Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NNE Winter Snow Thread

dryslot

Event totals: 2.6” Snow/0.16” L.E.

Sunday 2/27/2011 6:00 P.M. update: It continued to snow this morning, with much bigger flakes producing notably fluffier snow. It seemed to be tapering off around midday, but we had to head off to Stowe before noon so I didn’t do the liquid analysis until I got home. It looks like it got above freezing down here in the valley today, as the accumulated snow was melted down and refrozen on the snowboard. Up on the mountain we saw a bit of additional snowfall today, and temperatures were fantastic, probably topping out around 30 F. On the way home I saw a cool scene with some icicles when we stopped at the Alpine Mart on the Mountain Road, so I snapped some photos and added one below. As the end of the day approached it had that feel of a slightly warm day as one would see in early spring, with the night and cooler temperatures were quickly on the way. The icicles definitely seemed to fit with that feel.

27FEB11A.jpg

The next system starts tonight, and we’re under a winter weather advisory here. For the local mountains the point forecasts call for snow and some sleet, but down here in the valley it seems like there’s a chance for a bit of rain during the warm part of the day. Looking at our point forecast, it suggests a 2 to 4-inch type of accumulation between the snow and sleet.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 1.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 46.7

Snow Density: 2.1% H2O

Temperature: 30.2 F

Sky: Mostly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 27.0 inches

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early morning observations from Stowe...

25F at 800ft in the village

23F at 1,500ft here in the Mountain Operations Center

16F at 3,950ft near top of mtn

A dusting of snow overnight, currently 75% snow and 25% sleet. You can tell its getting warm up there somewhere as these are some icy snow flakes. 1" new in the past 24 hours but thats snow that fell yesterday after the 6am weather/snow report.

Here's a like to temperatures at 3,950ft... should be interesting to watch warming aloft if it happens down to that elevation.

http://www.wrh.noaa....NV1&banner=gmap

I also see Bolton Valley at 2,100ft is showing 21F right now, so it is plenty cold here in the 1-4K foot range for frozen or freezing. We'll certainly be sleet here at the base of the mountain, if the 3,950ft temp stays below freezing, as that water droplet has over 2,400 vertical feet to fall through before it hits here at the base, and over 3,000ft to fall before it hits town.

What is it, usually 1,000ft subfreezing column to get sleet?

A little -SN right now, but nothing big. I think my backyard stays 32F or less for the duration of the precip...then we mix out a bit when the NW winds pick up tonight. At least by then the sun will be down. I like the cold temps up in ME this morning....as the precip moves up toward there the evap. cooling should help enhance the NE drain.

Loving how this storm has trended colder. Forecast temps for today have dropped from 43F Saturday to 38F yesterday and now 34F today. GYX is saying 2-4" snow and removed plain rain (though I suspect that won't be the case). Two zones north of me has 3-7" in the forecast. Net gain today? It's possible. As for next weekend's storm, if it follows the same trending cold pattern the last few have, we could have a heckuva storm on our hands.

We are snowing clumps of icy snow the size and mass of small pine cones. There are some icy needles or columns mixed in with huge aggregates but no pure sleet bouncing off my glove right now.

It goes to snow during heavier bursts and sleet seems to mix in when its lighter. All snow right now, but I just overheard the groomers just say "the snow is getting louder."

Started as sleet and freezing rain mix here in the CT River Valley, drive into work was in and out of moderate freezing rain showers with some sleet mixed in. Car was completely glazed over by the time I arrived here at work in Lebanon.

Thanks for the report! I'll be headed that direction soon.

Sleet here, occasioinally a flake or two mixed in.

23F.

Congrats. That colder trend has resulted in a forecast for a colder rain here.

Happy to help. Enjoy! ^_^

Thanks for the report! I'll be headed that direction soon.

Sleet here, occasioinally a flake or two mixed in.

23F.

I guess it has stopped raining from co-workers reports coming in, looks like some dryness before that large area of precip moves in, maybe you will make it in before that hits :).

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.02” L.E.

Monday 2/28/2011 6:00 A.M. update: When I made my 6:00 A.M. observations the precipitation at the house was light snow with some grainy snow in there as well, so it made a big mixture of flake sizes (1 to 10 mm range seemed like the best estimate). Although one could hear the grainy snow falling, I didn’t see any real ice pellets, and the snow to water ratio was 10:1 so the accumulation wasn’t too dense at that point. When I left for Burlington around 6:30 A.M., the precipitation at the house was mostly grainy snow with a few other flakes. West of the house in the Bolton/Jonesville area the temperature on the car thermometer held right at 30 F and the precipitation remained grainy snow/sleet. As I passed through Richmond/Williston, some liquid precipitation appeared in the mix, and the temperature was 31 F. When I stopped at the traffic light in Richmond, I could see that the pellets falling looked like straight ice and not snow grains, so that was another transition taking place as I headed west. Once past the I-89 rest area in Williston, the temperature quickly jumped up to 34 F and the precipitation was plain rain. Here on the UVM campus the paved surfaces have a crusty layer on them, so something frozen accumulated at one point, but it was just rain by my arrival around 7:00 A.M. All in all, roads were in fine shape for my route from Waterbury to Burlington; they were snow covered but with plenty of traction in the Waterbury/Bolton area, transitioning to just slushy/wet the closer one got to Burlington. Currently (8:00 A.M.) here in Burlington the precipitation is light and appears to be continuing as plain rain. The roads (at least the treated ones) are still just wet and traffic appears to be moving smoothly. I just called home since E and the boys don’t have school, and it’s the same sort of sleety/grainy precipitation continuing there.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 27.5 F

