• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
May 2024 Discussion - Welcome to Severe Season!!!!

weatherwiz

41 minutes ago, NoCORH4L said:

Going to be like this crap until Monday next week. 

Seems the sensitivity is almost entirely NAO causal. 

I'm noticing that same general improvement after this weekend in the panache of the guidance out in time ( variable depending on which.. but by and large).  Meanwhile, all ens sourced teleconnection coverage shows an abrupt neutralization of NAO from ~ -1.5 SD to nominal by early week.   The mid and extended range NAO is 0 SD flat-lined from ~ the 5th out into oblivion, after that point in time.  Those two facets seem likely connected.

During this and recency with -NAO we've kept seeing trough shrapnel and all other perturbations diving SE when nearing 90W/50N ... blunting back any continental westerly flow types from getting in here - that's the -NAO having established as a primary forcing mechanism on the current era synoptics.  

In short, we need to get rid of that f'ing menace.  

I also want to add, this is consistent with the last 5 years of spring NAOs.   4 out of the last 5 years have seen a -NAO between mid April and mid Mays. And these were not merely intraweekly excursions in the index values.  These were definitive R. Wave structures that pulsed in amplitude in the negative phase states, spanning 2 weeks or more.  Those months that were positive outliers, actually still had negative phase states that encourage at least transient negative anomalies.  Probably why those positive average mo's were limited to a +.5 SD paltry range. 

These negative NAO excursive springs have(are) taken(ing) place regardless of leading ENSOs, too - just thought we'd clear that up now - which argues that there is a separate manifold of forcing that is causing this transition season cold regression to take place.   We probably don't have to labor the fact that -NAO are going to be more problematic to temperature distribution in NE and SE Canada than anywhere else on the continent. Particularly when the -NAO is biased over the western limb of the domain - which they have been just going by both memory and a-priori. 

Well, looking at the two recent days of 80 F in N PA while we sniff low tide cool air smells in Worcester certainly fits the bill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crazy gradient in CT with this pattern.

usually our weather on Long Island is similar to NE for the most part, but for whatever reason it’s been much much warmer here than points Ne. Usually we get back doored when NE does, can’t believe Ne still in the muck. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

"Developing by D10"

well at least AI seems to have learned the bogus D10 crap that never verifies 

I can’t even imagine what a d10 Taylor Swift AI would look like

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Crazy gradient in CT with this pattern.

usually our weather on Long Island is similar to NE for the most part, but for whatever reason it’s been much much warmer here than points Ne. Usually we get back doored when NE does, can’t believe Ne still in the muck. 

It kicked out of here about an hour ago-skies cleared and temps up to 68-70

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

It kicked out of here about an hour ago-skies cleared and temps up to 68-70

Multiple days of upper 60s and low 70s on the island while Boston, E CT stuck in the 50s. Very rare to see.

Boston still sitting at 50 lol. Absolutely brutal 

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Multiple days of upper 60s and low 70s on the island while Boston, E CT stuck in the 50s. Very rare to see.

yeah usually we are all socked in together in our misery-yesterday was awful here but I could see the clearing out over the sound-it just never moved in here.

3 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Is it that rare? I feel like it happens quite a bit this time of year. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Is it that rare? I feel like it happens quite a bit this time of year. 

I'd say so-Long Island usually is rough with east winds-Back door usually goes down to Central Jersey and stalls...Philly was 82 yesterday while I was stuck at 55 all day-usually the island is in the same airmass

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I'd say so-Long Island usually is rough with east winds-Back door usually goes down to Central Jersey and stalls...Philly was 82 yesterday while I was stuck at 55 all day-usually the island is in the same airmass

Eastern Mass seems to really struggle compared to places like ISP/HVN. Out toward the Twin Forks and GON it's a different story but seems like a bit of longitude does help around here even when you're on the Sound or Atlantic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2