• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 4

Cheeznado

the 6z nam is so much colder than the RUC at the time frame. It keeps CLT to GSP close to -3 for a while and subzero the whole event through 24 more hours.. It also upped qpf. The RUC changes upstate over around 7 pm, but I guess most of the good stuff will be over by then anyway. I get the feeling all models have been playing catch up to this storm for days now. Just makes me think that someone in western SC and southern NC will also top the 12" mark. I'm pretty sure part of Ne GA will do it. (thats my groundzero)

Excellent call on this one, Robert....I tip my hat to ya...YOU DA MAN!! I know where to get my weather now.:snowman: Awesome, awesome analysis and forecasts!!

:arrowhead:Been looking at Doppler 5000, AccuWeather and NOAA Composite Loop reflections.

Appears that the snow will most likely start when I arrive at work in RTP around 7:30 PM. LOL!! It's an hr drive there and and hr back in good weather and traffic. Gonna be fun this morning.:bike:

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the dry air punch showing up on the radar is fine?

I assume redevelopment like Burrel was taking about...

Strong, I believe that is correct. Radar returns are already redeveloping as far back as Birminham now! I believe that will happen most of the day today :thumbsup:

Weird modified discussion from RAH since verbatim 1-3" snow and 0.1" ice are not WSW criteria and is the same as what was forecast earlier under the WWA.

That's cause they're busy and this one didn't match the models just quite like they thought, especially w/ the timing. We have cloud cover now and it'll most likely start snowing in the RTP w/in 3 hrs.....that's gonna throw their predicted totals off to to the high side IMHO.

Then we have the ice forecasts.......just checked closings....Wake Co Schools are going to dismiss 2.5hrs early......they're gonna get caught w/ their pants down on this on for the schools unless they update before the buses start.

Yeah. I was just looking at that. But, I see upped totals and dry air..:)

These rates are great! 2 1/2" since just before 3am

Strong, I believe that is correct. Radar returns are already redeveloping as far back as Birminham now! I believe that will happen most of the day today :thumbsup:

We will see. I got a spike of dry air cutting the county in half West - East

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC

441 AM EST MON JAN 10 2011

NCZ073>075-083>086-101200-

STANLY-MONTGOMERY-MOORE-ANSON-RICHMOND-SCOTLAND-HOKE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ALBEMARLE...TROY...SOUTHERN PINES...

WADESBORO...ROCKINGHAM...LAURINBURG...RAEFORD

441 AM EST MON JAN 10 2011

LIGHT SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO DEVELOP NORTHWARD AND BECOME MODERATE

IN INTENSITY THROUGH SUNRISE...ACROSS THE SOUTHERN PIEDMONT AND WESTERN

SANDHILLS OF NC. A QUICK ONE INCH TO LOCALLY NEAR TWO INCHES OF

SNOW MAY COAT AREA ROADWAYS THROUGH 700 AM...PARTICULARLY FROM

AROUND WADESBORO AND ALBEMARLE TO ROCKINGHAM AND SOUTHERN PINES.

VISIBILITY IN SNOW WILL BE REDUCED AT TIMES TO AROUND ONE HALF

MILE. THE EXPECTED QUICK DETERIORATION OF ROAD CONDITIONS AND

REDUCED VISIBILITY WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY DIFFICULT...AND STRONGLY

DISCOURAGED THIS MORNING.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0017 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 0206 AM CST MON JAN 10 2011 AREAS AFFECTED...ERN AL...CNTRL GA...CNTRL SC CONCERNING...WINTER MIXED PRECIPITATION VALID 100806Z - 101400Z SIGNIFICANT WINTER PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE PHASE OVER MUCH OF THE AREA THROUGH MORNING WITH SIGNIFICANT ICING AND SLEET LIKELY. FREEZING RAIN RATES SHOULD AVERAGE 0.05 TO 0.10 IN/HR. A SURFACE LOW WILL CONTINUE EWD ACROSS THE NERN GULF OF MEXICO WITH INTENSE LOW LEVEL WARM ADVECTION PROFILES DEVELOPING INLAND ATOP A COLD AIR MASS. AT 07Z...THE SURFACE FREEZING LINE EXTENDED FROM MGM TO JUST N OF MCN AND INTO CNTRL SC. HOWEVER...THE SURFACE WET BULB ZERO LINE WAS MUCH FARTHER S SUGGESTING BOUNDARY LAYER COOLING WILL TAKE PLACE ONCE PRECIPITATION BEGINS. THEREFORE...AREAS CURRENTLY JUST S OF THE FREEZING LINE WILL LIKELY CHANGE OVER TO FREEZING RAIN...WITH AREAS ALONG AND JUST N OF THE CURRENT FREEZING LINE EXPERIENCING THE LONGEST DURATION. TO THE N...SNOW ACROSS NRN GA AND INTO CNTRL SC MAY EVENTUALLY SWITCH OVER TO SLEET AS A WARM NOSE FORMS ALOFT...WITH ACCUMULATING SLEET POSSIBLE. mcd0017.gif

Archived