more crazy is that this is after parts of the Dacks had 2-3 inches of rain on Saturday. A met up in Indian Lake is reporting close to 6 inches of QPF over the 2-3 days. They had over 2.5 inches of rain Friday into Saturday with 20 inches of snow with this storm.

It's coming down as hard as I've seen it yet fpr this storm. Just think, this is the type of storm that had it occurred before the internet and sattelites etc. nobody would have expected. I saw a show about the 38 hurricane the other night and they spent quite a lot of time on the fact that people were just going about their business prior to the storm. I could see the story of this one starting off with a piece about the warmth the preeding day and how everyone was expecting Spring to be arriving, only to be surprised by all this snow! I know...:weenie:

Our group split with half going to Burke so they could ski Monday Tuesday. I guess it's epic there right now.

Was an amazing contrast in temps where the area around cannon mired in the low 30s but bretton near 50 Saturday.

Looks like Burke or Stowe from here on out unless winters fabled triumphant return to sne occurs soon. Looks like even loon got wet this time.

burke for sure. no lines and half the price...plus its closer.

Jealous of you

state of emergency declared in the eastern townships and around sherbrooke.

people trapped in cars and police not responding to 911 calls

reports of 80cm locally / 32 inches

a historic storm for them.

here is a pic i grabbed off the Radio-Canada site from Sherbrooke

post-149-0-10924700-1299531866.jpg

70cm at sherbrooke at 3pm as per Env Canada ....estimated due to weight of snow breaking the equipment at Sherbrooke airport :lol:

BTV sets March snowfall record (24 inches) and now 2010-2011 ranks 3rd all time:

.CLIMATE...

THE FOLLOWING IS OUR SNOWFALL NUMBERS AT THE NATIONAL WEATHER

SERVICE OFFICE IN SOUTH BURLINGTON VERMONT THROUGH 3 PM MONDAY. THE

STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL IS 24.0 INCHES AS OF 3 PM.

THE 24.0 INCHES IS THE HEAVIEST MARCH SNOWSTORM EVER AT

BTV...BREAKING THE PREVIOUS RECORD OF 22.9 INCHES ON MARCH 5TH THRU

THE 6TH OF 2001

TOP 5 GREATEST SNOWSTORMS AT BTV:

1.) 33.1" JAN 2-3 2010

2.) 29.8" DEC 25-28 1969

3.) 25.7" FEB 14-15 2007

4.) 24.7" JAN 13-14 1934

5.) 24.0" PRESENT STORM

TOP 5 SEASONAL SNOWFALL AT BTV:

1.) 145.4" 1970-71

2.) 132.0" 1886-87

3.) 122.5" PRESENT

3.) 122.5" 2000-01

4.) 120.2" 2007-08

THE DAILY SNOWFALL RECORD FOR MARCH 7TH AT BTV IS 15.7 SET BACK IN

1994...WE ARE CURRENTLY AT 15.3 THROUGH 3 PM TODAY.

Wow! It is still dumping... this is at least 1/2" an hour snow, maybe more. Huge, huge, upslope flakes just pounding down. There's a low density covering of 3-4" of upslope dust on top of the denser storm snow.

Snow depth out back anywhere from 34-38" and if this keeps up we will go over 40" on the ground down in the village of Stowe.

My 1,500ft snow plot at the base of Mansfield was showing 19" of wind-packed snow with a total depth of 42".

Getting into the 40"+ range is impressive to me for even 1,500ft, and another few inches and we'll be there down here in town at 800ft.

I can only imagine what some of the backcountry terrain is going to be like tomorrow.

Wow! It is still dumping... this is at least 1/2" an hour snow, maybe more. Huge, huge, upslope flakes just pounding down. There's a low density covering of 3-4" of upslope dust on top of the denser storm snow.

Snow depth out back anywhere from 34-38" and if this keeps up we will go over 40" on the ground down in the village of Stowe.

My 1,500ft snow plot at the base of Mansfield was showing 19" of wind-packed snow with a total depth of 42".

Getting into the 40"+ range is impressive to me for even 1,500ft, and another few inches and we'll be there down here in town at 800ft.

I hope you took some pics today. Everyone on the other board is saying something like 'sorry, too busy skiing to even think of taking any pics.'

Here's a pic... this trail was groomed around midnight last night, flat from side to side. At 9am one half of the trail was covered in 5-8 foot drifts, the other half of the trail was passable. I should've gotten a skier passing by for reference, but the drifts on the left dwarfed skiers/riders. The tallest one is easily 8 feet deep above the groomed surface below.

This is basically the story of today...big, big snow.

Archived