• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2011

BullCityWx

Larry could verify but I think you are right abou atl not having a 6" snow. I live 35 miles nw and have had a few. 88 was great. I think I got around 8" with that one. In 93 my uncle measured 18. I measured 14 but I didnt get outside to measure the first day. We had another good one in 91 or 92 as well. Also, downtown got 6 or 7 in 93 so thats what they get for putting the station down at the airport.

The only 6" snows I remember are Jan 92 and Mar 93. Those were 2 great back to back years !!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last thoughts before heading out... the 00z nam is showing a major change in the orientation of the 500mb low... with it centered over the great lakes at 78 hours. This is very similar to the Euro depiction at 96 hours. It won't surprise me in the least to see the 00z gfs trend in that direction, which is a positive direction for the late weekend threat.

I was just getting ready to post the same thing. The 84 hour plot from the NAM looks very similar to the 96 hour 12Z EURO. That is a great sign indeed.

Last thoughts before heading out... the 00z nam is showing a major change in the orientation of the 500mb low... with it centered over the great lakes at 78 hours. This is very similar to the Euro depiction at 96 hours. It won't surprise me in the least to see the 00z gfs trend in that direction, which is a positive direction for the late weekend threat.

True. I just looked again at the NAM. Its thickness are pretty low for n. Ga and the Upstate to Nc, even without the low 850s. Kind of unusual , but I'd lean toward more snow than rain based on that. And the best qpf is in GA, so for those guys this may be a surprise 3" snowfall or so. Maybe more if the wetter trends continue. The RUC is leaning toward it as well. As for my area to CLT, its always too close to call practically until it occurs. LOL it could be snowing on Crowders or Kings Mtn. while raining on the lower elevations. Its that close.

That .5 is right over Rosie and Dawsons house. LOL.. where is he at?:snowman:

Thats what I was wandering, Between you 3 this is pretty big potential being only 24 hrs out, You and the sylva/Jackson County crowd, Chattanooga poster and Rosie/Dawson ought to be loving this

Been doing family duties of cleaning up dinner and putting the kids to bed. Set to go now. LOL.

Just checked out the 0z NAM and boy oh boy is it so close for me and points north of me in GA. NAM puts best Omegas (lift) over far N GA at 7pm to 10pm. As Robert mentioned, thicknesses are pretty low yet 850's are razor thin on this but NAM does have 850's below zero for most areas about Lake Lanier northward shortly after dark tomorrow.

Awaiting the GFS....

You are aware that this thread is an OBS thread also. The posts you listed really do not brother me. It pisses others off. I just choose not to read the post. It sucks when I an following on my Black Berry, but its cool. This set up has worked great for me for many years now..

But I understand 100% what you are saying.

Nothing personal taken!

"I got .004" last night and its 33.5 now" posts. Or - let's start a forum for serious questions and answers - not "What am I going to get?" but rather "Here's what I'm seeing and based on that, why am I going to or not going to get ....?"

Larry could verify but I think you are right abou atl not having a 6" snow. I live 35 miles nw and have had a few. 88 was great. I think I got around 8" with that one. In 93 my uncle measured 18. I measured 14 but I didnt get outside to measure the first day. We had another good one in 91 or 92 as well. Also, downtown got 6 or 7 in 93 so thats what they get for putting the station down at the airport.

- KATL hasn't had a 6"+ snow since the great 3/24/1983 storm's 7.9" (1.71" liquid..so very wet snow).

- As has been stated, most of ATL area had 6"+ S in the 3/1993 blizzard due to changing to snow earlier.

- KATL just missed it with 5" of S 1/18/1992 from 0.53" liquid. However, I know of a friend south of town who had ~8"!

- The 3/1/2009 storm had enough liquid equiv. (0.87") for 6"+ but it was way too wet a snow and they got 4.2".

- The great 1/7/1988 sleet storm yielded 4.2" of mainly IP from 0.82" liquid. So, this was equivalent to ~8" of snow. 4.2" of IP is easily more impressive than 6" of snow as far as staying power is concerned. Tony's favorite kind of wx.

- 1/22/1987 just missed as it was just a little too warm. They got 3.6" of snow from a storm total liquid amount of 1.14". I recalled there being flash flood warnings for heavy rain in the immediate SE burbs while it was snowing heavlily in the NW burbs! I got nearly 5" of S in Doraville.

- "Snowjam '82" produced a solid 7" of S/IP 1/12-14 (from 0.91" liquid) that didn't budge for days! That was an incredible storm.

- The Great 2/17-18/1979 sleetstorm produced a solid 4.2" of nearly pure IP (another Tony special) from a whopping 1.53" liquid. So, this was far more impressive than 6" of snow and was another incredible storm

- So, the period 1979-1993 was an incredible period for KATL S/IP lovers. This was the snowiest/sleetiest period for KATL since the late 1800's/early 1900's! However, after the 2/1979 major ZR, the ATL area didn't have another MAJOR ZR storm until 1/2000! So, all KATL major storms were S/IP from the 2/1979 IP storm through the 3/1993 blizzard.

Robert...Thanks for all of your insight...Are you referring to the Thursday event or Sunday/Monday event? I was under the impression that Phil was referring to the latter.

True. I just looked again at the NAM. Its thickness are pretty low for n. Ga and the Upstate to Nc, even without the low 850s. Kind of unusual , but I'd lean toward more snow than rain based on that. And the best qpf is in GA, so for those guys this may be a surprise 3" snowfall or so. Maybe more if the wetter trends continue. The RUC is leaning toward it as well. As for my area to CLT, its always too close to call practically until it occurs. LOL it could be snowing on Crowders or Kings Mtn. while raining on the lower elevations. Its that close.

Archived