• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 4

Cheeznado

I don't recall ever seeing what the RUC is forecasting the last few runs. It has strengthening 850 flow, increasing from 20 to 30 to 40 and even 50 knts aimed right at northern Ga and western SC all night and through the next 14 hours or so, only waning very late. Even without an 850 low, its the same as having one, in this unique setup thanks to that western trough coming in late, stalling our comma head. But the whole time its an upslope flow, this may be what fights warm advection with the mid levels and keeps the column cold in areas along 85. The UVV's are still imressive. I'm thinking now aftter so many hours of these runs on RUC that nw SC and part of northern GA are going to go up to a foot or more of snow. The same is probably true around just south of AVL and Hendersonville to Lake Lure areas that will benefit from extra lift and keep the cold longest of all. I don't know about southern NC from CLT and Hickory regions as all models still start tapering just north of there, but obviously they've all missed the mark too. This is one storm that looks better and better as time gets near.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't recall ever seeing what the RUC is forecasting the last few runs. It has strengthening 850 flow, increasing from 20 to 30 to 40 and even 50 knts aimed right at northern Ga and western SC all night and through the next 14 hours or so, only waning very late. Even without an 850 low, its the same as having one, in this unique setup thanks to that western trough coming in late, stalling our comma head. But the whole time its an upslope flow, this may be what fights warm advection with the mid levels and keeps the column cold in areas along 85. The UVV's are still imressive. I'm thinking now aftter so many hours of these runs on RUC that nw SC and part of northern GA are going to go up to a foot or more of snow. The same is probably true around just south of AVL and Hendersonville to Lake Lure areas that will benefit from extra lift and keep the cold longest of all. I don't know about southern NC from CLT and Hickory regions as all models still start tapering just north of there, but obviously they've all missed the mark too. This is one storm that looks better and better as time gets near.

Hmm...beginning to see an increase of precipitation near the extreme western FL panhandle that appears to be aiming NE for western SC and southern NC. That looks to have implications later Monday if I'm not mistaken. Your thoughts on that Robert?

Some impressive observations from Huntsville the last three hours.

METAR KHSV 100353Z COR 09006KT 1/2SM R18R/3000V3500FT SN FZFG VV004 M03/M04 A3017 RMK AO2 SLP221 P0011 T10281039 SNINCR 1/0

METAR KHSV 100453Z 05009KT 1/4SM R18R/2000V2400FT +SN FZFG OVC002 M03/M04 A3015 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 1/2 SLP215 SNINCR 2/3 P0013 T10281039

SPECI KHSV 100545Z 07010G26KT 1/4SM R18R/1400V2200FT +TSSN FZFG OVC002CB M03/M03 A3013 RMK AO2 PK WND 06026/0541 TWR VIS 1/2 TSB44 OCNL LTGIC NE TS NE MOV NE P0020

They reported three inches between 9 and 11 PM. Currently reporting thundersnow with .20" precip as of 11:45, which means another 2-3 inches has fallen there in the last hour probably. The official METAR should be available momentarily.

I like how you are talking foothills.:snowman:

Some impressive observations from Huntsville the last three hours.

METAR KHSV 100353Z COR 09006KT 1/2SM R18R/3000V3500FT SN FZFG VV004 M03/M04 A3017 RMK AO2 SLP221 P0011 T10281039 SNINCR 1/0

METAR KHSV 100453Z 05009KT 1/4SM R18R/2000V2400FT +SN FZFG OVC002 M03/M04 A3015 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 1/2 SLP215 SNINCR 2/3 P0013 T10281039

SPECI KHSV 100545Z 07010G26KT 1/4SM R18R/1400V2200FT +TSSN FZFG OVC002CB M03/M03 A3013 RMK AO2 PK WND 06026/0541 TWR VIS 1/2 TSB44 OCNL LTGIC NE TS NE MOV NE P0020

They reported three inches between 9 and 11 PM. Currently reporting thundersnow with .20" precip as of 11:45, which means another 2-3 inches has fallen there in the last hour probably. The official METAR should be available momentarily.

Wow. 4 inches in the last hour at Huntsville. 7 inches in the last three hours. Heavy thundersnow continues.

METAR KHSV 100553Z 06010G18KT 1/2SM R18R/1600V4500FT TSSN FZFG OVC002CB M03/M03 A3012 RMK AO2 PK WND 06026/0541 TSB44 SLP206 OCNL LTGIC NE TS NE MOV NE SNINCR 4/7 4/007 P0022 60047 T10281033 10006 21028 400061083

Wow. 4 inches in the last hour at Huntsville. 7 inches in the last three hours. Heavy thundersnow continues.

