• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Discuss the Blizz of 2010 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

That is a fallacy becuase the blizz of 1978 was in fact a little more intense than this; the central pressure was not as low simply because it occured in a regime of higher atmospheric pressure.

The low was only 984mb because it was coupled with a 1050mb high.

Did you ever think maybe it was the lack of a big strong high pressure that had some relationship to the track/dynamics/how it played out? I'm thinking that played a role but who knows.

The lack of an existing high might be one of those things that allows them to sneak a little lef than ideal, who knows.

Either way, the outlaws have arrived. 12 people in a house someone find me the grey goose. We take off in the morning leaving the 8 of them here to use it as a home base for visiting the rest of the outlaws. Hopefully it doesnt look like mardis gras when I get back.

I'm going to try to get some video of the high tide, if its any good I'll post. 5.5" here for the storm total, it's quite a bit higher a half mile WNW away from the water. That includes about 3" of snow and ice pellets last night, and about 2.5" today on the backlash crap.

Roads are still snowcovered, its a mess.

John TT, your comments about time better spent really are hitting home. I've kind of deliberately stayed away from the addiction aside of big storm potential. When we sit back after the fact and think about what is gained by taking this approach that we do here versus waking up to 20" of snow like someone close to me it makes me scratch my head. If we were all to do an inventory of the past 10 years worth of storms and legitimately quantify our expectations before, and moods after a storm I think probably a significant portion of the time A is greater/much greater than B. Collective Juju.

fascinating storm, I'm sold that it was too far west for us at almost all levels unless it was moving from the SW at that point. These systems that try to come straight up from that far offshore seem to be a problem. I'd have been much happier if it was a Hatteras to Block type track.

but anyway, guys happy and safe new year if I don't check back in. For those bummed out I feel it too, it's the "what could have been", for those happy I get it as well.

I bet we have 2-3 more good coastals.

EDIT John saw your comments after, check PM.

Happy New Years!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John TT, your comments about time better spent really are hitting home. I've kind of deliberately stayed away from the addiction aside of big storm potential. When we sit back after the fact and think about what is gained by taking this approach that we do here versus waking up to 20" of snow like someone close to me it makes me scratch my head. If we were all to do an inventory of the past 10 years worth of storms and legitimately quantify our expectations before, and moods after a storm I think probably a significant portion of the time A is greater/much greater than B. Collective Juju.

for me..enjoyment-wise...75% of the fun is tracking/forecasting/expectation-development...15% is during the storm...and 10% is after the fact.

that's why this board works

for me..enjoyment-wise...75% of the fun is tracking/forecasting/expectation-development...15% is during the storm...and 10% is after the fact.

You know, that maybe why storms never seem to meet my expectations.....because it's a manifestation of that fact that the storm itself is hard pressed to provide the enjoyment that the buildup and tracking does.

I'm sure dropping 20-30" on mby would have rendered this system better served to have accomplished that feat. lol

You know, that maybe why storms never seem to meet my expectations.....because it's a manifestation of that fact that the storm itself is hard pressed to provide the enjoyment that the buildup and tracking does.

I'm sure dropping 20-30" on mby would have rendered this system better served to have accomplished that feat. lol

perhaps.

personally...as soon as it's over i'm looking for the next one. regardless of whether 5" or 25" just fell.

It is true though... for whatever reason the anticipation is almost always better than the storm these days because you always remember those few model runs that show an absolute crushing. Just imagining what that might be like is often better than the final outcome.

Its way the storms you remember as great are almost always over-performers because the models didn't raise your expectations above the final outcome.

No way East Hartford got 14''...Like Ryan said here we had about 7-7.5''...we had 6.5'' when I went to sleep around 5 AM and with that stuff that came through after it probably dropped another inch or two as when I just went back out to do more shoveling there was some new snow outside.

I CAN'T wait for the landlords to come by, when they do I'm telling them if they want to supply us with a snowblower I'd be more than happy to take care of the snow, but if not I'm not shoveling this, it's their responsibility in the first place to take care of this. I went outside for a little more than an hour between 3:00 and 4:15 and worked on the driveway and didn't even get that done, had to come in b/c I was frozen and couldn't feel anything so I went to sleep.

I woke up a few hours ago and went back out and did some more work at the end of the driveway for another hour plus...still have a bit to go. I still have two sidewalks to go and 4 walkways, have probably about 350ft total in sidewalk to shovel, and b/c of the plows there is probably a good foot on the sidewalks. I'm just worrying about the driveway though and going to let the home owners take care of it.

The incredible path this storm took and the tremendous pressure falls seen south of Long Island, NY were amazing to watch unfold. Unfortunately I lost power during the storm. SE VA up through NYC and western LI went through the worst part of the storm, with some areas of SNE getting the worst of it as well. However the Mid Atlantic coastline probably took the worst of th, is monster storm, even though the best surface pressure associated with this low was a tad southeast of nantucket, MA at 962mb around 730am this morning.

