joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/22-1/24 Cold Temperatures

weatherMA

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am officially calling myself a disgrace to this weather community.

Why???

My cheap-ass digital thermometer stops at zero degrees with a small negative symbol ("-") in the top left corner. I know it was colder than zero by about 8-10 degrees.

[Cold Miser hangs head in shame as he walks out of the room]

:cry:

LOL I bought two outside digitals for addition to the weather station at Radio Shack, one I have had for ten years is as accurate as the new weather station one. They are cheap, break down spend some of the millions.

Coldest reports on the local radio station were -34 in Wheelock VT and -42f in Barton VT. the Barton report was supposedly on WCAX. I have no links.

I saw this on WCAX this morning. As I mentioned in the NNE thread, my co-worker saw -35° on her car thermometer this mornig about 10 miles north of Montpelier.

I saw this on WCAX this morning. As I mentioned in the NNE thread, my co-worker saw -35° on her car thermometer this mornig about 10 miles north of Montpelier.

Yeah, plenty of reports of -30F to -35F coming in from near the river (West Branch of the Little River) in Stowe. Co-worker who lives near the Stowe Country Club golf course on Cape Cod Rd had -32F and I'd believe that one... the golf course sits in a large, flat, open area that's one of the lowest elevations in town at 725-750ft I think. That's a perfect radiational cooling spot as its somewhat elevated at over 700ft, but surrounded by much higher terrain.

Well... the decision was made after we were unable to fire up the lifts, Berkshire East is closed today due to extreme temps. Damn.....

Aww c'mon, it can't be *that* cold, down there lol ;)

FourRunner Quad has been open since 8am and in the first 45 minutes of operations the lifties say there have been 5 non-staff members on the lift, and only 3 of those returned for a second run haha.

We have warmed up to -11 here in St. J. With the sun it isn't that bad out.

Here is a little tidbit from the Eye on the sky site to compare today to.

http://www.eotsweb.org/forecasts.php

On this date in 1857, following a day where temperatures did not rise above –16 in Burlington and –23 in Craftsbury, readings reached their lowest figures of the 19th century. Lancaster, NH reported 55 below zero, while nearby North Stratford, NH was minus 54. In Vermont newspapers carried reports of 50 below zero in Montpelier, and 44 below in Norwich. Other extremes may have been missed because many thermometers were mercury, which freezes at 40 below zero.

This is the coldest morning for Amherst, Belchertown and the west quabbin region in many years. The mesonet shows the lowest mins in sne from -22 EEN, -22 ORE, to -20 CEF, with this area along that line. The low refractivity has noticibly changed the ground clutter signature in the radar data.

Quabbin is an arctic beauty right now, 6-8 inches of snow on top of black. Tons of open wooded hills with feet of snow.

I wonder if they'll they'll allow skiers? It would be Tahoe-esque with a little less vertical.

Aww c'mon, it can't be *that* cold, down there lol ;)

FourRunner Quad has been open since 8am and in the first 45 minutes of operations the lifties say there have been 5 non-staff members on the lift, and only 3 of those returned for a second run haha.

I went to Wildcat one morning when it was -11F at the base and -20F at the summit with about a 15-20 mph wind. I arrived at 9 and had the mountain to myself till after noontime. Of course I was making one run, hitting the lodge for coffee/tea/hot chocolate, make another run - stand in front of the fire... etc.

Archived