METAR KHSV 100553Z 06010G18KT 1/2SM R18R/1600V4500FT TSSN FZFG OVC002CB M03/M03 A3012 RMK AO2 PK WND 06026/0541 TSB44 SLP206 OCNL LTGIC NE TS NE MOV NE SNINCR 4/7 4/007 P0022 60047 T10281033 10006 21028 400061083

Geeze... looking at the radar. They could end up with 20 inches from this.

@wxbrad

Per NWS .....HERE IS SOME PRELIMINARY THINKING BASED ON A QUICK LOOK AT THE LATEST 00Z MODEL GUIDANCE. THE MODELS AND ENSEMBLE MEANS ARE NOW SHOWING A LOT MORE QPF...WITH ABOUT AN INCH LIQUID EQUIVALENT THROUGH TONIGHT IN THE SRN TIER MTNS. PRECIP ACCUMS WILL LIKELY NEED TO BE ADJUSTED UP A BIT WITH THE PACKAGE LATER THIS MORNING. THE MODELS APPEARED TO INITIALIZE THE POTENT VORT LOBE WITH THE SRN STREAM WAVE OVER LA QUITE WELL EARLY THIS MORNING...AND THE FIRST WAVE OF HEAVIER PRECIPITATION ASSOC WITH A BAND OF FRONTOGENETICAL FORCING IS NOW MOVING NWD INTO THE SRN TIER OF THE FORECAST AREA. UPPER LEVEL DIVERGENCE WILL MAXIMIZE CIRCA 12Z BEFORE MOVING E OF THE AREA TODAY. DEEP LAYER Q VECTOR CONVERGENCE WILL ALSO BE MOST COHERENT THROUGH ABOUT 12Z THIS MORNING...WITH DEEPER QG FORCING THEN STEADILY SHUTTING OFF THROUGH 00Z THIS EVENING. OMEGA WILL THEN TRANSITION TO LOWER LEVELS THROUGH THE DAY AS WARM ADVECTION AND UPSLOPE FORCING INCREASE THROUGH THE EVENING. STILL EXPECT THE STRONG MID LEVEL DRY SLOT TO WORK INTO THE AREA FROM THE S AFTER 21Z THIS EVENING...AND STEADILY MOVE NORTH ACROSS THE REST OF THE AREA THROUGH THE EARLY MORNING HOURS TUE. FURTHER DETAILS ON ACCUM CHANGES WILL BE POSTED WITH THE REGULAR AFD A BIT LATER.

part of the reason for the thundersnow is the 5H vort held together so much longer than any model predicted. Its now in central Mississippi, and its weakening finally . Still may have enough umph, combined with the low level jet, to get a few more thundersnows under its path across n. GA and the western Carolinas...depends on how quickly it dies out.

post-38-0-86248200-1294642386.gif

part of the reason for the thundersnow is the 5H vort held together so much longer than any model predicted. Its now in central Mississippi, and its weakening finally . Still may have enough umph, combined with the low level jet, to get a few more thundersnows under its path across n. GA and the western Carolinas...depends on how quickly it dies out.

Pretty amazing stuff going on right now. I had actually wondered about parts of the SE seeing thundersnow so neat to see it going on. Would love for it to make it this way but not holding my breath. Looking at the radar it looks like the snow comes in at the perfect time for us to see some heavy stuff during the mid morning hours! Love it!

post-38-0-86248200-1294642386.gif

Still waiting for some snow to fall bro. Very light flurries attm. Hoping we get some heavy snow. I am wanting to have at least a coating on the ground before 7am, so I do not have to go to the office. Fingers crossed. It does look like it will be starting anytime now...:weight_lift:

Still waiting for some snow to fall bro. Very light flurries attm. Hoping we get some heavy snow. I am wanting to have at least a coating on the ground before 7am, so I do not have to go to the office. Fingers crossed. It does look like it will be starting anytime now...:weight_lift:

once it starts you'll find more than a "coating" I think :thumbsup: Atleast you have flurries. Still nothing here and I was thinking 2 am for here.:arrowhead:

:thumbsup:Here is a quick note from GSP:.

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --HERE IS SOME PRELIMINARY THINKING BASED ON A QUICK LOOK AT THE

LATEST 00Z MODEL GUIDANCE. THE MODELS AND ENSEMBLE MEANS ARE NOW

SHOWING A LOT MORE QPF...WITH ABOUT AN INCH LIQUID EQUIVALENT

THROUGH TONIGHT IN THE SRN TIER MTNS. PRECIP ACCUMS WILL LIKELY NEED

TO BE ADJUSTED UP A BIT WITH THE PACKAGE LATER THIS MORNING. THE

MODELS APPEARED TO INITIALIZE THE POTENT VORT LOBE WITH THE SRN

STREAM WAVE OVER LA QUITE WELL EARLY THIS MORNING...AND THE FIRST

WAVE OF HEAVIER PRECIPITATION ASSOC WITH A BAND OF FRONTOGENETICAL

FORCING IS NOW MOVING NWD INTO THE SRN TIER OF THE FORECAST AREA.

