Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Discuss the Blizz of 2010 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

band from hell setting up over E. plymouth and next town east. on radar you could see two areas consolidated east of cape ann and that band is going BOOM!

i'm in lil screw zone in framingham now but i'm gonna head over to wa wa at 3pm and ski this evening . prob up to close to 10 inches of powda there with that band snowin down on them now.

Prob just going to miss me ENE

Cannon is reporting 19-21" new..

puts them over 6' since 11/27

WOW! Sunday river had about 50 trails last NYE, about 90 this year if not more. It was great last year, cannot wait for this year.

Well, this was no Dec 2003 in that respect....Raul from Burlington came up with the same measurement as I.

Dec 2003 was for real.....I drove down to my dad's and took a bunch of measurements because I couldn't believe, but it was very real.

Jan 2005 did not have that sharp gradient, either......I submitted that 25" measurement and it was very representative of the area.

I believe you, trust me. Maybe we should just say range was relatively high give the fluffy nature of the snow and drifted quite significantly. BTW, I can't wait to see what Saugus comes in with for a final total. They were 19. something inches a few hours ago. they must be over 20" now. I remember the Aprill Blizzard of 1997, Bedford, Ma recorded 24", so didn't I. North reading recorded 22", Reading reacoding 27", North Woburn 27" south Woburn 30". I think you recorded 30" and that seemed a little high for wet snow.

overall this was an impressive storm, I know many people where expecting much more, I was also, I was thinking 16-20" but these things happen. As someone said, that is why the special storms are that, special because they happen very rarely. I will be very interested as we do a post-mortem on this storm, this one was a difficult one for everyone to predict even up to last night.

Congratulations to all who got what they wished for, for all of the rest of us,there is always next time, no matter what we will be back in front of the computer for hours, neglecting sleep, food, families and children, I am lucky that my family understand my passion for weather. Even my oldest son is getting into it, maybe he will become a Met and become bostonseminoleII.. FSU has a pretty good met school, stupid me, instead went into biochemistry.

I think the 384hr GFS has something.. :arrowhead:

had nearly 8 inches on the front end dump by 8pm in bridgewater....then 70 minutes of sleet ....then back to snow......compaction was a big issue there with temps around 32 most of the event. finished with about a foot. possibly more not sure how much was compacted.

was def. back breaking snow. but after a weekend of drinking and eating tons of crap the exercise was actually nice this am. nice solid snow back in bristol country this am.

just driving out there this am completely BLOWS away anywhere else i drove on 495 back home. the sight of trees caked with a foot + of snow and power lines sagging is relatively rare out there. this stopped as i entered norton/ mansfield. raynham/ Bridgewater were saved from the typical changeover to sleet- rain that they sometimes get especially with a low that close to them. I thought when i saw the lower pressures in the GOM around mid nite last nite that may help keep the winds/isobar more NE then the E garbabe that screws that area with a low in that position.

had nearly 8 inches on the front end dump by 8pm in bridgewater....then 70 minutes of sleet ....then back to snow......compaction was a big issue there with temps around 32 most of the event. finished with about a foot. possibly more not sure how much was compacted.

was def. back breaking snow. but after a weekend of drinking and eating tons of crap the exercise was actually nice this am. nice solid snow back in bristol country this am.

just driving out there this am completely BLOWS away anywhere else i drove on 495 back home. the sight of trees caked with a foot + of snow and power lines sagging is relatively rare out there. this stopped as i entered norton/ mansfield. raynham/ Bridgewater were saved from the typical changeover to sleet- rain that they sometimes get especially with a low that close to them. I thought when i saw the lower pressures in the GOM around mid nite last nite that may help keep the winds/isobar more NE then the E garbabe that screws that area with a low in that position.

:thumbsup:

Minor coastal flooding and a fire (could have been started by cigs for all we know) with some light snow.

Where's the low visibility, heavy snow, winds?

I lived there during the Blizzard of '78, which was major. They've experienced lesser storms, but, being intimately familiar with the area, I wouldn't categorize this storm as a minor one.

Due to the '78 storm, I've always felt that firefighters who have to train for and deal with these situations are underpaid.

I thought you might take more time to consider it since you seem to enjoy providing us with lengthy discussion. I'll look forward to that, thanks.

Lol - yea, I've been known to glaze over a few sets of eyes before ...

Actually, I'm sort of buying into the explanation provided by others here, re the stuff about elongation aloft, and closing too fast ...etc, etc. These are nuances endemic to this particular system - unfortunately, none of which could be predicted. In essence, this was a now-cast time range cosmic dildo for some, and a bonanza for others.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the "bare" gets you. That's where the beauty of Feb 1978 is drawn in that everyone got the bear, not to mention so many others storms of lore. I tell you what, we really didn't get it so bad when you think back to what happened ...or rather didn't happen in the CT R Valley during the Dec 1992 storm. Now THAT was a bend-over CDing with no lubrication to event make it less painful.

Lol - yea, I've been known to glaze over a few sets of eyes before ...

Actually, I'm sort of buying into the explanation provided by others here, re the stuff about elongation aloft, and closing too fast ...etc, etc. These are nuances endemic to this particular system - unfortunately, none of which could be predicted. In essence, this was a now-cast time range cosmic dildo for some, and a bonanza for others.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the "bare" gets you. That's where the beauty of Feb 1978 is drawn in that everyone got the bear, not to mention so many others storms of lore. I tell you what, we really didn't get it so bad when you think back to what happened ...or rather didn't happen in the CT R Valley during the Dec 1992 storm. Now THAT was a bend-over CDing with no lubrication to event make it less painful.

Haha, it's their loss. I for one enjoy that sort of thing. Hmm, I see.

At least most places had a decent event after what was looking like a total loss for the end of 2010. Obviously for me this was a historic storm, so I won't dwell on that as I do not feel that pain. From the modeling to the outcome it was certainly unique. It felt much more like a February crushing. We all should remember, for various reasons, it's still only the end of December.

Archived