Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Discuss the Blizz of 2010 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking there are two more in the pipeline, hopefully now more people have arrived at Pete Jerry and My party. KU in a Nina preposterous. Remember what I said about the 1970 LA precip records broke and the ensuing KU ? My feeling is we relax until mid Jan then we begin what could be the best eight week period many have seen ending with perhaps another bomb.

LOL, more snow to come to be sure. I don't think we'll have to wait that long. I also think at some point we'll hit a staccato rythm with a number of storms coming in quickly one after another. Perhaps not blockbusters but the cumulative effect (NPI) will be to build up an impressive snowpack. As far as I'm concerned, it's early 1st quarter and you, Jerry and I have opened up an early lead with our Big Winter calls. This was a nice interception. "The Models drop back to pass, looking OTS , going down field, THE PASS IS PICKED OFF, the 40, 35 , 30, 25 10 TOUCHDOWN!!!". Looking forward to running the score up on the nay sayers.

You didn't think the wind made it a little different?

ok, i'll admit it was very windy...which is rare...

but overall for MBY (and i'm not speaking for anyone else, or generalizing the whole storm) it was nothing special considering the past history of storms in the NorthEast...however, if you're talking of the most recent past, it was a pretty good storm I guess...

LOL, more snow to come to be sure. I don't think we'll have to wait that long. I also think at some point we'll hit a staccato rythm with a number of storms coming in quickly one after another. Perhaps not blockbusters but the cumulative effect (NPI) will be to build up an impressive snowpack. As far as I'm concerned, it's early 1st quarter and you, Jerry and I have opened up an early lead with our Big Winter calls. This was a nice interception. "The Models drop back to pass, looking OTS , going down field, THE PASS IS PICKED OFF, the 40, 35 , 30, 25 10 TOUCHDOWN!!!". Looking forward to running the score up on the nay sayers.

Hopefully you are better at picking winter outcomes than football teams... Bills had many of those picks...

Second week of Jan will bring us more snow. Interior stuff this time!

One hell of storm here.. total of 9" in Bedford .. 8 inches in Milford lol..

You know Its a bust when the cape is only 2 inches away from you..

Worst dendrites I have ever seen from a storm.. it was a snow mixed with sleet most of the time. At times you could see the sleet holes in the snowpack. Pretty pathetic. Give me a swfe with halfdollar sized flakes please.

I mean nashua, NH getting 7.5"??? And people are calling this one of the greatest storms in recent memory? I'm with tip on this one..

Hope you enjoyed the WIND storm guys.. NJ, NY, n NH and ME got the snowstorm.. reports of 2-3'

Just face it.. it was a bust for all of new England.. Boston sat in that "Mega band" and only got 16-19 inches

10-20 inches of snow in SNE is big, but not off the charts. 50 to 70 mph on the shore isn't *that* amazing...windy but not unheard of.

however, widespread 45 to 65 over the entire region with 10 to 20 inches of snow falling is pretty uncommon. we manage 15 to 20 inch events with 25 to 30 mph gusts somewhat frequently in SNE and we pull off huge wind events every now and then...but it's not very often (at all) that the two are combined to this degree.

definitely a fierce storm. for some folks it will long be remembered and for others, not so much. just imagine if we had had any semblance of good HP north of New England.

Worst dendrites I have ever seen from a storm.. it was a snow mixed with sleet most of the time. At times you could see the sleet holes in the snowpack. Pretty pathetic. Give me a swfe with halfdollar sized flakes please.

I mean nashua, NH getting 7.5"??? And people are calling this one of the greatest storms in recent memory? I'm with tip on this one..

Hope you enjoyed the WIND storm guys.. NJ, NY, n NH and ME got the snowstorm.. reports of 2-3'

Just face it.. it was a bust for all of new England.. Boston sat in that "Mega band" and only got 16-19 inches

For those about to chuck, we salute you! :weenie: :weenie: :weenie:

• It wasn't sleet, it was snow pellets, and they only lasted like an hour to an hour and a half. Wind didn't help ratios.
  • 7.5'' in ASH was a lowball...I got about 9''.
  • While not the KU we were hoping for, it was still a 8-10'' storm - low end SECS for us.
  • How 16-20'' in BOS is a bust I'll never know.

Mods please...please do the right thing here.enough is enough

NYC and Jersey haven't been in a snow drought..Those areas are gold mines for KU's and I'd argue those are better spots to be for one of these monsters than anywhere in SNE

miller As maybe but i think miller bs crush you guys more, only north jersey seemms to do well with the millerbs . 22 yesterday here thanks to the mega band that sat on me for 3 hrs than came back for another 2hrs later in the night

ok, i'll admit it was very windy...which is rare...

but overall for MBY (and i'm not speaking for anyone else, or generalizing the whole storm) it was nothing special considering the past history of storms in the NorthEast...however, if you're talking of the most recent past, it was a pretty good storm I guess...

