e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 4

Cheeznado

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 hours? I would hope so. If you talk to Van Denton and Austin Caviness they both are real good however both will tell you they can't say much on the air in case it don't happen. I have met both and email Van all the time and he always expects more but won't say nothing on TV.

I've seen Fish go against conventional wisdom and the models many times in the short range and is almost always correct. Several times it had to do with precip duration where the models predicted a longer period of precip and he said nope, it shuts off by .........

Really like Van, Austin, and Matthew. It quickly ends there.

TW

I think (scratch, I know) I've been model hugging the RGEM, but it's now shown 7 straight runs of all snow from GSP to CLT. 00z RGEM loop is showing snow beginning in CLT around 3AM (which looks about right), with good snow still flying til 8PM tomorrow night.

RGEM Loop

And again it keeps that ice line right near CLT and has all areas N, NW, and W of the city all snow.

Anderson should be seeing heavy snow within the hour, GSP area by 1:30 and it looks like the band will be here by 3:00 or so.

QC, yep that is my thinking too, if it is to you around 3am it should be hitting me around 3:30 so I'm going to get a little sleep so I can completely enjoy all my omega enhanced snow tomorrow :guitar:

I've seen Fish go against conventional wisdom and the models many times in the short range and is almost always correct. Several times it had to do with precip duration where the models predicted a longer period of precip and he said nope, it shuts off by .........

TW

I agree. I will have to say after this storm and Christmas, Robert may be the best met around. Not because he is on here but he has been dead on since I joined three years ago. He needs some limelight somewhere but we won't him to stay on here for us to. Hopefully this storm will hold true to what he has said.

Off to bed, looks to be busy in the trucks for the next day or two.

Virga is coming into NC rapidly. you can see the dark blue that dumped on Atlanta rapidly advancing NE. Should be to Burger and Robert by 1-2:00 a.m if not sooner,. There are better radars than this, I think people in NC are gonna be suprised how fast this begins to unfold. Models / NWS are way late with onset projections IMO

http://www.accuweath...r.asp?play=true

It still has to battle that dry air. It will be like hitting wall.

Looking at the big radar, we're going to be in this all night. I was thinking Ken Cook was crazy thinking 8 inches maybe, not so sure now. We're over 4", the dry slot filled in so plenty more on the way. I'm at 24.8 so plenty cold.

This is unbelievable.....if we can just hold out til morning on the sleet, and those band in eastern Alabama hold together, Monday morning will be a sight to behold.

TW

Well since this thread has gone to crap I'll talk too...People tend to dislike Fish because he's on the conservative side, but most forget he LOVES SNOW...if he could wishcast he would. His Awards & Recognition say it all:

1985 American Meteorological Society award for broadcast excellence for reporting a March 1984 tornado; American Meteorological Society Seal of Approval for television and radio; member of broadcast board of the American Meteorological Society; chairperson of AMS Broadcast Board Committee to develop 100-question exam for new Certified Broadcast Meteorologist Program; member of Advisory Commissions for North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences and the state Climate Office of North Carolina; first certified broadcast meteorologist in the United States; recipient of Emmy from Midsouth Region of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences for hurricane special in 2000; one of six recipients of Special Award from American Meteorological Society in 2006

You may not like what he says, but Fish is the best. He can be wrong though. His specialty is inside 8 hours.

TW

Well, I'll agree to disagree with you all you guys. I've lived in Raleigh all my life before moving to Charlotte this year. My friends/family and I always used to joke that we could flip a coin and be right more often than The Fish, in terms of winter weather. In fact, since I've been following the forums/learning more about storms from everybody on here, I dare say that even a joker like me has been right more times than The Fish. I know for a fact that Alan has been FAR more accurate than The Fish over the past few winters. Maybe his forecast will verify this time and I'll gladly eat crow, but I hope to be laughing at him once again tomorrow night. Obviously, I know his job is a very tough one, and his predictions can only be but so bold on TV. At least he openly admits he's a fellow snow lover!

Back to this storm, it seems as if the intensity and expansiveness of the precip shield has been significantly underdone by the models IMO. Was anyone actually talking about rates of 2"+ an hour with this storm? Certainly not this early in N GA....

It still has to battle that dry air. It will be like hitting wall.

NEGA poster DP was 10, lower than ours just a moment ago and when those 20 dbz got over him it started pouring. They will be in Charlotte by 3;00 and up this way SW Randolph by 7:00ish at the latest as long as everything holds together. We'll see, Im moore certain in my 3-6, than exact start time. But something will have to change in order to prevent this looking at recent radar trends/obs.

