• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Pattern/storm inverted trough thread early Jan

Damage In Tolland

The door is open for a better solution. If it's only a few inches..well, not every storm is a foot plus. It probably won't be until 00z Thursday until we get a better idea. I thought yesterday it may take a few days, and indeed it probably will with such a complicated setup. Just remember the blow torch forecasts that people were going for. This is a bonus for all.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who cares if this storm brings advisory amounts. Take it and run. We'll have more chances.

Exactly my thoughts scott. The last storm will obviously be remembered around here for the flooding and the wind. Like I said we got maybe 5-6 inches of slop when the dust settled, so nothing great in regard to the snow aspect. But yeah I would take 3-6 or somthing like that and run with this event. In my mind its all about nickle and diming your way to a good winter, if you get a snowy monster or two then great sit back and enjoy. I mean I thought winter was suppose to end shortly after christmas LOL. Anyway looks like we will have some cold and some chances at snow in the coming weeks.

The door is open for a better solution. If it's only a few inches..well, not every storm is a foot plus. It probably won't be until 00z Thursday until we get a better idea. I thought yesterday it may take a few days, and indeed it probably will with such a complicated setup. Just remember the blow torch forecasts that people were going for. This is a bonus for all.

A 4-8" deal works for me.

I had said i thought we'd have clarity by last night at the latest. of course you were right. lets hope it starts to shift in a better direction once the shortwaves are onshore

I think we have to consider that the models didn't nail the last storm until 48 hours out besides thr gfs, and that was a relatively easy setup.. this one has like 9 lows and 27 s/w's roaming around like sharks.. we still have 2 full days of model watching

5TH and last post for me... Gfs is still king of pattern as of now.. I say we stick with it until it fails

I think we have to consider that the models didn't nail the last storm until 48 hours out besides thr gfs, and that was a relatively easy setup.. this one has like 9 lows and 27 s/w's roaming around like sharks.. we still have 2 full days of model watching

5TH and last post for me... Gfs is still king of pattern as of now.. I say we stick with it until it fails

Self imposed?

Crazy maps out there.

:weenie:

We'll have our chances..lol. No need to go rafters yet. It's 84+ hours out, so I think there is room for improvement. Could it be a 1-3" fluff job?? Sure, but given how every model has changed its tune on virtually every run, I'm not sure we can just assume we only need the broom for this one.

Come on - poke the hornet's nest with me. lol - suspect Kevin is in T-minus 2:34:67 and counting away from an utter implosion

We'll have our chances..lol. No need to go rafters yet. It's 84+ hours out, so I think there is room for improvement. Could it be a 1-3" fluff job?? Sure, but given how every model has changed its tune on virtually every run, I'm not sure we can just assume we only need the broom for this one.

this has been the theme this year. with the multiple shortwaves their strength timing and phasing/not phasing issues it seems models can ONLY generally latch on to time and "potential" of an event. BUT NOT even close to the details...i.e track...R/S line Qpf etc.....so hanging on each model run outside 72 hours seems pointless to me.

Then it seems around 60 hours out as the shortwaves (multiple) are able to be handled better ......models come around with the nam and/or gfs leading the way. blocking FTL with the euro?

I like the nam and then the gfs to lead the way in this pattern FTW.

I really think the nam is the model to watch over the next day or so. but then again i'm just a weenie (and the nam has the best 5H so i am told.)

this has been the theme this year. with the multiple shortwaves their strength timing and phasing/not phasing issues it seems models can ONLY generally latch on to time and "potential" of an event. BUT NOT even close to the details...i.e track...R/S line Qpf etc.....so hanging on each model run outside 72 hours seems pointless to me.

Then it seems around 60 hours out as the shortwaves (multiple) are able to be handled better ......models come around with the nam and/or gfs leading the way. blocking FTL with the euro?

I like the nam and then the gfs to lead the way in this pattern FTW.

I really think the nam is the model to watch over the next day or so. but then again i'm just a weenie (and the nam has the best 5H so i am told.)

I can hear Loretta Lynn belting out...."STAND BY YOUR WEENIE...." and the grand finale....'STAND....................BY.....................YOUR .......WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENIEEEEEEE!"

Reflecting from " 'cause after all...he's just a weenie....."

I don't like the trend of the leading vortmax to get strung out and then cutoff from the main vortex...its letting a stronger low run away form us. Who knows if that will continue to be the case on future runs as the setup is so delicate, but its something we should be watching over the next 24 hours...root for it not to do that.

Door is open for a total miss too.

I think we'll have a much clearer picture after the 0z tonight as we'll have the benefit of two more runs. One of the critical s/ws in this whole process is north of MT and will be into ND by morning. That rotates all the way around and eventually kicks off storm two which IMO we need to slow down 12-18 hours. If you follow through on the GFS that energy eventually does get capture and spins just off our coast into the Gulf of Maine. Slow it down 12 hours and it might get interesting with the intermediate low wrapping moisture back in while we await the bigger dog. If the timing stays nearly the same....oh well, three cooks in the kitchen is too many and we may manage to miss three "storms" in just a few days.

JMHO I think it will mostly ride on what happens with the ND s/w.

OH MY GOD,

the 18z NAM is stronger with the intermediate stream short wave passing through Britt Columbia, as well as slightly farther west with the western end of the SPV....

what the means i have no f clue but oh my god - :lmao:

LOL (that's why i promise i will never post until the run is thru and then very sporadically)

i think the euro ens are out in about 13 mintues (to next poster)

I don't like the trend of the leading vortmax to get strung out and then cutoff from the main vortex...its letting a stronger low run away form us. Who knows if that will continue to be the case on future runs as the setup is so delicate, but its something we should be watching over the next 24 hours...root for it not to do that.

Models started to do that last night. That's the biggest problem right now.

18z NAM extrapolates to a snowbomb I think

Yes, I think it looks like every blizzard to hit the east coast since the 1700's. If we can speed up the s/ws, strengthen them, and move them by hundreds of miles we're in the money. Hang on, we should know by Sunday.

OH MY GOD,

the 18z NAM is stronger with the intermediate stream short wave passing through Britt Columbia, as well as slightly farther west with the western end of the SPV....

And they all teleconnect in a way very similar to the great blizzard of 1888. My Great Uncle Willard Scott still has the charts posted on the back of his toilet seat. I'd get out the KY and start lubing the shovels.

--

The other option is that we develop a stronger system 2 FTW.

Or we can just b**ch about the 120h forecast not working out again.

OH MY GOD,

Funny enough, considering the fine quality of the source, to warrant my first post..... Potential 5 post limit be d@@med.

Archived