Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
Discuss the Blizz of 2010 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will, what have you got in worcester so far?

I havent been out to measure since we lost power in the early predawn hours, but we had a bit over 8" then. Probably somewhere close to a foot now...but I'll go out and check for sure in a little bit. Still have a few bands to come through.

Couldn't do the 6 hourly method in this storm because of drifting. So this will be old school sticking a yard stick in the ground at the end.

Haha, it's their loss. I for one enjoy that sort of thing. Hmm, I see.

At least most places had a decent event after what was looking like a total loss for the end of 2010. Obviously for me this was a historic storm, so I won't dwell on that as I do not feel that pain. From the modeling to the outcome it was certainly unique. It felt much more like a February crushing. We all should remember, for various reasons, it's still only the end of December.

Honestly ... I was talking to another Met this morning about this; who needs it?! If we could have our druthers, we would wind up in a pattern of repetitive 3-6 and/or 4-8 type events, that come on every 4 days. They are more dependable and provided the cold lingers, that's really where you get the interesting snow pack.

This sucks. Whether you were in or out of the party aside, now you gotta wait probably a month to get things interesting again. God I hope not. I hope I didn't just jinx-seal the fate of all until the end of January with that statement, but more times then not a big event is followed by weeks of brutal unmitigated duldrums where the pattern enters into an extended era where it seems it couldn't find the means to generate another event during a comet impact!

We know the next 7 days are shot... Multi-run agreed upon idea of progressive positive anomaly in the east appears to want to shoot 50F air mass (or more) this way spanning a couple of days. We'll be bare ground in many areas outside the big snow resulters. After that we'll see. The PNA has risen and if you buy into the CPC/CDC blend it will be neutral, while the NAO is negative at both.

Golly. Just reported 12" in the obs thread. Several measurement averaged. Huge drifts. Called work. No go for doing the decent humane. "So you going to be late" Yup if thats what they want. Kids next door help with the shovelling.

I be breaking out the soot suit and taking my very cautious treck to work. Work in town may take atleast 4hrs. Nice and slow see, thats the way to do it. N ice and slow. LOL

Just saw a bunch of spotter reports from the local station WWLP.

Much to the dismay of the back country skier in me the hill towns did not really fair much better than the Valley. Heart of the Berks was the jackpot it seems.

Some of these locales are 800-1000ft so it wasn't elevation that was the factor. The 3.5" in Monson is unbelievable b/c on the 11pm news both local mets were still pegging them for 16-20"!

Leyden - 11"

Savoy - 10.8"

Charlemont - 10.5"

Middlefield - 10.5"

Conway - 7.75"

Chesterfield - 7.5"

Pelham - 6.5"

Montgomery - 6.5"

East Longmeadow - 6.3"

Huntington - 6"

Erving - 6"

Worthington - 6"

Palmer - 5.5"

Amherst - 5.4"

Springfield - 5"

Chicopee - 5"

Monson - 4.5"

Granby - 4.5"

Westhampton - 3"

But the Berkshires:

Williamstown - 22"

Otis - 20"

Adams - 19"

North Otis - 17"

Great Barrington - 17"

Pittsfield - 16"

Lanesborough - 15"

Clarksburg - 15"

Becket - 14"

Checking in from MegaScrewedMassachusetts aka "The Little Town of Mendon". Tough to measure because of drifting but I'm thinking 6-8" max. Mod snow right now might dump another " looking at the radar.

Great winds last night. Woopdedamndoo.

After a little more last night and another inch and half this morning we're about there too, the wind is roaring and snow is being blown, still an impressive event even though we were in a screw zone for snow.

Soccer field down the street from me had bare spots on it this morning.

Yeah it was funny. I went to the top of Corey Hill to throw the ball with the dog last night at the height of the storm. I picked the windward side because it had been blown bare in areas and the ball wouldn't be lost....lol..

After a little more last night and another inch and half this morning we're about there too, the wind is roaring and snow is being blown, still an impressive event even though we were in a screw zone for snow.

That's the right attitude! Very intense storm despite lower than expected accumulations here.

At least we all end the year with snow on the ground.

:snowman:

Honestly ... I was talking to another Met this morning about this; who needs it?! If we could have our druthers, we would wind up in a pattern of repetitive 3-6 and/or 4-8 type events, that come on every 4 days. They are more dependable and provided the cold lingers, that's really where you get the interesting snow pack.

This sucks. Whether you were in or out of the party aside, now you gotta wait probably a month to get things interesting again. God I hope not. I hope I didn't just jinx-seal the fate of all until the end of January with that statement, but more times then not a big event is followed by weeks of brutal unmitigated duldrums where the pattern enters into an extended era where it seems it couldn't find the means to generate another event during a comet impact!

We know the next 7 days are shot... Multi-run agreed upon idea of progressive positive anomaly in the east appears to want to shoot 50F air mass (or more) this way spanning a couple of days. We'll be bare ground in many areas outside the big snow resulters. After that we'll see. The PNA has risen and if you buy into the CPC/CDC blend it will be neutral, while the NAO is negative at both.

There are exceptions, January 20-21st 1978 comes to mind...

From what I can tell we stayed all snow here all night long. But it is the heaviest wettest snow I have ever seen without having any rain mixed in. Doing the best I could we ended up with somewhere between 16" and 17" with maybe another inch to go.......

boston and it's SSW suburbs got rocked.....QPF was very high from Taunton up to brockton and a mile or so west and a few miles east of that line.

it's one thing to get 18 inches of powder .....it's quite another to get it in heavy wet snow. congrats

Will any idea what i got over here in framingham. wasn't home for event and was suprised to see a report this am of 9.6 inches taken after midnite. a foot or so?

I share Ray's sense that this was a great event for wind and snow. For about 3 hours this morning it was a great event.

The other thing that takes the edge off of the disappointment of not getting big totals, is that I am learning that for up here KU's are dicey and I do really well in the far more common SWFE events..good chance we'll see some of those as the pattern changes.

My yard pathways/ tunnels are established and I expect to build on them over the next few weeks.

17.6 and windy as fook, with 11.5 inches of new snow

We probably we will see seasons like that in the near future, but I suspect with ENSO the way it is, that we'll have to wait awhile this season.

There will be nothing of this magnitude to track for weeks at least. But I suspect we're tracking a snow making system sometime next week.

Archived