The inredible 14mb/3hr pressure drop recorded by the Texas Tower Buoy south of Islip, NY exactly demonstrated the sole reasoning why NYC through southern NJ received the most snowfall last night into the early morning hours. There were some 30" of snowfall reported for central NJ within a 12 hour period. The best pressure falls coincided with the extreme banding nature and the intense precipitation production and the expansive nature of the comma head of this storm. It was probably wishful thinking to see for a time greatest pressure falls over the buoy southeast of Nantucket for a period yesterday afternoon, however shortly thereafter pressure falls reached 0.43in/3hr at the Texas Tower. Although the storm was not at its deepest, this was the period before occlusion where the immense pressure falls allowed for extreme nature of the snow bands to develop and sit and pivot right over this region. The low east of Hatteras, NC was recorded at around 992-994mb, to a pressure of 975mb at the Texas Tower, however wind recording estimate the low was probably stronger and a tad to the southeast of this buoy. Satellite imagery this morning was amazing seeing the occluded low head east south and then east of Nantucket, MA where the pressures dropped to 962mb and then the low moved ENE towards Halifax, NS. The extreme lift created by the storm's rapid intensification period also created an even greater dry slot to develop as the storm occluded. This was one heck of a storm to watch develop, even though we did not receive the best snowfall accumulations here in eastern SNE.

All we now need before I head to San Antonio, TX for the 11th of JAN, is a 980mb low roughly 45 miles southeast of nantucket, MA around the 5th of JAN with a 1040mb high in Quebec, Canada going through its best intensification at that time, something to the similar nature of the Jan 22-23, 2005 Blizzard. Pipe Dream. I just like to see another sizable snowstorm.

I guess we can never replicate that feeling when we were 6 years old and woke up to two feet of snow and the weatherman predicted the storm to go out to sea.

Well the internet is back up, so let me give you a review

Heavy snow with whiteout conditions started from about 3:30pm to around six pm. Winds started to create havoc from 7 pm onwards. Sleet and rain mixed in from 730 pm to around 8pm flipping to snow for the next few hours. Then sleet and rain to just rain until maybe two pm... was sort of sleepy. Then just plan snow from around 3am to around to 10 am.

Total snow fall 13 in.

Power line down on Elm st. :snowman:

CRAP.

I called the police and asked who's responsibility it was for snow removal and he said landlord's I then asked even if it's in our lease and he said well if it is than the responsibility is ours...I asked my mom if they said anything to her about the snow when she signed and she said she agreed to it....:axe::axe: This will take me like 10 hours to do.

The drifts out there are pretty amazing.

ORH still 39mph gusting to 54 at this hour. Looks like peak gust has been 50 knots so far. I'm going out to measure in a bit as it looks like the last of the bands has moved through,

willi in all seriousness how can i (or even you) measure lol

this powder is blown all over the place. drifts is all i got. went for a walk in last of snow....and said F#($K it...too cold with those winds.

last band is producing good dentrite's actually look's like it wants to get juiced up.

CRAP.

I called the police and asked who's responsibility it was for snow removal and he said landlord's I then asked even if it's in our lease and he said well if it is than the responsibility is ours...I asked my mom if they said anything to her about the snow when she signed and she said she agreed to it....:axe::axe: This will take me like 10 hours to do.

bet you wish you didn't have to shovel.

CRAP.

:lol: If its in your lease you better start digging.

This storm is still cranking in the White Mountains due to upslope and the cold air banking up. Bretton Woods has had 34 inches and will likely be near 40 inches before it is over. Some places in the Presidential and Twin Mountain area could get 4 feet. Just incredible up there. Even though I only got 12 here, still an epic storm to watch unfold.

Wow, that seems strange, not in a bad way Phil. I am the exact opposite, its enjoyable to watch the pattern and sniff out a potential storm, and certainly track it to an extent. For me, its all about the anticipation and the first flake, I try to never miss the beginning of a snow event, its all about the event, getting outside and enjoying it and watching my children enjoy it. Fire pit tonight out in the back yard amongst the 3-4 ft drifts and man made snow ramps I made for the kids, should be fantastic. Speaking of kids, hope you and your son are well, and hope your getting some sleep at least LOL.

Still rippin here, +SN for the last 3hrs, We have been siting under a constant 20-25 dbz band, Winds have been in the 20-30 mph range with gust in the 40's and a max gust at 58 mph, Back edge of this band has been moving off to the ESE so it should be winding down in the next hour or so, Going to wait to take my final measurement my last(10.5") was before 11:00 am so we probably have at least 2" more.......

This storm is still cranking in the White Mountains due to upslope and the cold air banking up. Bretton Woods has had 34 inches and will likely be near 40 inches before it is over. Some places in the Presidential and Twin Mountain area could get 4 feet. Just incredible up there. Even though I only got 12 here, still an epic storm to watch unfold.

holy SHI%

The drifts out there are pretty amazing.

ORH still 39mph gusting to 54 at this hour. Looks like peak gust has been 50 knots so far. I'm going out to measure in a bit as it looks like the last of the bands has moved through,

How much did you finish with? I ended up with about 30.5 although it could have been closer to 32-33" but I measured conservatively given the drifting. We had 4'+ drifts everywhere.

You're def. gusting higher than me though..I think I gusted to 45 once last night.

Archived