Exactly.

For me I'll always remember this one..Sure we didn't jackpot..but we did fairly well..and that is all I need. Standing out there in that 55 mph wind this afternoon shovelling..ducking falling branches, true ground blizzards..the likes of which I have never seen before..it was just breath taking for me.. something I'll never forget..There was so much snow blowing that it actually shielded the sun.. loved it

so does this go down as a KU.

is DC required to get decent totals for this to be a KU?

last year with the dec 19 noreaster and this year i've had a knack for staying in places that did much better than where i live. (not that anyone cares last year ....raynaham 16" vs burlington 8" this year bridgewater 13'ish vs framingham 10' ish.) nice

I must say that i do put a value down for wind. I mean how can't you ? this is what makes this storm a true beast!

yes i love snow....i will drive 4 hours to see it christ? but the wind that i hear now....and the winds over nite last nite and this am were ferocious. just mean winds........ the winds send a message to you.....i am a very strong storm......i will push you around respect me and if your lucky i won't put you in the screw zone.

i'd like to see more snowfall reports out of needham, natick, millis..medfield...hopkinton , southborough, etc or a framingham.

miller As maybe but i think miller bs crush you guys more, only north jersey seemms to do well with the millerbs . 22 yesterday here thanks to the mega band that sat on me for 3 hrs than came back for another 2hrs later in the night

We haven't had many classic Miller Bs since 2005. That said, this storm could have been better here if it tracked a bit east...this storm was all about timing...and NNJ/NYC was in the best spot for when the 5h closed off and deepened the most rapidly. That's where you want to be in any storm evolution.

For me I'll always remember this one..Sure we didn't jackpot..but we did fairly well..and that is all I need. Standing out there in that 55 mph wind this afternoon shovelling..ducking falling branches, true ground blizzards..the likes of which I have never seen before..it was just breath taking for me.. something I'll never forget..There was so much snow blowing that it actually shielded the sun.. loved it

I'll remember this one only because it looked like it was going to be a scraper and then in the eleventh hour it came in. That and the fact that Bob was eager to tell me I had a slim chance at best to see greater than 4". I thought of that this morning skiing in the knee deep powder.

We haven't had many classic Miller Bs since 2005. That said, this storm could have been better here if it tracked a bit east...this storm was all about timing...and NNJ/NYC was in the best spot for when the 5h closed off and deepened the most rapidly. That's where you want to be in any storm evolution.

Will, After this event, Which model or models do you think performed well on this storm?

Exactly.

When discussing the impact of any storm on a region wide scale it is easy to IMBY but in reality the impact of a storm is judged by the entirety. I and very many central NE Englanders suffered an interminable dry slut from hades. The posts of NBD reflect that, however the totality reveals this storm will be historic in it's meteorological impact.

Will, can you think of any events in the last 10 years or so that had the bands like this? I'm not complaining, but I figured this would be a more even event, as did many TV mets...

It was strange early on to see the way things were setting up. And that dryslot was nasty

If you think about it, that storm was the perfect way to close out 2010 because it absolutely epitomized last season; an epic sensational, highly anomalous storm that was simply run-of-the-mill imby....not terrible, but a mere fraction of the magnitude that the majority of the populous got to experience.

I'm over it.....wonderful winter's night....

Will, can you think of any events in the last 10 years or so that had the bands like this? I'm not complaining, but I figured this would be a more even event, as did many TV mets...

It was strange early on to see the way things were setting up. And that dryslot was nasty

Often the huge storms have this initial huge WAA front end dump followed by the banding where the jackpots occur, this storms front end was enough for the half foot low ends but as soon as banding an CF set up subsidence prevailed. Not unusual, the CCB was way west and stagnant.

When discussing the impact of any storm on a region wide scale it is easy to IMBY but in reality the impact of a storm is judged by the entirety. I and very many central NE Englanders suffered an interminable dry slut from hades. The posts of NBD reflect that, however the totality reveals this storm will be historic in it's meteorological impact.

I absolutely understand that and I wouldn't dream of debating it.

Like I said, it was just unfortunate that that magnitude wasn't displayed in more of our by's.....

If you think about it, that storm was the perfect way to close out 2010 because it absolutely epitomized last season; an epic sensational, highly anomalous storm that was simply run-of-the-mill imby....not terrible, but a mere fraction of the magnitude that the majority of the populous got to experience.

I'm over it.....wonderful winter's night....

I have zero doubt you do not reap the bounties of this winter.

Archived