• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Discuss the Blizz of 2010 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

This storm is still cranking in the White Mountains due to upslope and the cold air banking up. Bretton Woods has had 34 inches and will likely be near 40 inches before it is over. Some places in the Presidential and Twin Mountain area could get 4 feet. Just incredible up there. Even though I only got 12 here, still an epic storm to watch unfold.

That is pretty incredible and good for them... no ski area should be without snow during the holiday week. They are probably seeing dollar bills fall from the sky instead of snow, lol.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenwich. I'm gonna go out and shovel a bit so I'll have a better idea, but we had around a foot and a half to 20 inches for PD2 and that looked a lot worse than this does.

I talked to my family who lives in Rye and they said a solid foot . twelve to fourteen inches they figured and they do not exaggerate. They did say that people they knew a bit to the west/nw had up to twenty inches out towards Harrison way.

for me..enjoyment-wise...75% of the fun is tracking/forecasting/expectation-development...15% is during the storm...and 10% is after the fact.

that's why this board works

That's my enjoyment as well. Looks like the last band is pivoting throught now. There was breaks in the clouds for about 1/2 hour around 2:30. Back down to 3/4m vis it appears. Been snowing all day. Probably tacked on another 1" to my earlier total. Looks like the TAN ASOS went down just after 2pm. Winds have been gusting into the 40's. Everything is frozen solid now. I hope everyone has cleared off their vehicles cause this stuff is cement now. Death Cookies everywhere.

BOX_loop.gif

Beauty of a sunset attm...

Clouds racing by.

Gardner at some point blew to 50mph since 2PM - I am impressed. Been a while since I went a whole day without leaving my property! This is awesome.

The roads are certainly passable, have been pretty much the whole time, but no need togo anywhere except out to play and snowblow.

Snowblowers rule. You hear that Jerry, Wiz! :weight_lift: Hopefully the winds die down overnight and I can ski Tuesday night... if I feel like it

How could Poughkeepsie have only received 10?! Especially since that reading was taken this morning.. They were under that incredible band for at least 5 hrs last night.. They should have picked up at least that much strictly from that band alone !

My thoughts exactly...I am glad someone else noted that!!

Still rippin here, +SN for the last 3hrs, We have been siting under a constant 20-25 dbz band, Winds have been in the 20-30 mph range with gust in the 40's and a max gust at 58 mph, Back edge of this band has been moving off to the ESE so it should be winding down in the next hour or so, Going to wait to take my final measurement my last(10.5") was before 11:00 am so we probably have at least 2" more.......

That band didn't quite make it to MBY - only about 1.5" since 7 AM, 8" total. However, I saw plenty of it driving to AUG noonish, enough to have my wife's PWM dr. appt postponed. Like driving into a featureless white tunnel, even when there were trees on both sides. Visibility was under 100 yd at times, between gusts, and near zero during them. Nastiest drving conditions I've been in since being caught in a ground blizzard on the TransCanada along the St. Lawrence.

for me..enjoyment-wise...75% of the fun is tracking/forecasting/expectation-development...15% is during the storm...and 10% is after the fact.

that's why this board works

Agreed!

Although slightly disappointed with our lower snow totals (I always am prepared for that) I thought the storm was awesome in power and I got outside frequently last night to experience it.

Ready for a SWFE for comparison - lol!

bet you wish you didn't have to shovel.

:lol: If its in your lease you better start digging.

If we ended up getting more snow than this we would have had to just call a contractor. LUCKILY I think one of the neighbors next door snowblowed part of the our sidewalk on the main street, they did like half of it so I just spent the last 45 minutes or whatever shoveling the rest...this part of the street is RIGHT in the wind...awful, I had two pairs of gloves on and a pair of hickey gloves and my hands were in such pain, I have two pair of socks on and my feet are freezing, so much back pain.

At least the downstairs neighbor shoveled his walk way so that's one less thing for me to do. All I have to do is one batch of sidewalk and this one is the long one.

The wind was pissing me off though, I was SCREAMING out swears and I didn't know there was someone coming behind me and he goes, "Yeah I hate this too" lol.

