• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Discuss the Blizz of 2010 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

I absolutely understand that and I wouldn't dream of debating it.

Like I said, it was just unfortunate that that magnitude wasn't displayed in more of our by's.....

If you ask me it sucked, I stared at WV and radar all night and thought man o man this is a hosing but man was it fun ripping up the snow with the Grandkids today. Wind is still blowing snow everywhere.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my sister called me from plymouth and was amazed at the strength of the wind...she is about 1/4mi away from the water so she knows all about wind...however, at one point last night she said she was almost positive her glass sliders were going to blow in, during the height of the storm their 85lb collie bombed down the hallway and took shelter in the bedroom closet...(she's not a fan of wind)

We haven't had many classic Miller Bs since 2005. That said, this storm could have been better here if it tracked a bit east...this storm was all about timing...and NNJ/NYC was in the best spot for when the 5h closed off and deepened the most rapidly. That's where you want to be in any storm evolution.

yea i certainly got lucky since people 5 -10 miles west of me only got 12 inches as that band misssed them. By the way my 22 inches is snowdepth, i dont use the clearing off method as  i think it inflates totals and im sure mine would have been easily over 2ft if i did it that way. heres a shot of my walkway

2ufeq1f.jpg

Yard is all shoveled of the snow that fell between last night and today. Driveway is pretty clean, the two sidewalks, the two of four walksways. the one of the one that isn't shoveled is shoveled enough to where you walk walk. Came in earlier to eat oatmeal and hot choclate and as I'm doing that I see a car pull in my driveway and I assume it was my brother who was coming back from his girldeidns, I think ask my mom if she has a snowblower and she said no, and I told her, "well someone is outside snowblowing". As soon a sI finish that sentence the door gets knocked on and it was out landlord, he said they bought over a snowblower for us and I used it on the walkway that was none cleaned of snow yet and I used it to fix up the driveway, as I was doing this the downstairs neighbor comes home and say, "want me to move my van" and I say yes.

My friend then supplies with with some 40's so I'm relaxing from my snow removing job and watching the 40's play.

Yard is all shoveled of the snow that fell between last night and today. Driveway is pretty clean, the two sidewalks, the two of four walksways. the one of the one that isn't shoveled is shoveled enough to where you walk walk. Came in earlier to eat oatmeal and hot choclate and as I'm doing that I see a car pull in my driveway and I assume it was my brother who was coming back from his girldeidns, I think ask my mom if she has a snowblower and she said no, and I told her, "well someone is outside snowblowing". As soon a sI finish that sentence the door gets knocked on and it was out landlord, he said they bought over a snowblower for us and I used it on the walkway that was none cleaned of snow yet and I used it to fix up the driveway, as I was doing this the downstairs neighbor comes home and say, "want me to move my van" and I say yes.

My friend then supplies with with some 40's so I'm relaxing from my snow removing job and watching the 40's play.

:lol: :lol:

well just took dog out....tried to find a decently shelterd spot....and took several measurements.

12 new inches in w. framingham, ma. Just on SE corner of pike / rt.9 crossing

better than i thought from first driving up hill by windblown side.

24 hr radar loop enjoy

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Yesterday.aspx?location=USNY0124

edit....dog just ate my F'n turkey burger and is now hiding in corner with head down. :axe:

well just took dog out....tried to find a decently shelterd spot....and took several measurements.

24 hr radar loop enjoy

http://www.intellica...cation=USNY0124

edit....dog just ate my F'n turkey burger and is now hiding in corner with head down. :axe:

everyone knows- you snooze you lose! smart dog!

yea i certainly got lucky since people 5 -10 miles west of me only got 12 inches as that band misssed them. By the way my 22 inches is snowdepth, i dont use the clearing off method as i think it inflates totals and im sure mine would have been easily over 2ft if i did it that way. heres a shot of my walkway

This storm (at least here) was impossible to do the 6 hourly method anyway. If you measured in just one spot, it could have been a drift or a bare spot.

