• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 11-12 Storm Obs/Discussion

clskinsfan

Unfortunately the Davis 3SE coop did not give a 1pm update on snowfall. Anxious to see how much he recorded as it has been coming down hard here all day!

Just back into this forum from the recently departed... anyway good to see you guys have a good season.

Have good snow lover friends in NV who have never been to Canaan Valley! and are looking for get away property ... Anyway encouraging them to look for property in Canaan Heights .... Any thoughts? Recommendations?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i wouldnt say it's any better but it's newer at least .. ct blizz got 25 apparently which is unfortunate

It's interesting reading their thread and how so many have never experienced 20+" before...kind of stunning actually considering my house had two last year alone. So we are feast or famine on the big ones vs. generally higher winter totals but not necessarily the big bombs.

It's interesting reading their thread and how so many have never experienced 20+" before...kind of stunning actually considering my house had two last year alone. So we are feast or famine on the big ones vs. generally higher winter totals but not necessarily the big bombs.

outside elevation in the nw 20"+ isnt terribly common i wouldnt think.. they tend to cash in on a few 12"+ storms a yr. i saw one 24"+ storm but was at about the highest elevation in the state where people live at least. i missed one other while at school south of ct blizz.

outside elevation in the nw 20"+ isnt terribly common i wouldnt think.. they tend to cash in on a few 12"+ storms a yr. i saw one 24"+ storm but was at about the highest elevation in the state where people live at least. i missed one other while at school south of ct blizz.

Winters like this make me want to move....I won't....but it stinks sometimes. At least we have some tremendous memories from the not so long ago past....better than trying to remember 96 or 03 at least

Winters like this make me want to move....I won't....but it stinks sometimes. At least we have some tremendous memories from the not so long ago past....better than trying to remember 96 or 03 at least

this was definitely a day i was imagining being back in ct for... i have those a few times a yr at various locations i've spent considerable time in. not very productive.. i actually read all their posts today. though hooralph's comment to me about never seeing last yr again was kind of tasteless. i mean everyone and their grandmother knew this flip -- or return to normalcy -- was only a season away even while it was ongoing in february.

this was definitely a day i was imagining being back in ct for... i have those a few times a yr at various locations i've spent considerable time in. not very productive.. i actually read all their posts today. though hooralph's comment to me about never seeing last yr again was kind of tasteless. i mean everyone and their grandmother knew this flip -- or return to normalcy -- was only a season away even while it was ongoing in february.

It seems odd to me that anyone would say that....who would have thought that we would have ever seen a winter like last year before it happened? I am not a believer in saying something will never happen again if it has happened before. I mean should we say that Hartford will never see 23" of snow again because today was the most snow they have ever seen....crazy talk.

Just back into this forum from the recently departed... anyway good to see you guys have a good season.

Have good snow lover friends in NV who have never been to Canaan Valley! and are looking for get away property ... Anyway encouraging them to look for property in Canaan Heights .... Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Depends on what they are looking for. The lots up at Canaan Heights are pretty expensive, as are any in Canaan Valley; whereas just a couple miles away lots at Tuscan Ridge just outside of Davis are very reasonalbe, when they become available.

My wife, the boss of the B&B, is also a realtor a Davis High Valley Realty -- if they, or any one else for that matter, is interested in some property up here in snow country, you can give her a call on the B&B phone anytime.

It seems odd to me that anyone would say that....who would have thought that we would have ever seen a winter like last year before it happened? I am not a believer in saying something will never happen again if it has happened before. I mean should we say that Hartford will never see 23" of snow again because today was the most snow they have ever seen....crazy talk.

i would not be surprised if it was many decades + before it's threatened again, but at the same time i would not be shocked if we got back there relatively soon. having three big winters in such close proximity might be luck but it proves it's possible to get up there. both 95/96 and 02/03 were like a feb 9-10 away from being in the same general vicinity. the historical record is too short to say this was a once in 100 yr occurrence imo and there is a clear tendency of late -- if it continues or not is unknown -- for more large storms even if the "avg" storm might be suckier than in the past.

Not sure why you bother. People like hooralph are smug jerks. I never read that forum.

I have a hot line on some cheap property south of Deep Creek in Garrett County next to us. PM me.

Go west into the mountains. You can get an average around 120" with way more snow days than any spot in CT plus fewer assholes per square mile.

Depends on what they are looking for. The lots up at Canaan Heights are pretty expensive, as are any in Canaan Valley; whereas just a couple miles away lots at Tuscan Ridge just outside of Davis are very reasonalbe, when they become available.

My wife, the boss of the B&B, is also a realtor a Davis High Valley Realty -- if they, or any one else for that matter, is interested in some property up here in snow country, you can give her a call on the B&B phone anytime.

Thanks, I will certainly make a note and have them contact her.

the new england forum is calling this snowmageddon :angry:

That was my GF Megan just using that in the thread title (didn't realize that it would be taken so personally)...I don't think a single SNE poster has referred to this storm as "snowmageddon" during the post-mortem talk. It certainly wasn't the long duration storm that you guys saw last Feb 5-6 last year. It was a 15 hour storm (for any meaningful snow). It was a very fast moving storm for a HECS.

I know most don't care, but for those that do here was the post mortem writeup I did on how it became a HECS despite the fairly fast flow.

http://www.americanw...rn-into-a-hecs/

Go west into the mountains. You can get an average around 120" with way more snow days than any spot in CT plus fewer eekholes per square mile.

Agree with that. Even further west out of the big mountains I've had 30 days this season to date with snow falling even though it didn't amount to much, and without the inconvenience of disrupting transportation. Just get on the upslope side somewhere.

2.1" new snow since 7 AM yesterday, 4" on ground.

Agree with that. Even further west out of the big mountains I've had 30 days this season to date with snow falling even though it didn't amount to much, and without the inconvenience of disrupting transportation. Just get on the upslope side somewhere.

2.1" new snow since 7 AM yesterday, 4" on ground.

I need to visit my sister more....although I don't think 15" to date at her house is all that. I do need to go see her though.

I'd hate to bring up the Snowmaggedon/Snowpocalypse BS again, but someone from the BBC must be reading the forums:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...he_snowpoc.html

The recent so-called "snowpocalypse" laid the north-east corner of America low and threw the festive travel plans of thousands of people into chaos because planes, trains and automobiles really couldn't go anywhere.

Not the main point of the article, but their must be some snow weenies across the pond.

Archived