Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Discuss the Blizz of 2010 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winds are still howling. 55mph at Logan. It's literally shaking the front of my condo.

This brought some of the worse coastal flooding since Dec '92 and in some areas Halloween '91. Continuous gusts past 55 mph even at ORH. Record snow to ORF and we all know what happened in the NYC area. You combine all that and it probably is one of the most impressive storms that I can recall, ever.

Looking thru some of the pics posted I'm amazed how none of them had any windblown bare grass. with like 1/2 an inch . This wind tunnel I live in...I swear..there's spots that have an uphill pitch that it just blew away...Pisses me off so much .Just ruins things. And there's other spots with drifts to 2-3 feet.. which does not piss me off..and does not ruin things

Didn't anyone else that stayed in the teens/low 20's have some issues with snow blowing away in spots?

Winds are still howling. 55mph at Logan. It's literally shaking the front of my condo.

This brought some of the worse coastal flooding since Dec '92 and in some areas Halloween '91. Continuous gusts past 55 mph even at ORH. Record snow to ORF and we all know what happened in the NYC area. You combine all that and it probably is one of the most impressive storms that I can recall, ever.

No ****! I just came here to post about how we just got rocked. Our Christmas tree sits in the corner of our living room by big tall windows and the draft from that gust rocked the tree a bit and knocked an ornament off. Seriously.. :o

Looking thru some of the pics posted I'm amazed how none of them had any windblown bare grass. with like 1/2 an inch . This wind tunnel I live in...I swear..there's spots that have an uphill pitch that it just blew away...Pisses me off so much .Just ruins things. And there's other spots with drifts to 2-3 feet.. which does not piss me off..and does not ruin things

Didn't anyone else that stayed in the teens/low 20's have some issues with snow blowing away in spots?

:weenie:

:lol:

Yea, on a large scale it was one of the more impressive events.

It's just a shame that we have had 6 phenomenal events on the east coast over the course of the past year, and not one of them has been historically prolific across the majority of our region....what an anomaly that is.

That happened here in a couple of spots.

In one area in back of my house the wind even scoured away some of the 2" that was still there from last week. Natures own sandblasting

We pushed snow onto it since it is the best sled area in our yard

Posted earlier, but a soccer field around the corner from me had bare ground.

It's just a shame that we have had 6 phenomenal events on the east coast over the course of the past year, and not one of them has been historically prolific across the majority of our region....what an anomaly that is.

What's worse is now it's going to warm up and never snow again. Hostile pacific. Hey, where is the Zuckertubesocks? How ironic Dobbs Ferry got blitzed.lol

It comes in waves....who knows..the next few could jackpot you. I'm sure at some time in the 1800's...some weenie in Wilmington may have been swearing under the candle light as he reads a telegram from NJ stating "thow hast been through a tempest delivering snow as high as my bloomers".

You gotta remember you have over 60" a year. There are the times like in the 50's through 70's that totally favored your area..and now some areas further se have gotten it, as well as the MA. The cycle will return I'm sure soon enough for you.

What's worse is now it's going to warm up and never snow again. Hostile pacific. Hey, where is the Zuckertubesocks? How ironic Dobbs Ferry got blitzed.lol

Like many, he feels a tad left out with "only" 12". Of course, within 20 miles, people got 2-3 feet so all is relative. I think he understands Ray's feelings now. Pacific has been hostile from the gitgo....guess what, it's been a cold snowy winter so far.

It comes in waves....who knows..the next few could jackpot you. I'm sure at some time in the 1800's...some weenie in Wilmington may have been swearing under the candle light as he reads a telegram from NJ stating "thow hast been through a tempest delivering snow as high as my bloomers".

You gotta remember you have over 60" a year. There are the times like in the 50's through 70's that totally favored your area..and now some areas further se have gotten it, as well as the MA. The cycle will return I'm sure soon enough for you.

I know...... just hope it doesn't even out when I'm old. lol

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know...... just hope it doesn't even out when I'm old. lol

It will come. I'm sure a March '01 will happen sooner rather than later.

We also have to remember that we may go through a stretch like the 80's where these storms were impossible to come by. Fortunately, teleconnections seem to indicate that we may be away from the God awful pattern back then. There are reasons why these storms can be so rare. To get a storm delivering 18+" is very unique and takes a special set of circumstances to come together. Over the last couple of years, we've had some of these ingredients come together to deliver the goods..just not in your backyard, sadly. It's happened to be in areas that have been in a relative snow drought so climo once again evens the score. I'm sure we'll have more storms this year where you get 4-8" or more and I'm left with 4" then drizzle or rain.

How was the B'East today? A bit breezy on their triple?

I don't mind cold when I ski, but wind I hate

As long as the wind doesn't push me back uphill I don't really care. The skiing was great, they've done a good job laying down a lot of snow in a short period. Add to it 12-14" of cake flour and you've got a good time. There were areas up top that were quite wind slabbed and I found knee to waist deep snow to on the lee side. There were very few souls there early on and I rode up behind patrol for first turns. I posted some pics back earlier this afternoon. Later in the morning more people started to show and that's when I skidaddle. All in all a fun time. Been busy this afternoon trying to build a snow fort with my daughter, tough with this dry stuff.

It will come. I'm sure a March '01 will happen sooner rather than later.

We also have to remember that we may go through a stretch like the 80's where these storms were impossible to come by. Fortunately, teleconnections seem to indicate that we may be away from the God awful pattern back then. There are reasons why these storms can be so rare. To get a storm delivering 18+" is very unique and takes a special set of circumstances to come together. Over the last couple of years, we've had some of these ingredients come together to deliver the goods..just not in your backyard, sadly. It's happened to be in areas that have been in a relative snow drought so climo once again evens the score. I'm sure we'll have more storms this year where you get 4-8" or more and I'm left with 4" then drizzle or rain.

I don't think it's sad

Archived