• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Discuss the Blizz of 2010 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

It will come. I'm sure a March '01 will happen sooner rather than later.

We also have to remember that we may go through a stretch like the 80's where these storms were impossible to come by. Fortunately, teleconnections seem to indicate that we may be away from the God awful pattern back then. There are reasons why these storms can be so rare. To get a storm delivering 18+" is very unique and takes a special set of circumstances to come together. Over the last couple of years, we've had some of these ingredients come together to deliver the goods..just not in your backyard, sadly. It's happened to be in areas that have been in a relative snow drought so climo once again evens the score. I'm sure we'll have more storms this year where you get 4-8" or more and I'm left with 4" then drizzle or rain.

NYC and Jersey haven't been in a snow drought..Those areas are gold mines for KU's and I'd argue those are better spots to be for one of these monsters than anywhere in SNE

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking thru some of the pics posted I'm amazed how none of them had any windblown bare grass. with like 1/2 an inch . This wind tunnel I live in...I swear..there's spots that have an uphill pitch that it just blew away...Pisses me off so much .Just ruins things. And there's other spots with drifts to 2-3 feet.. which does not piss me off..and does not ruin things

Didn't anyone else that stayed in the teens/low 20's have some issues with snow blowing away in spots?

looking back at the meso net temp yes...i had mostly low 20's for the event.....and there is bare'ish ground in a few spots....even blasted the 2.5 or so inches of other snow pack i had out LOL. looks like 10-13 in my general area. kinda pissed me off after being in Bridgwater, ma earlier today. that **** is CAKED on everything that is standing. makes a much more picturesque view.

NYC and Jersey haven't been in a snow drought..Those areas are gold mines for KU's and I'd argue those are better spots to be for one of these monsters than anywhere in SNE

last year jersey was a gold mine for KU's....but this year the epic banding that hit them only buried ike 20% of the state.....i mean the very heavy band didn't plow the whole state.

interestingly enough .....JFK has been rumored to have also some of the biggest low ball amounts for storms like this .....like someone wakes up ....eats a donut.....scratches their crotch ....walks over to some random spot just outside the door...picks their nose.....and stick the ruler down where ever.....and says yup 9 inches. while on 4 sides around them they have a minimum of 15. think i saw the same thing at Dulles/ DC last year in one of the snow bombs.

i would say NYC is certainly in a favorable spot for 15+ KU snowfalls but i would argue ORH is in a better spot hands down!

well this storm will be remembered not for its snow here ,but its wind ,just driving around today looking at the damage. I saw trees down,powerlines blowing in the wind a completly blown out burger king sign and many other mangled and twisted signs some people I spoke with said they havent slept yet due to the wind keeping them up all night. could you imagine the damage if it happened at summertime.

Sorry, I'm thinking further south, but even they were screwed pretty hard at times until '08/'09. They did get hit hard in Feb '06 though.

I agree that they tend to get some great KU's. One day, you will see a storm above 14".

KU stats 35 million people had Blizzard conditions at some point, 50 million people had at least 6 inches, , 962 mb is Cat 3 hurricane force pressure wise, 6000 flights cancelled..

The more I look back, the more I realize how epic this storm really was. The pics from Scituate are incredible. Firefighters rescuing people in chest high 40 degree water in a blizzard with two homes on fire in the background. Absolutely incredible. How in the Sam fooking hell would people say it's pedestrian.

i would say NYC is certainly in a favorable spot for 15+ KU snowfalls but i would argue ORH is in a better spot hands down!

I disagree. NYC is about as far NW as you can be while still being on the coast. That's not a great spot to be for big snowfalls. Isolated locations in and around NYC tri-state have gotten lucky a few times since 2006, but overall interior SNE is a MUCH BETTER location for heavy snowfalls.

Sorry, I'm thinking further south, but even they were screwed pretty hard at times until '08/'09. They did get hit hard in Feb '06 though.

I agree that they tend to get some great KU's. One day, you will see a storm above 14".

LOL..they happen here in wet snow bombs where only the interior jackpots..typically Miller B's. Not these run up the coast deals .That's how it has to happen here

I disagree. NYC is about as far NW as you can be while still being on the coast. That's not a great spot to be for big snowfalls. Isolated locations in and around NYC tri-state have gotten lucky a few times since 2006, but overall interior SNE is a MUCH BETTER location for heavy snowfalls.

Well SNE does well in the Miller B bombs like Jan '05 etc, but overall...the classic Miller A KU's are down there. However, we have done quite well in se New England with Miller A's.