UPPER LEVEL DIVERGENCE WILL MAXIMIZE CIRCA 12Z BEFORE MOVING E OF

THE AREA TODAY. DEEP LAYER Q VECTOR CONVERGENCE WILL ALSO BE MOST

COHERENT THROUGH ABOUT 12Z THIS MORNING...WITH DEEPER QG FORCING

THEN STEADILY SHUTTING OFF THROUGH 00Z THIS EVENING. OMEGA WILL THEN

TRANSITION TO LOWER LEVELS THROUGH THE DAY AS WARM ADVECTION AND

UPSLOPE FORCING INCREASE THROUGH THE EVENING. STILL EXPECT THE

STRONG MID LEVEL DRY SLOT TO WORK INTO THE AREA FROM THE S AFTER 21Z

THIS EVENING...AND STEADILY MOVE NORTH ACROSS THE REST OF THE AREA

THROUGH THE EARLY MORNING HOURS TUE. FURTHER DETAILS ON ACCUM

CHANGES WILL BE POSTED WITH THE REGULAR AFD A BIT LATER. -- End Changed Discussion --

:thumbsup:

once it starts you'll find more than a "coating" I think :thumbsup: Atleast you have flurries. Still nothing here and I was thinking 2 am for here.:arrowhead:

Dude...the Devil has me trapped in his triangle (an ode to Burger-LMAO..J/K). Flurries cannot cut it this go round. On another note, GSP put out a snippet saying they are going to up the totals. Again...great call. Seriously though...I hope the dryair in our area does not play into our totals. I know thats greedy, but we need a break and the barriers broken brother! :snowman:

Robert you should work for them you told us this what 3 days ago this would happen!!!

:thumbsup:Here is a quick note from GSP:.

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --HERE IS SOME PRELIMINARY THINKING BASED ON A QUICK LOOK AT THE

LATEST 00Z MODEL GUIDANCE. THE MODELS AND ENSEMBLE MEANS ARE NOW

SHOWING A LOT MORE QPF...WITH ABOUT AN INCH LIQUID EQUIVALENT

THROUGH TONIGHT IN THE SRN TIER MTNS. PRECIP ACCUMS WILL LIKELY NEED

TO BE ADJUSTED UP A BIT WITH THE PACKAGE LATER THIS MORNING. THE

MODELS APPEARED TO INITIALIZE THE POTENT VORT LOBE WITH THE SRN

STREAM WAVE OVER LA QUITE WELL EARLY THIS MORNING...AND THE FIRST

WAVE OF HEAVIER PRECIPITATION ASSOC WITH A BAND OF FRONTOGENETICAL

FORCING IS NOW MOVING NWD INTO THE SRN TIER OF THE FORECAST AREA.

UPPER LEVEL DIVERGENCE WILL MAXIMIZE CIRCA 12Z BEFORE MOVING E OF

THE AREA TODAY. DEEP LAYER Q VECTOR CONVERGENCE WILL ALSO BE MOST

COHERENT THROUGH ABOUT 12Z THIS MORNING...WITH DEEPER QG FORCING

THEN STEADILY SHUTTING OFF THROUGH 00Z THIS EVENING. OMEGA WILL THEN

TRANSITION TO LOWER LEVELS THROUGH THE DAY AS WARM ADVECTION AND

UPSLOPE FORCING INCREASE THROUGH THE EVENING. STILL EXPECT THE

STRONG MID LEVEL DRY SLOT TO WORK INTO THE AREA FROM THE S AFTER 21Z

THIS EVENING...AND STEADILY MOVE NORTH ACROSS THE REST OF THE AREA

THROUGH THE EARLY MORNING HOURS TUE. FURTHER DETAILS ON ACCUM

CHANGES WILL BE POSTED WITH THE REGULAR AFD A BIT LATER. -- End Changed Discussion --

:thumbsup:

I know this goes in obs, but it just began pouring! I have been peeking and typing, and wow at the sudden increase . BTW, RUC is awesome. I can't imagine it going til 7 pm tomorrow night here, but it shows that, with incoming divergence from Alabama, and the comma head STILL over here. Unreal if that happens, I won't bank on it though. Most events here are about 12 to 14 hours.

I know this goes in obs, but it just began pouring! I have been peeking and typing, and wow at the sudden increase . BTW, RUC is awesome. I can't imagine it going til 7 pm tomorrow night here, but it shows that, with incoming divergence from Alabama, and the comma head STILL over here. Unreal if that happens, I won't bank on it though. Most events here are about 12 to 14 hours.

Slide some of that "pouring" over towards Concord!!

Archived