Sky: Light Snow/Snow Grains (1-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 27.0 inches

My temp rose 10.4°F in the last hour. Currently at 30.7°F with light freezing drizzle. Coastal front plowing northward. Snowpack will get knocked down a little in this storm, which is currently at 29". Just hoping for a cold rain today.

EDIT: By the time I finished writing this post, I'm now at 32°F, so make that a 12°F rise in an hour. :(

We started as sleet. When the intensity picked up, we switched to snowflakes the size of VW's. It backed off and went to tiny flakes and then it was ripping sleet as I drove from Peacham to St. J. At some point before I left we had also had graupel and freezing rain as both were lightly on the car. All this by 7:25, not a bad start to the morning. It was 23 when I headed out the door.

Interesting meso-scale stuff going on around here and will be fun to monitor today...

It appears the Champlain Valley/Burlington area is already at or above freezing. Meanwhile the cold air is locked in at the 1,000-2,500ft elevations from the Spine and eastward.

Note the 22F at 2,100ft at Bolton right on the Spine... that fits with what I'm seeing a couple mountains north with 24F at 1,500ft and 15F at 3,900ft.

Another fun spot to watch today is Morrisville-Stowe Airport for localized downslope warming, along with the Western Slopes of the Greens for downslope warming. Morrisville-Stowe Airport sits in a flat field on the western side of the Worcester Range (a 3,000ft ridgeline that makes up the eastern edge of Stowe and Morrisville), and MVL has a tendency to get breezy and warm from ESE/SE winds long before other areas around here warm up.

Its funny because here in the town of Stowe we are bounded by the two mountain ridgelines... 4,000ft Green Mtn Spine on the western side of town, and 3,000ft Worcester Range ridgeline on the eastern side of town. There are two different zones during events like these (general SSE/SE/ESE flows) because the east side of town (Stowe Hollow up to MVL) has a tendency to get warm and windy on the downslope off the Worcesters... while the west side of town upslopes into the Green Mountain spine causing localized upslope cooling.

I bet in a bit we will see a big difference in temps between the warmer MVL/Stowe Hollow area and over here in western Stowe where its colder on the Mountain Road and up near the ski resort.

We are back to more snow than sleet all the sudden... I've seen it happen where sometimes we get just enough easterly component to the wind to upslope this east side of Mansfield and keep us in the snow longer than surrounding areas.

What is impressive is that SLK at over 1,600ft in the middle of the Adirondacks is 34F and raining steadily right now.

We are back over to 100% grainy snow.... visibility is no more than a half a mile and it is pouring snow grains mixed with real flakes.

I see MVL and MPV both went back over to -SN at the ASOS's.

Interesting meso-scale stuff going on around here and will be fun to monitor today...

Yep--while I don't like cutters or close calls such as this event for obvious reasons, it is interesting and fun to watch the temperature variations from spot to spot with regard to local/meso terrain/flow influences.

I guess it has stopped raining from co-workers reports coming in, looks like some dryness before that large area of precip moves in, maybe you will make it in before that hits :).

Pure sleet the whole way, from top to bottom. Roads weren't too bad though....

Tick-tick-ping!

Currently mod snow in AUG, airport temp was 21 an hour ago. Precip is finally looking to be steady after 2-3 fits and starts.

Managed to squeeze out 1.2" snow out of about 16 hr precip yesterday, allowing my total to slip into last place (I think) among Maine posters who show their snowfall. That might change today, as GYX has 4-6" for the foothills (just revised down from 4-8") plus 1/4" ice. The same mts from which downsloping exterminates snowsqualls before they reach MBY, are also handy for trapping cold air in this kind of event, so I'm hoping for no plain rain today.

If I get at least 3.2" today, Feb snowfall climbs into the 30s for the 5th time in 13 yr, most for any month. (Dec: 3, Mar: 3, Apr: 1, oddly none in Jan despite 8 yr of 22.6 to 27.5"; consistently average.) Considering that I had nothing measurable Feb. 9-24 (57% of the month) and no storms larger than 8.9", reaching 30 would be remarkable.

Archived