I took an average of about 10 measurements to get my 12" total. But in all honesty, that number could really be 2 inches in either direction.

This storm (at least here) was impossible to do the 6 hourly method anyway. If you measured in just one spot, it could have been a drift or a bare spot.

I took an average of about 10 measurements to get my 12" total. But in all honesty, that number could really be 2 inches in either direction.

yup exactly and im wondering if thats why some of those really big totals stick out like the 29 reported in lincoln park in my county

If you ask me it sucked, I stared at WV and radar all night and thought man o man this is a hosing but man was it fun ripping up the snow with the Grandkids today. Wind is still blowing snow everywhere.

Glad you enjoyed it, Steve.

Damn, it is like an arctic night out there...just brutal....just back from the plaza.....

The intrepidation is vividly on display as I watch folks tentatively brave the elements; they are quite aware of the fact that they are no match for this.

15.7\11

Blowing Snow

G 47 MPH

WC 9*

Had a nice trip into Cambridge this afternoon with the family to see Revels. Definately noticed snow depth increasing as I headed east from Littleton. Snow totals in Littleton are in the 6-8 range (impossible to get a definite value) with drifts up to 2 feet. What was really amazing was the wind and blowing snow this evening from Cambridge back home. Classic ground blizzard conditions. Even now in Littleton, we're experiencing the strongest gusts yet from this storm. Nice way to close out the books for December 2010, but am really wondering when we'll get our next 12"+ storm (been over a year). Amazing how the -NAO is holding strong in the long term. There just doesn't seem to be a good analog for this pattern that we've experienced the past year with the unrelenting blocking.

If you think about it, that storm was the perfect way to close out 2010 because it absolutely epitomized last season; an epic sensational, highly anomalous storm that was simply run-of-the-mill imby....not terrible, but a mere fraction of the magnitude that the majority of the populous got to experience.

I'm over it.....wonderful winter's night....

I'm just glad we got our first real snow 2 months earlier than '06-'07...that season scarred me and it wasn't looking good for a while.

I'm just glad we got our first real snow 2 months earlier than '06-'07...that season scarred me and it wasn't looking good for a while.

Even if I were still shut out, I wouldn't for a moment fear anything like that was on the horizon' we are reentering the 1960s imo.

Some bad luck to kick it off, but it won't last.

Even if I were still shut out, I wouldn't for a moment fear anything like that was on the horizon' we are reentering the 1960s imo.

Some bad luck to kick it off, but it won't last.

Yeah, and hopefully March is as good as advertised. That month has the potential to be epic...heavy snow and the ramp up to what will surely be an excellent baseball season.

What about me? What about me? What about R.V.D?

Don't know, don't care, but it's this area's turn to reap the benefits of a pivot point.

It's rare for you to really get crushed....you need the heart of the deformation right over you to offset your oragraphic deficiency....a la Feb 2001 and 2006, respectively.

One hell of storm here.. total of 9" in Bedford .. 8 inches in Milford lol..

You know Its a bust when the cape is only 2 inches away from you..

Worst dendrites I have ever seen from a storm.. it was a snow mixed with sleet most of the time. At times you could see the sleet holes in the snowpack. Pretty pathetic. Give me a swfe with halfdollar sized flakes please.

I mean nashua, NH getting 7.5"??? And people are calling this one of the greatest storms in recent memory? I'm with tip on this one..

Hope you enjoyed the WIND storm guys.. NJ, NY, n NH and ME got the snowstorm.. reports of 2-3'

Just face it.. it was a bust for all of new England.. Boston sat in that "Mega band" and only got 16-19 inches

OK dude.

24 hr radar loop enjoy

http://www.intellica...cation=USNY0124

Sorry to hear that, but it actually made me guffaw!

My old dog loved playing in the snow today. He thinks he is a puppy again... now he is tired

Archived