SO purchasing a snowblower this summer.

You just cursed yourself into never getting snow again.

Before we bought our house we never owned a snowblower. I shoveled out April Fools 1997 and many other storms (including helping out in 1978!)

I :wub: my snowblower!

I think to myself...what the heck did people do before snowblowers? :lol:

But then from what I've heard it used to be the entire family outside shoveling. One of my brother's works until about 5:00 and my other brother went to help his girlfriends mom with the driveway or something b/c she couldn't get out but he told me to leave him something to do...I just may leave the long sidewalk from him...but I'll probably just help b/c that will probably take a couple of hours for one person to do...maybe a little less.

This wind is really pissing me off.

If we ended up getting more snow than this we would have had to just call a contractor. LUCKILY I think one of the neighbors next door snowblowed part of the our sidewalk on the main street, they did like half of it so I just spent the last 45 minutes or whatever shoveling the rest...this part of the street is RIGHT in the wind...awful, I had two pairs of gloves on and a pair of hickey gloves and my hands were in such pain, I have two pair of socks on and my feet are freezing, so much back pain.

At least the downstairs neighbor shoveled his walk way so that's one less thing for me to do. All I have to do is one batch of sidewalk and this one is the long one.

The wind was pissing me off though, I was SCREAMING out swears and I didn't know there was someone coming behind me and he goes, "Yeah I hate this too" lol.

SO purchasing a snowblower this summer.

Buy one towards the very end of the winter. I got a great deal then.

That's my enjoyment as well. Looks like the last band is pivoting throught now. There was breaks in the clouds for about 1/2 hour around 2:30. Back down to 3/4m vis it appears. Been snowing all day. Probably tacked on another 1" to my earlier total. Looks like the TAN ASOS went down just after 2pm. Winds have been gusting into the 40's. Everything is frozen solid now. I hope everyone has cleared off their vehicles cause this stuff is cement now. Death Cookies everywhere.

BOX_loop.gif

say goodbye to the storm.

it was a dandy.

Buy one towards the very end of the winter. I got a great deal then.

I'll have to do that. I also might look around in the classified sections...sometimes I see people selling them real cheap, especially if someone from around her eis moving to a place like FL...I see that every once in a while.

I think to myself...what the heck did people do before snowblowers? :lol:

But then from what I've heard it used to be the entire family outside shoveling. One of my brother's works until about 5:00 and my other brother went to help his girlfriends mom with the driveway or something b/c she couldn't get out but he told me to leave him something to do...I just may leave the long sidewalk from him...but I'll probably just help b/c that will probably take a couple of hours for one person to do...maybe a little less.

This wind is really pissing me off.

Well, we had a family of 10, but a few were too young to help in 1978. But for that storm it took us 3 or 4 days to make it possible to get our cars out of the driveway.

I still am not sure how this storm was so bandy. What causes them? And why was the snow so fine? Winds shredding them? I heard/saw no thundersnow either. Anyone find gravity waves in this?

Gee, I ask a lot of questions...

Definitely not your classic setup. If this had occluded 100-150 miles east, we would have been talking about one of the all time greats. As it stands though, this will likely be a mid-range KU given the impact to the NJ/PA/NY/CT area up into RI/MA. Not great by our standards but a good one.

If this had occluded farther east like you say would there have been heavier totals here in the hfd/spfd area?

That band didn't quite make it to MBY - only about 1.5" since 7 AM, 8" total. However, I saw plenty of it driving to AUG noonish, enough to have my wife's PWM dr. appt postponed. Like driving into a featureless white tunnel, even when there were trees on both sides. Visibility was under 100 yd at times, between gusts, and near zero during them. Nastiest drving conditions I've been in since being caught in a ground blizzard on the TransCanada along the St. Lawrence.

This storm underperformed for some on snow, But, The wind was very impressive, Just about over, Back edge of the band looks like it will be thru here in the next hour, Took my final measurement,

SN, 1.5"

Snowfall Total- 12.0"

Temp- 22.8F

Winds NE 15.4 mph G 39.6 mph

Archived