Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Discuss the Blizz of 2010 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

estimating a final total of 12" here. not bad.

NWS Upton performed terribly mid-event for much of CT. In classic style, they upped totals last-minute for those areas that were under-performing. Also, their AFD says that SE CT only got 8-16", but their PNS says the highest total was 7.5 inches...

Amem to the "fook this powder" sentiment, Kev.

Not only does it have more staying power, but more often than not, areas just inland like my locale find a way to get porked in the cold storms because the immediate shore ends being aided by oceanic contributions....I get the exhaust type subsidence in the wake of it.

Cement is also easier to measure.

Give me 32-33*, cf straddling, drippy, sloppy cement, while Boston rains, over this crap.

Hope Jerry and all of those guys enjoyed this one, though.

I'd rsthe rlose to ORH, any day though.

How about 2 feet of 14:1 while Bos gets 16 inches of 10:1 and messenger gets 9 inches of cement. Can you live with that? Actually the scenario in the bold doesn't happen straight out all that often. Usually once BOS goes over to all rain, it marches inland...especially once we're in mid winter. Sometimes it marches to about 5 miles from your house and stops but often not.

How about 2 feet of 14:1 while Bos gets 16 inches of 10:1 and messenger gets 9 inches of cement. Can you live with that? Actually the scenario in the bold doesn't happen straight out all that often. Usually once BOS goes over to all rain, it marches inland...especially once we're in mid winter. Sometimes it marches to about 5 miles from your house and stops but often not.

I meant it generally....there are plenty of events in which you taint and I dont.....not necessarily a washout for you and 2', here. lol

Heavy heavy drift measuring. No way I got 9'' in Nashua and you got 18'' in Wilmington without CF enhancement.

well no way bc i just studied the 24 hour radar loop and it didn't happen. no way no how.

Dom or anyone else i'm really trying to get a BLUE HILLS measurement b/c i think they may have jackpotted for E. MASS.

based on qpf maps looks like they got over 1.5 qpf maybe near 2. (n. extent of Very high qpf) area add in elevation....and some Ocean enhancement and i think they got 20".

METAR KTAN 271752Z AUTO 31012G24KT 1/2SM SN FZFG BKN014 BKN021 OVC027 M03/M05 A2894 RMK AO2 PK WND 30031/1727 UPE05B27E30SNB05E27B30 SLP798 P0001 60007 T10331050 11006 21033 53014 TSNO

thunder snow.

i looked at radar and was shocked to see the darkest greens....that came outta nowhere....that should give taunton the 1/4 needed for 17.

Disappointed not to get the prolific totals or experience any thundersnow with this one, but considering how this season started and how iffy this threat appeared just a few days ago, I can't complain. It's perfect timing for the kids, with today being the first "boring" post-Christmas vacation day. Wish I could have stayed home with them, but it was hard to justify not coming to the office on the basis of 6-8 inches. The prevailing sentiment around here seems to be "Yep, another overhyped storm..."

Euro has a brutal torch. GFS is always way too cold for these torchs. Watch numbers come way up this week

I still think this will be muted with lots of snowcover to our SW. I think the GFS is picking up on that. With over 20 inches in Jersey and snow down into the carolinas, I think this get moderated. I could see upper 40's as a possibility into the CT valley, but I'd be surprised if we make it past 45 in Boston

If that happens, we'll lose lots. But I have probably 1.5" of water in this pack. It won't go so easily.

This is why I was really hoping the Euro ensembles were right. For days Will and Scooter said they had a CAD/icestorm signal and the op didn't once buy it and has been torching us for like 10 runs in a row

I still think this will be muted with lots of snowcover to our SW. I think the GFS is picking up on that. With over 20 inches in Jersey and snow down into the carolinas, I think this get moderated. I could see upper 40's as a possibility into the CT valley, but I'd be surprised if we make it past 45 in Boston

yup heavy wet snow envy. sun angle is crap. the heavy wet snow will survive...the foot of powder crap IMBY is likely gone fast.

Ok..remember we had this conversation ..and remember what we said would happen

This is why I was really hoping the Euro ensembles were right. For days Will and Scooter said they had a CAD/icestorm signal and the op didn't once buy it and has been torching us for like 10 runs in a row

The problem is the next cf will be very strong with hts too high ahead of it for any cad to survive long. But after fropa, seasonably cold and then we'll wait for whatever comes our way.

Archived