• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NNE Winter Snow Thread

dryslot

GFS sticking to its guns on the D6 wet snow bomb.. 00z Euro caves and goes east of 12z. This storm reminds me a lot of the storm around 2/24 last year for the Champlain valley (picked up around 20" in that one at Middlebury) with the stalled front, weak low, marginal temps and extreme QPF

Things seem to be trending in NNE favor, Long duration wet snow taint event

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

w

soon we will see if this is just for powderfreak, jspin, organizinglow and the tootster....or if eric, jeff, brian and I get included in the white love.

I really hope you guys get in on it... because that means we are just that much colder. I'd rather this go east a bit then have to worry about it moving further west and raining here while the Dacks get crushed.

soon we will see if this is just for powderfreak, jspin, organizinglow and the tootster....or if eric, jeff, brian and I get included in the white love.

Mark, We look to be on the fence, Can only hope for a snow to rain back to snow deal right now as it stands

Just looked up 2/24-25 from last year that skierinvt mentioned. Picked up just shy of 18" with that puppy.

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle again.....". ;)

Just looked up 2/24-25 from last year that skierinvt mentioned. Picked up just shy of 18" with that puppy.

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle again.....".

Haha... yeah that storm was something and looks sort of similar if you are on the right side (err left side) of the boundary. Mansfield summit picked up over 5" of liquid equivalent over a 3-4 day period there with close to 4 feet of snow. It was after that time frame when the summit snow depth hit 100" because the snow was so wet and heavy that it didn't settle at all... it was like adding 4 feet of concrete to the snowpack.

I had 16" from that storm in Jonesville, VT down at 320ft... I think the village of Stowe was in the 20-24" range. That was a lot of QPF at like 7-8:1 ratios and it was quite elevation dependent. My 16" in Jonesville was pure blue slop.

Current Obs...

28F with moderate snow. Flakes are huge, classic upslope style stuff. Some I measured in the half inch to 3/4" diameter range... each flake accounts for like a tenth of an inch on the snowboard, lol. My car has that "splotchy" look to it as there's over a half inch of snow where each individual flake falls, but then you can still see the roof of the car in other areas.

It just started to really, come down. Nice to see some yellow 30-35dbz on the radar show up over the Mansfield massif and the RT 108/Mountain Road corridor.

MVL hasn't reported any flakes yet, but its been snowing nicely up here for a while... orographics FTW.

So,.. ecmwf, gfs show a sizeable rain event for here, (NNE) this weekend,. but thats what it showed a week ago for this past monday, and I stayed 95% snow,.. Is there another model error?? Ive been fooled by this week after week lately, almost calling for winter cancel,.. but its always come through on the cold side. Anyone want to throw out their guesses for this weekend??

w

I really hope you guys get in on it... because that means we are just that much colder. I'd rather this go east a bit then have to worry about it moving further west and raining here while the Dacks get crushed.

This is one fascinating storm coming up.

As others mentioned. This reminds me of the Late Feb. storms of last year that crushed the catskills. Two waves along a near vertical frontal boundary in the NE. Neither really wrapped up into an closed storm at any point until the very end....

As PF pointed out it was very very wet snow on Mansfield that day. 17 inches in round one with over 2 inches of water. Better than rain I suppose. However the Avy conditions are VERY high right now. I know some people set off a very blocky slide in the woods and another one on a chute on mansfield that ran several K to the road and let a powder plume of 150ft into the air.

Also know a skier trapped and taken 500-800 vert. on MTW yesterday. Eht heavy dense snow from last week is sitting right on the freeze crust from Pres. weekend and not bonding at all.

If this comes in as wet heavy snow...watch out. I think some serious stuff will blow out. Trap Dyke, ADK slides, MTW, Mansfield ...all will likely have a very large and possible very dangerous avy cycle.

Light snow falling, 32F. Pretty impressive warm-up after getting all the way down to 7F overnight.

That was a lot of QPF at like 7-8:1 ratios and it was quite elevation dependent. My 16" in Jonesville was pure blue slop.

Had 1.55" of water for 17.5" of snow with that one here. Then I show 0.63" of rain the next day with the snowpack dropping from 22" down to 12" in 24 hours. Don't remember that part so much. Must've blocked it out. ;)

Dating myself here but i had that album on Vinyl.... :yikes:

Ha-ha, got lots of vinyl myself, being on the downslope of 40 now. :oldman:

Still listen to them too, having a turntable in the workshop.

Light snow falling, 32F. Pretty impressive warm-up after getting all the way down to 7F overnight.

Had 1.55" of water for 17.5" of snow with that one here. Then I show 0.63" of rain the next day with the snowpack dropping from 22" down to 12" in 24 hours. Don't remember that part so much. Must've blocked it out. ;)

Ha-ha, got lots of vinyl myself, being on the downslope of 40 now. :oldman:

Still listen to them too, having a turntable in the workshop.

Yeah i stil have a lot of vinyl i have kept around, Doobie Bros, Steely Dan, Cat Stevens, Dan Fogelberg, Eagles, Clapton, etc,etc............... :thumbsup:

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle again.....".

Haha... yeah that storm was something and looks sort of similar if you are on the right side (err left side) of the boundary. Mansfield summit picked up over 5" of liquid equivalent over a 3-4 day period there with close to 4 feet of snow. It was after that time frame when the summit snow depth hit 100" because the snow was so wet and heavy that it didn't settle at all... it was like adding 4 feet of concrete to the snowpack.

