• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2011

BullCityWx

A lot of spread in the Euro ensembles after 168 hours, the Op is a lot deeper than the mean along about the time it has the storm. So not too interested yet.

Ha, when is there not after 168! Obviously this far away even if it were showing up on all models you take it as a interest but nothing more than that.

Synoptically I dont think it is the most ideal pattern for a southern snowstorm, or at least a significant one in the day 8-10 range with the 500mb low so deep and over Maine. I would like to see it move east a bit, that would allow even more cold air to penetrate into the south and also give a southern stream system more room to amplify. That may happen in the 1/11-1/14 time frame.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha, when is there not after 168! Obviously this far away even if it were showing up on all models you take it as a interest but nothing more than that.

Synoptically I dont think it is the most ideal pattern for a southern snowstorm, or at least a significant one in the day 8-10 range with the 500mb low so deep and over Maine. I would like to see it move east a bit, that would allow even more cold air to penetrate into the south and also give a southern stream system more room to amplify. That may happen in the 1/11-1/14 time frame.

That is the one to watch for sure!! I'll pull the trigger on that thread gladly. That would be "Peach's Blizzard"...one more before I'm officially 'over the hill'.drunk.gif

Its amazing to the see the ECMWF have a 996mb already in the Florida panhandle and deepen to 984 by the time its in Charleston. There probably hasn't been a nontropical storm do that since 1993. Obviously too far out to get excited yet, but I don't remember this model ever doing anything like that.

Overall the pattern is good with a strong central /north Canada block, some western split flow and a displaced storm track to the south. So most of the ingredients are there to make a memorable storm, but everything has to be mixed properly, which the models won't handle yet and placement could be off several hundred miles. Still the signs point to stormy and cold coming up for the Southeast.

i would really, REALLY appreciate it if we could hold off until later on the 9th, or even until the 10th, because if I have to cancel our trip next week (I am a business owner who HAS to be here when there is bad weather), I am sure my wife will kill me....or at least wound me profoundly. Besides, I really want to see Mickey Mouse! :)

Some rather amazing similarities with the forecast quandary for the system around 8th and what we had with the Christmas system. Euro phases at just the right time to produce a biggie for the Carolinas. I would not bet my house on the timing of all of that working out, but I do think it is within the realm if possibilities, and it will be interesting to watch. I talked about it a bit in today's discussion on the blog below.

Its amazing to the see the ECMWF have a 996mb already in the Florida panhandle and deepen to 984 by the time its in Charleston. There probably hasn't been a nontropical storm do that since 1993. Obviously too far out to get excited yet, but I don't remember this model ever doing anything like that.

Overall the pattern is good with a strong central /north Canada block, some western split flow and a displaced storm track to the south. So most of the ingredients are there to make a memorable storm, but everything has to be mixed properly, which the models won't handle yet and placement could be off several hundred miles. Still the signs point to stormy and cold coming up for the Southeast.

I am skeptical of another big storm I mean the chances of back to back major hits here at least seem to go against all the odds. However look at DC last season they had 2 or 3 major blizzard type events in the same year and most folks would have considered what happened to DC to be far beyond what anyone thought would occur in a active year. Maybe this year is NC's year to get smacked by 2-3 major events.....I guess as good as the last system was for us I still long for another 1980 type event, a real honest to goodness knee deep blizzard. I have patiently waited 30 years for a repeat be nice if it finally happened lol.

I am skeptical of another big storm I mean the chances of back to back major hits here at least seem to go against all the odds. However look at DC last season they had 2 or 3 major blizzard type events in the same year and most folks would have considered what happened to DC to be far beyond what anyone thought would occur in a active year. Maybe this year is NC's year to get smacked by 2-3 major events.....I guess as good as the last system was for us I still long for another 1980 type event, a real honest to goodness knee deep blizzard. I have patiently waited 30 years for a repeat be nice if it finally happened lol.

We would certainly be hard pressed to find a year with more than one major hit but I suppose anything is possible. I wouldn't mind a few more nickle and dime events before the winter is out though realistically speaking. If this ends up being another larger event I would be amazed. Of course we are 200+ hours away so I am not going run to run this far away just yet.

Very interesting pattern setting up it seems, with another huge block popping over Greenland and retrograding west over N Canada. This does look quite similar to the Christmas storm... lack of CAD but with jets phase just at the last minute to put down a lot of snow for upstate SC/most of NC. Another height crash draws in the mid level cold (850 zero line falls from KY/OH border to GA coast in 6 hours!)... let hope this time the surface temps chill down faster if this comes to pass!

I agree w/ others in that this is to far away to get excited yet but it has definitely peaked my interest. Anytime the euro is showing a sub 1000 low coming across the Fl. panhandle it grabs my attention. Like Allen said, temps could be an issue w/out the perfect phase but there's plenty of time to watch this one.

Great disco folks.

Well, 2011 starts tomorrow so we will be taking about two different years if we get another big storm. :weight_lift:

We would certainly be hard pressed to find a year with more than one major hit but I suppose anything is possible. I wouldn't mind a few more nickle and dime events before the winter is out though realistically speaking. If this ends up being another larger event I would be amazed. Of course we are 200+ hours away so I am not going run to run this far away just yet.

I know I am new to this and am a weenie but if I am not mistaking GFS 4 days ago showed a huge snowstorm shooting up the coast from Virginia northward saw that on weatheradvance.com could it be the GFS sniffed out this storm first this time? And from what I saw from the last storm the GFS usally has a problem phasing a split flow storm to me the Euro does a much better job at handling a split flow storm in my opinion any input here!!

I have updated my blog this morning with my thoughts for the first 10 days of January... I'm thinking cold... and maybe snowy across the southeast?

nice write up! i sure hope the pattern does reload, as its a great one for the se so far :scooter: it would be awesome to have jan end up normal or colder than normal and not the warm/dry that a lot of us thought would happen

if we can get it cold here again and another storm or two, this winter could rank up there like last year. having two great winters back to back after the long stretch of bad ones is hard to believe. so i am optimistic for a return, but am still being cautious till i see the pattern actually set itselfs up

GFS = useless after 192

Beat me to it! Yes, I expect if the Euro does keep this up, the GFS will follow suit when it's time...so over the next few runs I won't be expecting to see the same at all, and most should feel the same way. It would be interesting if the Euro keeps up run to run consistency like last the last storm, that will light these boards up!

I do see the concern about temps but the 00z run did trend colder...taken verbatim I-95 west in NC cashes in...Columbia, SC and north does the same. Also FoothillsNC is right, the 00z spits out a good one....12z is at 992 off cape hatteras, 00z is deeper at 976...but I sure do remember what the Euro showed for the last time, so I can't get too excited. Also temps were a lot colder on day 5 for the Christmas storm, so we'll see.

ahBC2.gif

If they Euro continues to hold to its past solutions, we may be in a similar pattern w/ the models from last week IMO. The GFS appears to be settling in on a pattern that will be a good on for the SE if it holds. The map looks like an old school map from when I was younger w/ bitter cold settling into the norther plains. Who would have thought that TN folks would have to worry about winter storms passing to their south during a La Nina? At this point the - NAO and - AO trumps the Pacific.

Archived