joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

went to BI on Saturday out of point judith, never seen the traditional Ferry that crowded. looked like a refugee boat. one of the workers there said they never sell it out , the only limitation is the scheduled depart time. most parking lots filled even the state lot.

1 hour ago, sunny&pleasant said:

went to BI on Saturday out of point judith, never seen the traditional Ferry that crowded. looked like a refugee boat. one of the workers there said they never sell it out , the only limitation is the scheduled depart time. most parking lots filled even the state lot.

Yea LOL my wife and I were laughing at the ferry coming back did look like it was coming to Greece

Ended up checking out lower Falls on the Kancamangus today. What a spot. Tricky for my 3.5 yr old, but they have natural waterslides. That road is awesome. I always get drawn into the majesty of the mtns when I'm there. I love the ocean, but the mountains always strike a cord with me.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Ended up checking out lower Falls on the Kancamangus today. What a spot. Tricky for my 3.5 yr old, but they have natural waterslides. That road is awesome. I always get drawn into the majesty of the mtns when I'm there. I love the ocean, but the mountains always strike a cord with me.

I've been to an awesome swimming hole with natural water slides on the Kang Highway like a decade ago...bet it was the same place.

That Kang highway is awesome, isn't like a lot of that above 2,000ft?

The mountains are calling...they do make weather more interesting as it's easy to visualize sometimes.  The ocean too.  Very cool meteorology (mesoscale) at the beach and in the mountains.

Nice! Glad you guys are having an awesome vacation up there. 

Great location.  I did that too as a kid and with my daughter.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I had to get my drivers license renewed, so today I drove up to Tamworth.  I decided to make an afternoon of it and continued north to remind myself why I don't go to North Conway, then headed west across 302.  It had been so long that I kinda forgot how epic Crawford Notch is.  Pretty epic natural A/C, car temp gauge dipped to 75 in spots.  Looks like the sun "sets" around 4:10 in there.

15 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I've been to an awesome swimming hole with natural water slides on the Kang Highway like a decade ago...bet it was the same place.

The mountains are calling...they do make weather more interesting as it's easy to visualize sometimes.  The ocean too.  Very cool meteorology (mesoscale) at the beach and in the mountains.

GYX is the best of both worlds.

20 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

You just have to be careful of the end of some of those water slides.  I was there one time with my boys and one of them, who was 8 at the time, scared the crap out of himself, and me, when he didn't think he was going to stop in time before going over a small waterfall.  He was out of my reach but another guy there grabbed him.  There was a decent amount of room before the water fall but when your kid is sliding towards it and he's freaking out it seems much closer than it really is, LOL

17 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I had to get my drivers license renewed, so today I drove up to Tamworth.  I decided to make an afternoon of it and continued north to remind myself why I don't go to North Conway, then headed west across 302.  It had been so long that I kinda forgot how epic Crawford Notch is.  Pretty epic natural A/C, car temp gauge dipped to 75 in spots.  Looks like the sun "sets" around 4:10 in there.

One of my favorite spots without a doubt.

4 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

you still haven't gotten rid of those yet?

Yeah seriously, get rid of it. If they can get into your daughter's room, that poses a pretty big risk if something happens like disturbing the AC unit from the inside. They are NOT pleasant when defending their nest and will swarm you...you def don't want white faced hornets inside your house while defending their nest.

Seriously, get some long range hornet killer...several cans of it, and shoot it up late in the evening when it's maybe still barely light out but well after sundown. Esp if it's cool out and/or a bit rainy. It will be pretty safe to hammer them with the spray at that time.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah seriously, get rid of it. If they can get into your daughter's room, that poses a pretty big risk if something happens like disturbing the AC unit from the inside. They are NOT pleasant when defending their nest and will swarm you...you def don't want white faced hornets inside your house while defending their nest.

Seriously, get some long range hornet killer...several cans of it, and shoot it up late in the evening when it's maybe still barely light out but well after sundown. Esp if it's cool out and/or a bit rainy. It will be pretty safe to hammer them with the spray at that time.

Tomorrow?

