• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NNE Winter Snow Thread

dryslot

Thanks Jeff. Discussion starting in the March 5-8 thread. Seems like this will shift and change a lot, especially with the gradient so nearby. I don't understand enough about what the teleconnections would suggest in terms of how this would trend.

Yeah Mark, We will be following over the next few days, This will change around some and it won't take much of a shift east for this to be a snowstorm up here, Its not like its out by the great lakes and has to trend 500 miles

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like about 1" of sleet here before the ZR/ZL/R/L. The high is 32.6F so far, but it has been above 32.0F since about noon. Latent heating from the ZR quickly warmed us up and now there is a little latent cooling from the slow melt. End result is we're hanging around just above 32.0F. Such is the life of an insitu-CAD event in the foothills.

Looks like about 1" of sleet here before the ZR/ZL/R/L. The high is 32.6F so far, but it has been above 32.0F since about noon. Latent heating from the ZR quickly warmed us up and now there is a little latent cooling from the slow melt. End result is we're hanging around just above 32.0F. Such is the life of an insitu-CAD event in the foothills.

A lot of people don't know that. Good to bring up.

Yep, we got up to 49" otg by early March of 2008. Couldn't quite get to 50" but damn wasn't I tryin'. ;)

30" at the stake this morn.....

Probably was 50-51" at the stake (24.5" atop a solid 27) as accum ended on 2/23/09, but the thing was so plastered I couldn't read it, and I knew that making 2' deep snowshoe tracks out to it would mess with subsequent readings. By my usual 9 PM obs time the snow had fallen off the front of the stake, but had also settled to 49".

Hanging at 32 in AUG, and visibility suggests something is falling (,don't think it's all fog), but I can't see what - prob dz or frz dz. BY area still in the 20s.

Latent heating from the ZR quickly warmed us up and now there is a little latent cooling from the slow melt. End result is we're hanging around just above 32.0F.

Good stuff, right there.

Probably was 50-51" at the stake (24.5" atop a solid 27) as accum ended on 2/23/09,

Just looked at my numbers for that day--picked up 11.9" of snow yielding a 39" snowpack.

6pm and I am at 31.8F. Stayed below freezing all day. It always seems to happen, I hold on to the cold air so well in my location. 2.5" of snow with 2" falling in about 45 minutes with an extremely heavy snow burst. Heaviest snow of the year outside of brief squalls that can lower visablilty more. There is a ton of snow outside and I would say that this is my winter snow depth peak. Warmer and increasing sun angle should start the melting process tomorrow.

After dropping back down to 32.0F the CAA has set in and now we're mixing out a bit and temporarily warming. 33.4F and slowly climbing.

Same thing happened here yesterday. Stayed <32 until the northwesterlies mixed down a little warmer air and we got up to 33 for a while...but dropped back down fairly quickly.

1.7" of pure sleet with a LE of 0.45".

Tough stuff to plow!

Same thing happened here yesterday. Stayed <32 until the northwesterlies mixed down a little warmer air and we got up to 33 for a while...but dropped back down fairly quickly.

1.7" of pure sleet with a LE of 0.45".

Tough stuff to plow!

I gave up on shoveling it. I'll let the increased sun angle do its job. For the next several days, though, it will be an icy mess.

I gave up on shoveling it. I'll let the increased sun angle do its job. For the next several days, though, it will be an icy mess.

Yeah, it was pretty brutal--I had to at least get the end of our road where the town guys leave quite a berm and around the mailbox so we don't get the nasty note again. :lol:

I didn't finish though. The truck was still chugging along but I ran out of gas! Get back on it later today....

Here are some pictures from yesterday...

Estimated 1.25" on the 1,500ft snow board around 10am yesterday morning... we picked up another half inch of sleet/snow mixture after that. Total at 1,500ft was just under 2".

IMG_3515_edited-1.jpg

Board cleared.

IMG_3524_edited-1.jpg

Around 10am also during one of the times it had gone back to pretty much all snow. It snowed hard at times but ratios were horrible even during times of all snow. Very dense, icy flakes.

IMG_3508_edited-1.jpg

Snow depth yesterday at 1,500ft was 31"... this picture was from Sunday (not yesterday) but the snow depth remained unchanged after adding just under 2" of sleet (you can barely make out the numbers, but that is a 31).

IMG_3470_edited-1.jpg

This was yesterday at the 3,000ft snow measuring area... 55" at the snow depth stake:

IMG_3516_edited-1.jpg

And an action shot... sleet skis surprisingly well. Its like sand but doesn't mess up the surface conditions. We really dodged a bullet with this storm.

IMG_3530_edited-1.jpg

And an action shot... sleet skis surprisingly well. Its like sand but doesn't mess up the surface conditions. We really dodged a bullet with this storm.

Great shot...and yes, sleet does ski pretty well--solid and firm under foot and yet fairly easy to dance through.

Headed to Smuggs on Saturday with some old college buddies. We'll see what the weather has in store....

Snowed light but consistent along Rt 95 from PWM up to HOU last night.

First flakes chased me to my door here at 0300.

Honkin' out of the SE and dumpin' down now.

Had to dig the wife out from a lady driver mishap on the slope/curve part of our driveway. I tractorized and she Passatted off to her nursely duty.

This storm is a tough measure because of wind but I'm aiming to take the cake on this.

My call- 11" here in PQI/CAR for the Tootsiepop.

Vim Toot!

Deserved the weenie Ray gave me on this yesterday.

Predicted 11". Got 7". Nothing but snow at least..

I'm gettin out of the predictions end of things here and sticking with my strengths- impoliteness and middle-browed gags.

Time to go looking for my buried trails.

Vim Toot!

I'm gettin out of the predictions end of things here and sticking with my strengths- impoliteness and middle-browed gags.

Vim Toot!

Just take the line going horizontal at the top of the 7, put it next to the other line in the 7, tilt them so they are both standing straight next to one another and voila! You are a seer....

Vim Toot!

I had 5-10" for you up there

Archived