Newest Member
    amirah5
January 11-12 Storm Obs/Discussion

clskinsfan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3.5" is a great total.

you are right... in a normal winter I would jump at 3.5" but when its nearing the midway point and I am sitting with 1" and average 38 it just feels like I am going to need way more then nickel and dime stuff or this is going to go down as an epic fail up here. Remember for DC and Baltimore one 10" storm at some point gets them pretty close to normal. Up here we need several snows to get a normal winter so the snow drought in this area is even more dire with relation to normal.

Big flakes here in wheaton. Last gasp I guess. closing in on 2 inches. I think this snowfall, even though it's not even a SECS storm here, was so clutch for our psyche. To have been shut out again while our division rivals up north and the deep south cashed in would have been tough to swallow. This doesn't exactly reverse the seasonal trend, but at least we know we can get something in a less than perfect pattern in a Nina. Gorgeous, peaceful outside.

you are right... in a normal winter I would jump at 3.5" but when its nearing the midway point and I am sitting with 1" and average 38 it just feels like I am going to need way more then nickel and dime stuff or this is going to go down as an epic fail up here. Remember for DC and Baltimore one 10" storm at some point gets them pretty close to normal. Up here we need several snows to get a normal winter so the snow drought in this area is even more dire with relation to normal.

Go to bed.

You are right in that you are feeling the pain of the central PA snow drought more than many of us closer to I-95, but I think getting 3" in a winter that has delivered nearly nothing but dustings is thrilling.

First of all, you probably won't see average this year with the state of the Tropical and North Pacific. We knew that going in. Best case was 60-80% of seasonal normal.

Secondly, we have two months of winter left. Analogs for moderate Ninas are pretty strong for late-season/ March snow.

So enjoy an appreciable mid-January snowfall, and Keep the Faith !:drunk:

I certainly felt it was going to be a complete bust

otoh, BWI should be close to 2"-2.5" I bet so that's not bad considering I changed my forecast of 3-6" to trace-2" 2 days ago (JB didn;t pull his 3-6" for us until 6PM tonight) :arrowhead:

JB knew 3-6 wasnt going to verify 2 days ago and you could tell from the clues he always leaves in his blog. He just never backs off until the last minute because on the off chance of some miracle he never wants to have to flip flop. He must be a republican, so scared to be labeled a "flip flopper" that he would rather go down with a sinking ship then change when something isnt working.

You are right in that you are feeling the pain of the central PA snow drought more than many of us closer to I-95, but I think getting 3" in a winter that has delivered nearly nothing but dustings is thrilling.

:lol:

He has cashed in with as much if not more snow than the rest of us in the last several good winters. At 3.5 inches, he will have one of the better totals in the area. He could have 350 inches and he'd whine and moan about it.

Archived