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I tried again last night but they started flying out even after dark

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I tried again last night but they started flying out even after dark

If the light is on in your daughter's room then they will fly out toward that if disturbed, they are attracted to the light when it's getting dark. So try doing it with no lights on because they are less likely to respond and be active with no lights on. You may want to do it early morning just before sunrise instead if evening isn't working out. Early morning has pros and cons...the pro is that it is coldest at that time and they have been inactive all night, so they are quite sluggish. The con is that the nest won't sit all night after being sprayed, it is daytime fairly quickly, so you may have to do it again the next morning if you didn't get all of them.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

If the light is on in your daughter's room then they will fly out toward that if disturbed, they are attracted to the light when it's getting dark. So try doing it with no lights on because they are less likely to respond and be active with no lights on. You may want to do it early morning just before sunrise instead if evening isn't working out. Early morning has pros and cons...the pro is that it is coldest at that time and they have been inactive all night, so they are quite sluggish. The con is that the nest won't sit all night after being sprayed, it is daytime fairly quickly, so you may have to do it again the next morning if you didn't get all of them.

It's amazing how much they've built onto it since that last picture I posted. I just am so afraid that I hit the nest..but they don't get hit right away and just swarm at me before i can get around to front of house to get inside

It's amazing how much they've built onto it since that last picture I posted. I just am so afraid that I hit the nest..but they don't get hit right away and just swarm at me before i can get around to front of house to get inside

Then maybe time to just call an exterminator. You do need to deal with it soon.

1 minute ago, w1pf said:

I've usually had better luck in the early morning, though it isn't all that cool these days.. Try to hit the exit hole and just keep spraying in.. that will kill the ones that fly out, and hopefully saturate the inside of the nest fairly well.. then saturate the outside..

Yep, what he said. You should be pretty good in early morning....they will be quite sluggish and they probably won't even go after you when they come out...they will probably fly out disoriented if they do at all. Just smoke the opening though. Use two cans, one in each hand and just blast it.

Did you find a spray that reaches it? It sound like you might have...you want to get a good stream right into the entrance and that will crush them.

5 minutes ago, w1pf said:

Then maybe time to just call an exterminator. You do need to deal with it soon.

Yeah if they couldn't get inside, it wouldn't be that urgent. Just wait until a cold October morning and hammer it from up close....but the fact they can get inside makes it dangerous. Esp in another 2-3 weeks when it's even bigger...they grow almost exponentially at this point now because of how many workers there are. You don't want a situation where they are almost enveloping the AC unit...and the larger the nest gets, the easier it will be to agitate it with a simple bump of the AC unit from the inside.

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep, what he said. You should be pretty good in early morning....they will be quite sluggish and they probably won't even go after you when they come out...they will probably fly out disoriented if they do at all. Just smoke the opening though. Use two cans, one in each hand and just blast it.

Did you find a spray that reaches it? It sound like you might have...you want to get a good stream right into the entrance and that will crush them.

It only reaches it when the wind isn't blowing. And barely. So it's not all hitting it. I think they have 2 openings. See that pic from today. Is that what you would call an opening?. That's unreachable if so..because it faces the window

20 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The pass is at 2,855', so there's lots of that road above 2,000, especially on the (slightly) gentler east side.  When my parents lived in Woodsville, NH, our westward route (from Gardiner, at the time) took the Kanc and then Kinsman Notch - not nearly as high but the west side curves and gradients are as challenging as anyplace on the Kanc.  We'd go home thru HIE, Bethel, and the Sumner Woods.

For DIT:  farthest I've been chased by whiteface hornets is 40-50 feet and I've never been stung by them when more than 25' from the nest.  Yellowjackets - been chased and stung at way more than 100 yards.

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The pass is at 2,855', so there's lots of that road above 2,000, especially on the (slightly) gentler east side.  When my parents lived in Woodsville, NH, our westward route (from Gardiner, at the time) took the Kanc and then Kinsman Notch - not nearly as high but the west side curves and gradients are as challenging as anyplace on the Kanc.  We'd go home thru HIE, Bethel, and the Sumner Woods.

For DIT:  farthest I've been chased by whiteface hornets is 40-50 feet and I've never been stung by them when more than 25' from the nest.  Yellowjackets - been chased and stung at way more than 100 yards.

Yeah white faced hornets are really nasty when pretty close to the nest...but they won't chase you as far as yellow jackets, and they also won't sting you as easily unprovoked as yellow jackets. Yellow jackets seem to sting just for the hell of it, but WFH won't. Usually only if you disturb their nest or accidently step on one (which I did as a teenage...incredibly painful and it bothered me walking for a day or so).

Yellow jackets are definitely a more dangerous insect but the white faced hornets probably have the most painful sting of any of them.

Archived