NEGA poster DP was 10, lower than ours just a moment ago and when those 20 dbz got over him it started pouring. They will be in Charlotte by 3;00 and up this way SW Randolph by 7:00ish at the latest as long as everything holds together. We'll see, Im moore certain in my 3-6, than exact start time. But something will have to change in order to prevent this looking at recent radar trends/obs.

Agree. I think the dry air issue may be overplayed. I've seen it make a difference in the past, but usually during the day when temps were able to warm just a bit allowing rh and dp to come down. I think the fact that by morning our rh will be up with precip knowing on the door will help us overcome the dry air issue a bit quicker, leading to better accumulations than forecast (generally 1-2" forecast now). I think 3-5 has just as good of a chance in the triad.

TW

Keep in mind while the air here will be as dry the low will be weakening and throwing less moisture this far north. That will slow the northward progress of the precip and delay the start time IMO. It will also have an effect on totals as the upper atmosphere loses the dynamics later in the day.

God I'm starting to sound like Widre. :axe:

Well I had 20dbz over me for nearly 2 hours and didn't get a flake. It took 25 dbz to do it. You have to keep in mind he's up almost around 2000 feet too so lower elevations are going to take longer.

This dry air was agrivating as hell here for a while. Was starting to think the radar was on drugs it took so long.

Here's hky's sounding from the ruc. Deep layer of dry air. It will come though if this band holds together.

Date: Analysis for 0300Z 10 JAN 11
Station: KHKY
Latitude:   35.73
Longitude: -81.38
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LEV PRES  HGHT  TEMP  DEWP  RH  DD   WETB DIR SPD THETA THE-V THE-W THE-E   W
    mb     m     C     C    %   C     C  deg knt   K     K     K     K    g/kg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 0 1000   230                                                                 
SFC  989   315  -2.7 -11.6  50  9.0  -5.3 344   2 271.3 271.6 268.5 275.7  1.58
 2  950   636  -4.7 -15.9  41 11.2  -7.6  18  14 272.4 272.6 268.5 275.7  1.16
 3  900  1059  -7.0 -19.7  36 12.7  -9.9  43  14 274.2 274.4 269.2 276.8  0.89
 4  850  1504  -8.2 -22.9  30 14.7 -11.2  34   8 277.6 277.7 270.9 279.7  0.71
 5  800  1975  -6.4 -28.3  16 21.8 -10.7 336   6 284.3 284.4 274.4 285.8  0.46
 6  750  2481  -4.6 -33.9   8 29.3 -10.1 276  10 291.5 291.6 277.9 292.5  0.29
 7  700  3024  -4.9 -26.0  17 21.1  -9.9 263  17 297.1 297.2 281.0 299.2  0.66
 8  650  3604  -7.0 -21.2  31 14.3 -10.8 256  23 301.1 301.3 283.2 304.5  1.08
 9  600  4225 -10.1 -18.7  50  8.5 -12.6 256  27 304.4 304.7 285.0 309.1  1.46
10  550  4891 -14.0 -20.4  59  6.3 -15.7 256  33 307.5 307.7 286.0 312.0  1

spc was a little behind this evening..never did address the heavy 2 to 3 inch per hour snowfall rates in georgia all evening until this update

mcd0016.gif

SOSCALE DISCUSSION 0016

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1056 PM CST SUN JAN 09 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...S-CNTRL THROUGH SERN TN...NRN AL AND NRN GA THROUGH

WRN SC AND SWRN NC

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW

VALID 100456Z - 101000Z

BANDS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WITH RATES LOCALLY 1-1.5 INCHES PER

HOUR WILL CONTINUE DEVELOPING NEWD THROUGH NE AL...NRN GA...S-CNTRL

THROUGH SERN TN...SWRN NC AND WRN SC THROUGH THE EARLY MORNING. SOME

SLEET COULD MIX WITH THE SNOW ACROSS PARTS OF NRN AL AND NRN GA.

STRONG SLY 60+ KT LLJ WILL LIFT NEWD THROUGH AL AND GA INTO THE

EARLY MORNING IN ASSOCIATION WITH AN EJECTING NEGATIVELY TILTED

SHORTWAVE TROUGH CURRENTLY LOCATED OVER MS. STRONG FRONTOGENETIC

FORCING AND ISENTROPIC LIFT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS FEATURE HAS

