The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 4

Cheeznado

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell yeah

ruc_p01_001s.gif

ruc_p01_002s.gif

I know this goes in obs, but it just began pouring! I have been peeking and typing, and wow at the sudden increase . BTW, RUC is awesome. I can't imagine it going til 7 pm tomorrow night here, but it shows that, with incoming divergence from Alabama, and the comma head STILL over here. Unreal if that happens, I won't bank on it though. Most events here are about 12 to 14 hours.

I know this goes in obs, but it just began pouring! I have been peeking and typing, and wow at the sudden increase . BTW, RUC is awesome. I can't imagine it going til 7 pm tomorrow night here, but it shows that, with incoming divergence from Alabama, and the comma head STILL over here. Unreal if that happens, I won't bank on it though. Most events here are about 12 to 14 hours.

Congrats Robert! You deserve it more than most. Really happy for you. Thanks for the hard work. GSPs near term update seems to be right on target. Just got done texting with my brother in Franklin. 4" in an hour & fifty min. Yikes.

Still nothing here in Belmont. I am having serious bad flashbacks of December 2002 (or 2000-cannot quite remember and do not want to). They had 4-8" forecasted and only had clouds. Arrgh...:gun_bandana:

not happening this time it should start any minute where your at.

Wow local EMA Director just posted this on my facebook page:

Claude Craig: Everything is at a halt. Everyone needs to stay home in the morning. Tell them so. Only the main hwys have been bladed. No residential blading. Crews can't keep up it's snowing so hard tell everyone to stay off the roads!!!! Thanks

Nearing 8.5 since only 11:15!

Look at the convective bands developing back over central Bama moving NE!!

oh yea FFC still has us at 4-6!

4" in an hour & fifty min. Yikes.

Wow! I'd like to experience that. Had 3" one hour before. The RUC has 850 sse jet aimed right at western SC, NC and NE GA for a while yet, with UVV's pretty high and -4 or -6 air, not to mention the 5H vort is holding together strongly...wondering if its ever gonna die. That comes directly overhead AVL in the next 8 hours , so should get interesting for a lot of folks around here.

Yes, I just saw that also!! GSP noted about trending totals up, however, they must have trended them down as the total map has me at 5.4 down from 6.0...

Less ip/fr maybe ?

Not sure it matters at this point but the 00z NAM is a lot colder aloft than the 18z run. It keeps me below freezing throughout the column throughout the event now!!:thumbsup:

Awesome!!

It has trending cooler then.

850 still south of us at hr 14 07ruc

Wow! I'd like to experience that. Had 3" one hour before. The RUC has 850 sse jet aimed right at western SC, NC and NE GA for a while yet, with UVV's pretty high and -4 or -6 air, not to mention the 5H vort is holding together strongly...wondering if its ever gonna die. That comes directly overhead AVL in the next 8 hours , so should get interesting for a lot of folks around here.

Area forecast discussion

National Weather Service Greenville-Spartanburg SC

307 am EST Monday Jan 10 2011

Synopsis...

a low pressure system will move from northern Florida today to the

North Carolina coast Tuesday. As the low continues to move

northeast in middle week...cold Canadian high pressure will be the

dominant weather feature across the southeast through the start of

the weekend.

&&

Near term /through tonight/...

a fairly significant upward adjustment is going to be needed in

accumulations throughout the area...and in the associated threat

language of the Winter Storm Warning. The models and ensemble means

are now showing considerably more quantitative precipitation forecast than previously...with about

an inch liquid equivalent through tonight in SW sections...and one

half to three quarter inches across northern and eastern sections of the

forecast area. This agrees well with the upstream trends of heavy

snowfall rates moving across the SW third of the area this

morning...and with negative epv regions still upstream over northern Georgia

where a few lightning strikes have been observed.

Synoptically...the models have initialized the potent vorticity lobe with

the southern stream wave over la quite well early this morning.

Frontogenetical forcing...upper jet divergence...and improving DPVA

ahead of the wave and north of the Gulf Coast surface low will likely

keep the higher snowfall rates in place across the region through at

least midday. The deeper qg forcing will likely weaken this

afternoon...with Omega transitioning to lower levels as warm

advection and upslope forcing improve. The strong middle level dry slot

is still expected to work into the area from the S starting early

this evening...and steadily move north across the rest of the area

overnight. This will allow a changeover to light freezing rain or

freezing drizzle.

The new west-southwest will feature snow accums around a foot around the NE Georgia

mountains...9 inches Asheville to gsp...6 to 8 for Charlotte metropolitan and

around 6 inches for north of the Interstate 40 corridor. About one

tenth inch of ice on tops could make power outages quite problematic

tonight...and driving nearly impossible.

I have the SINKING feeling that Belmont/CLT to points east are going to have a major fail. I know this goes in obs, but right now my temp is 30 with humidity of 36% and a DP of 6! Can someone put my weenie mind at ease? I have solid virga returns now, but nothing to show. With everything moving west to east, and Shelby starting SN about an hour and a half ago, it seems this area would already be in the action?

EDIT: Looked out the window and the flakes are a flyin!! I just read an update from GSP also. Sorry for the weenism yall. I have been screwed too many times the past couple of years around here. GAME ON!! WHOO-HOO!

You can atest to that with 3.75 on the ground!

So they waited on the 00 runs!

nice

Area forecast discussion

National Weather Service Greenville-Spartanburg SC

307 am EST Monday Jan 10 2011

The new west-southwest will feature snow accums around a foot around the NE Georgia

mountains...9 inches Asheville to gsp...6 to 8 for Charlotte metropolitan and

around 6 inches for north of the Interstate 40 corridor. About one

tenth inch of ice on tops could make power outages quite problematic

tonight...and driving nearly impossible.

I have the SINKING feeling that Belmont/CLT to points east are going to have a major fail. I know this goes in obs, but right now my temp is 30 with humidity of 36% and a DP of 6! Can someone put my weenie mind at ease? I have solid virga returns now, but nothing to show. With everything moving west to east, and Shelby starting SN about an hour and a half ago, it seems this area would already be in the action?

theres no way it fails it just takes longer to get to yall. I had a temp of 29 before this insanely heavy snow started and right now im sitting at 26-27

EDIT: Looked out the window and the flakes are a flyin!! I just read an update from GSP also. Sorry for the weenism yall. I have been screwed too many times the past couple of years around here. GAME ON!! WHOO-HOO!

Haha - I understand the worry you once had cause I have it too! I'm glad it's in Belmont -- you are about 7 miles to the west of me! I'm next! :D

Someone answer how we get an inch almost 5 hours ago and have nothing since? How is it possible to be dry slotted and nothing but virga since? And I am north of I-20 towards Edgefield in N. Aiken? Depressing to say the least.

Haha - I understand the worry you once had cause I have it too! I'm glad it's in Belmont -- you are about 7 miles to the west of me! I'm next! :D

I SERIOUSLY deserve a warning from the Mods for that weenie thoughts of fail. However, the reverse pysch worked and it is coming down heavy now! At the SAME TIME I was reading the updated AFD from GSP, it started snowing. Shew...

Archived