e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NNE Winter Snow Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowed light but consistent along Rt 95 from PWM up to HOU last night.

First flakes chased me to my door here at 0300.

Honkin' out of the SE and dumpin' down now.

Had to dig the wife out from a lady driver mishap on the slope/curve part of our driveway. I tractorized and she Passatted off to her nursely duty.

This storm is a tough measure because of wind but I'm aiming to take the cake on this.

My call- 11" here in PQI/CAR for the Tootsiepop.

Vim Toot!

Had to dig the wife out from a lady driver mishap on the slope/curve part of our driveway. I tractorized and she Passatted off to her nursely duty.

This storm is a tough measure because of wind but I'm aiming to take the cake on this.

Vim Toot!

:weenie: !

Not really sleet, not really snow, I will call it frozen rain.

Haha, what? Its not freezing rain down in the village is it? We've seen 75% sleet and 25% snow up here at the mountain with this... a little over 1" of snow/sleet on both snow boards from this morning's precipitation.

There has been absolutely nothing close to liquid falling up here. Its 21F at 4,000ft and 28F at 1,500ft. That's a sufficiently deep cold layer for at least sleet.

I can't believe we may escape this without any freezing rain... I bet we see some freezing drizzle or mist later, but right now we are seeing snow grains, a few flakes, and ice pellets. No crust on any snow surface. The ski conditions may survive without crusting over... this would be a huge win for the off-piste/ungroomed ski conditions.

Vim Toot!

I love that...just the kind of problem I like to have!

I give you the cake....with jiggly icing.

Mark, We are at 3.5" of snow here now about 35" depth

That's an awesome, awesome snow depth! Congrats dude... pushing an honest 3 feet is not easy to do.

We are at 31" snow depth at 1,500ft here at the ski area... I think a lot of you in NH and ME probably have more on the ground, but have received less snowfall. That's what happens when the bulk of the 142" that has fallen so far is primarily low-moisture fluff. If we had gotten 142" of 10:1 ratio snow, our snowpack here at the base would probably be pushing 4-5 feet, haha.

That's an awesome, awesome snow depth! Congrats dude... pushing an honest 3 feet is not easy to do.

We are at 31" snow depth at 1,500ft here at the ski area... I think a lot of you in NH and ME probably have more on the ground, but have received less snowfall. That's what happens when the bulk of the 142" that has fallen so far is primarily low-moisture fluff. If we had gotten 142" of 10:1 ratio snow, our snowpack here at the base would probably be pushing 4-5 feet, haha.

Thanks, Yeah since Jan we have had quite a run on snow, I was out riding yesterday and some kid went off the trail and buried his sled, Man i went in to try to help him and the snow was waist deep, Of course me being a skidoo man was more then happy to hook up a strap to that polaris to pull him out......... :P

You are approaching 08 levels in Maine which were near 50 in the higher spots. Hopefully you continue to pile it up. I believe you guys are in for a fantastic March after all is said and done. Will be up there soon to play.

Next weeekend there may be a large ridge forming, and while it is early, we could be in for temps in the 40's, and rain, possibly followed by a change to snow. Obviously that could change, look at this storm.

Thanks, Yeah since Jan we have had quite a run on snow, I was out riding yesterday and some kid went off the trail and buried his sled, Man i went in to try to help him and the snow was waist deep, Of course me being a skidoo man was more then happy to hook up a strap to that polaris to pull him out......... :P

:thumbsup:

34 inches at the stake this am. Will that be my peak depth of the winter? Or do we nickel and dime this week and then get a big storm late weekend? Will be interesting to watch this next one develop. Anyone see the Euro today?

I will look........

Looks like we would start as snow on sunday then switch to rain, The front is pretty stretched out with a tight temp gradient, Looks like a low forms on the end of the front and trys to ride up along it as it pushes off shore and changes us back to snow

Photo-evidence of the contrary:

IMG_5892Large.jpg

Vim Toot!

You are approaching 08 levels in Maine which were near 50 in the higher spots. Hopefully you continue to pile it up. I believe you guys are in for a fantastic March after all is said and done. Will be up there soon to play.

Very true for the southern 1/4 of the state, less so elsewhere. MBY reached 48" in 3/08 and 49" in late 2/09. I had 24" OG when I left for work this morning, and a co-worker who left Farmington about noon said they had received less than 2" new. Even with one blotch of 25 dbz about 12:30, I doubt I'll get more than 3-4" from this one, leaving me about 20" short of those two prior years. Solid pack, though; the deer have to work to access the ash buds I put on the ground the past two weekends (augmenting firewood, not to feed the deer.)

At 1 PM, AUG went abruptly from +SN to -SN to sleet mix, while staying at 32. Very little of anything falling now, radar says it's about done, maybe 4 inches here. Wunderground obs had MBY still mid-upper 20s, so at least no ice/crust.

Next weekend: After several days in which gfs had 2-3" qpf for that event, the 12z run slashed that to 1/2-2/3" for AUG/RUM, also backed off h85 temps to 2-3C (had been 5-7C), though AUG 2m gets to 40-41. At this distance, we really don't know anything yet.

I will look........

Looks like we would start as snow on sunday then switch to rain, The front is pretty stretched out with a tight temp gradient, Looks like a low forms on the end of the front and trys to ride up along it as it pushes off shore and changes us back to snow

Thanks Jeff. Discussion starting in the March 5-8 thread. Seems like this will shift and change a lot, especially with the gradient so nearby. I don't understand enough about what the teleconnections would suggest in terms of how this would trend.

Archived