RESULTED IN BANDS OF WIDESPREAD MODERATE TO LOCALLY HEAVY SNOW FROM

NRN MS...NRN AL AND NRN GA INTO SRN TN. STEEPER MID-LEVEL LAPSE

RATES DEVELOPING WITHIN ZONE OF STRONGER ASCENT HAVE RESULTED IN

SOME CONVECTIVE ENHANCEMENT TO THE SNOW WHERE LIGHTNING HAS RECENTLY

BEEN OBSERVED ACROSS NRN AL. RUC SOUNDINGS INDICATE PRESENCE OF A

DEEP QUASI-ISOTHERMAL LAYER WITH TEMPERATURES FROM 0 TO -5C BETWEEN

THE SURFACE AND 700 MB SUPPORTIVE OF AN EFFICIENT AGGREGATION

PROCESS. ZONE OF HEAVIER SNOW WILL EXPAND NEWD WITH

TIME...EVENTUALLY INTO SERN TN AND THE WRN CAROLINAS.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0015

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0827 PM CST SUN JAN 09 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL AL...W CNTRL GA

CONCERNING...WINTER MIXED PRECIPITATION

VALID 100227Z - 100700Z

MIXED PRECIP RATES WILL INCREASE THROUGH THE EVENING ACROSS PORTIONS

OF CNTRL AL INTO W CNTRL GA. PRECIP TYPE IS EXPECTED TO BE FZRA

PRIMARILY S OF I-20...WITH A TRANSITION TO SLEET FURTHER NORTH.

EARLY EVENING WV IMAGERY SHOWS A COMPACT UPPER LOW CENTERED NEAR THE

ARKLATEX REGION...WITH REGIONAL RADARS INDICATING A BROAD PRECIP

SHIELD AHEAD OF THE SYSTEM ACROSS THE DEEP SOUTH. PRECIP OVER

E-CNTRL AL INTO W-CNTRL GA HAS BEEN SLOW TO ACCUMULATE THUS FAR DUE

TO THE CONTINUED LOW-LEVEL ADVECTION OF COLD DRY AIR INTO THE REGION

BY HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE OHIO VALLEY. HOWEVER...CONSIDERABLE

TOP-DOWN MOISTENING WAS OBSERVED BETWEEN 09/18Z AND 10/00Z SOUNDINGS

AT BMX AND FFC. AS PRECIP CONTINUES TO FALL...FURTHER MOISTENING

WILL ALLOW RATES TO INCREASE...WITH HOURLY LIQUID EQUIVALENT AOA

0.05 IN/HR POSSIBLE BY 03Z-06Z.

THE PRECIP SHIELD IS BEING DRIVEN BY UPGLIDE OVER THE LOW LEVEL COLD

AIR DOME IN ASSOCIATION WITH A STRONG 55-60 KT LOW-LEVEL JET...AS

SAMPLED BY THE 00Z LIX SOUNDING. WHILE SOME SNOW IS POSSIBLE EARLY

THIS EVENING OVER THE MCD AREA...CONTINUED WAA IN THE 900-700 MB

LAYER SHOULD ALLOW A CHANGEOVER TO SLEET LATER THIS EVENING...WITH

FZRA BECOMING DOMINANT MAINLY SOUTH OF THE I-20 CORRIDOR LATER

TONIGHT AFTER 06Z.

A MID-LEVEL DRY SLOT /AS NOTED ON WV IMAGERY/ WILL OVERTAKE THE AREA

LATER THIS EVENING...BUT RELATIVELY STEEP LAPSE RATES /6.5-7 C/KM/

ASSOCIATED WITH THIS FEATURE COMBINED WITH CONTINUED STRONG WAA WILL

ALLOW PRECIP OF A MORE CONVECTIVE NATURE TO DEVELOP...WITH LIQUID

EQUIVALENT RATES AOA 0.10 IN/HR POSSIBLE IN HEAVIER SHOWERS.

..DEAN.. 01/10/2011

ATTN...WFO...FFC...BMX...HUN...MOB...

Seriously. Did the FFC go home for the night? Thought I'd check the latest forecast for my grid to see what I could expect to add to the six inches imby.

Overnight: Occasional snow and sleet. Low around 25. East wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Heh.... FFC has called it perfectly so far...for anyone actually IN PEACHTREE CITY. Coating of sugar and light precip here, it will be all we end up with

if it stays like this. Might end up with a half inch by the am unless some sort of band can get set up here in the next few hours. Looking at the radar

I somehow doubt it.

Heh.... FFC has called it perfectly so far...for anyone actually IN PEACHTREE CITY. Coating of sugar and light precip here, it will be all we end up with

if it stays like this. Might end up with a half inch by the am unless some sort of band can get set up here in the next few hours. Looking at the radar

I somehow doubt it.

Where are you at DP, looking at what is progged to come downstream based on radar, this is far from done for ATL... Know this may belong in the obs thread, but what are your thermals looking like atm?

post-382-0-81268300-1294638178.png

thck.gif?1294638152854

Edit: PEACHTREE CITY is still far from over in terms of winter wx :)

Archived