joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 11-12 Snowstorm Disco

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM verbatim is like 25-30" of snow in Metro Bos depending on ratios (and r/s line).

I'm going to go 10-15" in NW Mass and increasing to nearly double that in the lollie areas.

Has the GC floor about 4" higher than I started with it yesterday morning. Pretty righteous little event if that playsout.

Is the wind criteria any less if you are seeing insane rates? I mean verbatim I dont think we make the wind criteria but I think there is going to be a band of 2-4"/hr rates that sits on some spots for 6 hours. That would be blizzard conditions even though the winds are a little below criteria.

I bet we see some 3-5''/HR rates...perhaps up towards 6''.

That'd be the GFS that's gradually been slipping this east right? Doesn't the map you posted pretty much show the exact same position as every model?

The map I showed was more tucked in than the operational GFS...which is the furthest east of guidance. The American WRF uses the GFS for boundary conditions ie synoptic stuff...which means the main reason the NAM is so tucked in is because of the mesoscale act of transferring energy to the coast..not because it's modeling of synoptic features is lackluster.

thus...the operational GFS is too far east.

The amount of QG forcing we're going to see with massive divergence with the jet streak on the east side of that closed low is going to be nuts. We're going to absolutely rip. People who get some extra forcing thanks to either a CF in NE Mass or a mid level deformation zone are going to go absolutely nuts tomorrow.

:thumbsup:

How will they be tumbled? I think everyone here is in agreement that 6-12/8-16 is going to fall. There will likely be a 10-20" stripe as well, the question is near Bob, or near Hartford?

Tell the people in Northern Jersey the NAM has been most consisent after the 18z. Their snowstorm totals just took a hit as the NAM failed to materialize the black hole off the coast for another few hours. It'll keep doing this I think for a bit until it agrees with the others....

But either way, kind of aggressive/angry on your part.

I'm the last one to ever follow the Euro and it rains on me. So it's not like I'm advocating an IMBY.

I think I am going to see a tremendous front end dump, followed by a dryslot, that some wrap-around. 18z NAM looks good to me. 15-20" verbatim, I think?

Is the wind criteria any less if you are seeing insane rates? I mean verbatim I dont think we make the wind criteria but I think there is going to be a band of 2-4"/hr rates that sits on some spots for 6 hours. That would be blizzard conditions even though the winds are a little below criteria.

you still need to make the wind requirement for a blizzard. I've seen 100 ft visibility in lake-effect with no wind...5"/hr. stuff...doesn't count as a blizzard though.

Right now Burlington has White River, VT more snow forecast than Derry, NH or Portland, ME for Gray, does that seem strange to you?

Not worried, They are conservative and typically late to the party, There is nothing that suggest to me unless this falls flat on its face over the next 6-12hrs that would make me think they don't update and increase totals..........

Archived