I had 16" from that storm in Jonesville, VT down at 320ft... I think the village of Stowe was in the 20-24" range. That was a lot of QPF at like 7-8:1 ratios and it was quite elevation dependent. My 16" in Jonesville was pure blue slop.

LOL, it seems that those of us along the spine are in the "clown" group, which fits as well as anything I'd guess!

Once you guys started referencing that storm, I had to go grab some of my text from back then. In my data I've got back to back storms noted, with the following numbers:

2/23 Event: 20.4" snow/2.37" L.E.

2/25 Event: 3.2" snow/0.53" L.E.

Mt. Mansfield liquid for that period:

Tue 2/23: 0.12”

Wed 2/24: 2.37”

Thu 2/25: 0.95”

Fri 2/26: 0.61”

------------------

Sum: 4.05”

And some of the ski area totals from that first event:

Jay Peak: 36”

Smuggler’s Notch: 26”

Stowe: 32”

Bolton Valley: 43”

Mad River Glen: 36”

Sugarbush: 46”

Killington: 37”

Pico: 34”

Okemo: 42”

Bromley: 29”

Magic Mountain: 26”

Stratton: 32”

Mount Snow: 37”

The snow was certainly wet for around here, but boy what a resurfacing the slopes received! The slopes had been so scratchy for much of the season that it really helped. It certainly would be interesting for the mountains if something in that vein took place again. Down at the house that heavy snow brought down an old apple tree in the woods and I finally cleaned it up this fall not long before the snows came.

I've ranted on here before about how close that event came to repeating the epic snowdump on the same dates in 1969, so I won't rehash that, just show the precip and snowfall totals for a bunch of Maine sites from PWM up through Jackman. "COOP" is the New Sharon coop observer, about 4 miles SE of MBY and 90' higher elev. "LFD" is Long Falls Dam, at the outlet of Flagstaff Lake.

PWM........6.17".....1.0"

LEW.........5.71".....9.5"

Bridg........4.55".....4.4"

Farm........3.00".....9.5"

MBY..........3.80"....10.7"

COOP.......4.47"....11.5"

Andover....3.04"....16.0"

Rang........3.23".....16.5"

Eustis......3.29".....22.7"

LFD..........3.23".....26.3"

Phillips....4.80......26.5"

Jack.........2.70".....31.0"

Sugarloaf reports I've seen range from 30" at the base to as much as 5' around the summit. Not sure what to believe (though the base report seems valid, as they're 300-400' higher than Eustis and LFD.

Heading up to Killington Friday night to go skiing all day Saturday. GFS holds out hope we may keep frozen precip through the day on Saturday before flipping to rain.

Any thoughts?

Well, Being east of killington here and thinking we will start off as frozen ourselves on Saturday i would think it would be a good bet that you will be there as well, After that from Sunday on, All bets are off this far out as to what may happen once the front passes our area

Well, Being east of killington here and thinking we will start off as frozen ourselves on Saturday i would think it would be a good bet that you will be there as well, After that from Sunday on, All bets are off this far out as to what may happen once the front passes our area

Yeah I'm leaving Sunday AM... just skiing Saturday.

I'll be content with keeping frozen until 2pm Sat and then a flip to rain.

Heh, left the house an hour ago and the sun was poking through and the glass up to 33/34. At work now. Just checked the VT DOT webcams and it's puking snow from Berlin to Brookfield to Bethel along I-89. A webam five miles by way of the crow from my place shows the same. Squalls comin'!

Yeah i stil have a lot of vinyl i have kept around, Doobie Bros, Steely Dan, Cat Stevens, Dan Fogelberg, Eagles, Clapton, etc,etc............... :thumbsup:

Nice selection right there--love the first three Steely Dan albums. Recently picked up at a used record store one of my all time favs:

OkDL.jpg

Heh, left the house an hour ago and the sun was poking through and the glass up to 33/34. At work now. Just checked the VT DOT webcams and it's puking snow from Berlin to Brookfield to Bethel along I-89. A webam five miles by way of the crow from my place shows the same. Squalls comin'!

Nice selection right there--love the first three Steely Dan albums. Recently picked up at a used record store one of my all time favs:

OkDL.jpg

Yeah, I have the James Gang Bang album, I think that one has Funk 49 on there but it has been so long i could be wrong.....lol

Wow what an awesome morning of snow showers and squalls. That squall line was wild... absolute whiteout. Literally the definition of the word as we had wind gusts up to 50mph trip our wind sensors on chairlift towers and cause some lifts to stop. They have a safety mechanism where if the wind goes over a certain speed it shuts down immediately to avoid any damage or accidents during the higher gusts.

Almost impossible to measure, but luckily the snow boards are relatively sheltered. 1" new at 1,500ft and 2" at 3,000ft.

http://meteorology.l...m_animation.php

Here are timelapse videos of two LSC cameras. You can see the squalls come through at about 45 and 48 seconds in.

That's awesome! Looks like those hills/mtns off in the distance were in the snow a heck of a lot more than LSC.

I just got back to my place in the village and it looks like we picked up exactly 1" here in Stowe village... it looks like they plowed RT 108 but I'm not really sure why for an inch of snow. Roads were snowpacked up above 1,200ft and just wet below that. Either way, add another 1" to the season total here in town. Some parking lots are snow covered, some are just wet... snow is stuck sideways to the trees so it was definitely a wetter snow down here.

Beautiful squall line ripping through Maine.

Archived