joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 11-12 Snowstorm Disco

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just need it to close off and rip -U winds and there will be a band of max snowfall west of where qpf max is depicted. sooner the better

The NAM seems to hint that areas like BDL and up through the Berks may be near the pviot point for a time. They really could clean up, despite whatever qpf says.

I was kind of wondering that about the Euro and GFS...don't they have a tendency to underestimate the impact of banding towards the western side of the QPF max? I feel like we saw that with the Dec 26th event in NY/NJ....and same thing maybe Dec 19 2009.

Exactly. I want that H7 low over like MTP or something for central CT.

NAM has been the most consistent throughout the evolution of this storm (18z runs aside). As Tip has said a number of times, it is the better equipped model for these situations. The GFS/Euro huggers will be humbled when this is all over

Here's the 18 hour forecast at 12z vs the 12h forecast at 18z.

It's delaying the bending of isobars yet again. And it's slowly moving towards other guidance aloft. Don't really care what it shows yet at the surface...if this is at all like last time we'll see some gentle ticks east...but as Mek and Wll etc have all said we have to watch for meso effects later tonight.

Again though not a difference between a hit or miss, just NAM/RGEM/Meso Gang and the mean.

The Nam is not further west, I blew it up 200 times on my computer and copared and contrasted the 12Z. The real difference is it is south and east of Block Island then almost heads north-northeast across the Nantucket and eastern Chatum area into the GOM.

?

The point is...even the the American WRF used GFS boundary conditions (every 6 hours most likely) it was more tucked in than the operational GFS...which gives credence to the more tucked in mesoscale solutions.

That'd be the GFS that's gradually been slipping this east right? Doesn't the map you posted pretty much show the exact same position as every model?

The NAM seems to hint that areas like BDL and up through the Berks may be near the pviot point for a time. They really could clean up, despite whatever qpf says.

The amount of QG forcing we're going to see with massive divergence with the jet streak on the east side of that closed low is going to be nuts. We're going to absolutely rip. People who get some extra forcing thanks to either a CF in NE Mass or a mid level deformation zone are going to go absolutely nuts tomorrow.

Here's the 18 hour forecast at 12z vs the 12h forecast at 18z.

It's delaying the bending of isobars yet again. And it's slowly moving towards other guidance aloft. Don't really care what it shows yet at the surface...if this is at all like last time we'll see some gentle ticks east...but as Mek and Wll etc have all said we have to watch for meso effects later tonight.

Again though not a difference between a hit or miss, just NAM/RGEM/Meso Gang and the mean.

You are what is commonly referred to as a rabble rouser ;)

NAM has been the most consistent throughout the evolution of this storm (18z runs aside). As Tip has said a number of times, it is the better equipped model for these situations. The GFS/Euro huggers will be humbled when this is all over

How will they be tumbled? I think everyone here is in agreement that 6-12/8-16 is going to fall. There will likely be a 10-20" stripe as well, the question is near Bob, or near Hartford?

Tell the people in Northern Jersey the NAM has been most consisent after the 18z. Their snowstorm totals just took a hit as the NAM failed to materialize the black hole off the coast for another few hours. It'll keep doing this I think for a bit until it agrees with the others....

But either way, kind of aggressive/angry on your part.

I'm the last one to ever follow the Euro and it rains on me. So it's not like I'm advocating an IMBY.

Is the wind criteria any less if you are seeing insane rates? I mean verbatim I dont think we make the wind criteria but I think there is going to be a band of 2-4"/hr rates that sits on some spots for 6 hours. That would be blizzard conditions even though the winds are a little below criteria. There has to be some way to warn the public about conditions like that in advance other than a short term statement.

Archived