The more I look back, the more I realize how epic this storm really was. The pics from Scituate are incredible. Firefighters rescuing people in chest high 40 degree water in a blizzard with two homes on fire in the background. Absolutely incredible. How in the Sam fooking hell would people say it's pedestrian.

One of the most impressive gusts I saw was the New London Ledge Light 69mph.That is just off land, it's not far from the coast in a protected sound and the wind was offshore. Even now the wind is crazy at times. Despite some paltry snow totals for me, on a bigger picture this was one of the biggies.

Hey, you're halfway to beating last year's total!

As argued ad naseum last night and this morning, it was a heckuva storm, but central areas had mundane snow.

What will the storm be named? Blizzard of 2010 sounds sort of cheesy

any snowblower recommendations? gas vs. electric? brand?

sorry for the OT in these waning hours of the storm

if you haven't seen it already, check out this really well-done time-lapse from northern NJ:

http://ireport.cnn.c...33804?ref=email

Probably gas.

Our landlord came over with a snowblower so I was able to use that on the sidewalk, one of the walk ways and to do a better job with the driveway...LIFESAVER :thumbsup:

it was a free program that came with the camera...its kodak's version of a flip cam. I have adobe premier pro but that would take more time, I threw this together in a few minutes. Program is called "Media Impression for Kodak", its basically the same as windows movie maker.

Very well done

What did you use to edit it and add music, titles?

Agreed.

only one town between winchester and saugus...melrose..where I am, we def have 15-16 inches...even driving through wilmington today, our snow banks were bigger and it jjust looked like more snow here, i think its a decent ob, not perfect but close.

essex county impressed me with their totals ....lynn saugus salem....17-18 inches very nice.

wind is howling .....geezus.

one that sticks out like it doesn't belong is the winchester 17 inch total just doesn't really fit in.

Hey, you're halfway to beating last year's total!

As argued ad naseum last night and this morning, it was a heckuva storm, but central areas had mundane snow.

What will the storm be named? Blizzard of 2010 sounds sort of cheesy

I know it wasn't all that great for some, but just look at it as a whole. Heck even I got screwed in March '01, but no doubt that storm was a monster for sne.

only one town between winchester and saugus...melrose..where I am, we def have 15-16 inches...even driving through wilmington today, our snow banks were bigger and it jjust looked like more snow here, i think its a decent ob, not perfect but close.

I have a friend in Belmont..not too far away who would argue that total as well. Seems a little suspect, but I'm not there to measure.

The problem with these type of storms is that it brings out the people with drift fetishes.

I bet you get a wet blue snow Tip special late in the season. Maybe not a KU, but maybe a modest wet snow event.

I am thinking there are two more in the pipeline, hopefully now more people have arrived at Pete Jerry and My party. KU in a Nina preposterous. Remember what I said about the 1970 LA precip records broke and the ensuing KU ? My feeling is we relax until mid Jan then we begin what could be the best eight week period many have seen ending with perhaps another bomb.

I have a friend in Belmont..not too far away who would argue that total as well. Seems a little suspect, but I'm not there to measure.

The problem with these type of storms is that it brings out the people with drift fetishes.

This was a very hard storm to measure... Winds wreak havoc...

I could see 10 people measuring the same property and getting 10 different amounts - say a 2" margin of error?

This was a very hard storm to measure... Winds wreak havoc...

I could see 10 people measuring the same property and getting 10 different amounts - say a 2" margin of error?

haha or 10" i agree it was hard to measure....even though it is wrong to do this, I am basing that on my car which sat all day and night and accumulated...the wind did not pile snow on the car, in fact the wind probably took snow off of it and I put in the ruler and it was over the ruler by about 3-4 inches

my meteorology professors would have me saying I measured on a car

I think whatever the snowstorm is, the best pressure fall couplet occurs to the west and northwest of that best couplet, is where the biggest snowfall occurs. I mean seriously look at all of the amazing snowstorms to occur on the East Coast. I can almost guarantee that the best snowfall and the best comma head occurs where ever the storm deepens the quickest. Blizzard of 2005: best pressure falls couplet occurred 54nm southeast of nantucket, MA. Where did the highest snowfall and banding occur? TO the Northwest of the cyclone's low pressure track, over NE MA and SE MA, including the Cape and Islands. This past storm, the best pressure falls occurred south of Long Island, NY and to the west and Northwest the best snowfall and comma head occurred. Let's take the storm that occurred last week, that storm passed way to our east, and the best comma head occurred to the west of the cyclone over the open waters just east of Chatham, MA where the best snowfall band was nearly stationary for near 12 hours, before gettin forced westward. The best snowfall occurred across Cape Cod and Plymouth, MA, where 10-14" of snow fell.

Archived