• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant Miller B Nor'easter Apr 3rd-4th OBS

wxeyeNH

Been spitting show showers overnight and this morning bringing my total to 11". There was a very brief period (maybe 15 minutes) of sleet, and a littl graupel last evening. Temp starting to ramp up from a steady 31 prettymuch throughout the event. Lost internet for about 12 hours yesterday, but maintained power. I think this puts me at 93" for the season, about average.

18 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

:huh:

Listen, no snow forecast is ever going to be perfect in all locations, but this is going to be a pretty great forecast for a difficult April storm. We'll see what the map looks like later today (though our phones are down, so we may have to delay until we can talk to all the Coops, etc), but I think it's going to look pretty good compared to even our Tuesday maps.

I thought you guys did a good job. I was wondering about 10" at MHT, but looks like it will be near that? I think yesterday's and lasts night snow helped...I had my doubts about the snow yesterday and last night. Very difficult storm, but when you advect cold from the ENE....it's a unique setup for sure. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I thought you guys did a good job. I was wondering about 10" at MHT, but looks like it will be near that? I think yesterday's and lasts night snow helped...I had my doubts about the snow yesterday and last night. Very difficult storm, but when you advect cold from the ENE....it's a unique setup for sure. 

I was having a real hard time buying an additional 6" after 12z for a lot of locations yesterday, but it is looking like it is going be pretty widespread.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Just stay within 5 miles or so of the Jetport. :lol:

It is amazing the difference across town. The previous observer was in North Deering (not far from where I am).

You know, that almost gets me to the Gorham line.  I could do that.  

The differences can be stark, in any direction, across town, for sure.  I do worry sometimes about continuity of records given my location compared to the previous observer.  But I think if you were to compare my CoCoRaHS observations from 2018-2021, I'd be pretty close to the official obs (at least statistically). 

Once in a while there'll be a season (or big event) where the difference is statistically significant, and that stinks, but what can you do?

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I was having a real hard time buying an additional 6" after 12z for a lot of locations yesterday, but it is looking like it is going be pretty widespread.

Hate to do this but the whole setup was so so familiar to me I didn't understand the angst about after 12 Z. But great job 

• Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, tunafish said:

You know, that almost gets me to the Gorham line.  I could do that.  

The differences can be stark, in any direction, across town, for sure.  I do worry sometimes about continuity of records given my location compared to the previous observer.  But I think if you were to compare my CoCoRaHS observations from 2018-2021, I'd be pretty close to the official obs (at least statistically). 

Once in a while there'll be a season (or big event) where the difference is statistically significant, and that stinks, but what can you do?

The reality is that the previous observer was probably equally far from PWM, just on the cold side. I haven't been down to the peninsula today, but I'm guessing they have less snow downtown that I do.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

My cousin lives in MHT and said another 2-3" last night after 18z. Hes a few miles north of the airport with a little more elevation but said atleast 8" otg

can confirm. picked up another few inches last night. close but not quite 8" otg here west of MHT

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hate to do this but the whole setup was so so familiar to me I didn't understand the angst about after 12 Z. But great job 

I just wasn't convinced the dry slot would saturate as well as it did. Models started getting a better handle of it 00z the night before for at least a few hours of deformation banding, but when that DGZ is dry I get worried about forecasting big totals. I think we did a really good job of keeping the QPF but knocking the ratios way down so we didn't have some obscene widespread 24+ forecast sneak out the door.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

:huh:

Listen, no snow forecast is ever going to be perfect in all locations, but this is going to be a pretty great forecast for a difficult April storm. We'll see what the map looks like later today (though our phones are down, so we may have to delay until we can talk to all the Coops, etc), but I think it's going to look pretty good compared to even our Tuesday maps.

Forecasts pegged the jack area essentially perfectly and did well elsewhere.  Once the S+ ended before 7 yesterday morning, I figured that the forecast for here (12-18) would bust, but the wet 0.7" (0.11" LE) pushed the storm total to 13.2" - another score.  It's our 3rd greatest April snow here (18.5" on 4-5/07; 15.1" on 1-2/11) and 4th anywhere (17.0" on 7-8/82 in Fort Kent).  Spring total of 40.2" tops the 37.9" in 2007, a mark I thought to be unbeatable.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I’ll say one thing, as fun as it would’ve been to watch it happen I’m glad I didn’t wake up to a foot of snow on the ground this morning.

The highest totals up north are not far behind my entire season total.

Would have been awesome and a once in a couple decades occurrences but I totally get it, especially the power loss which sucks no matter who thinks it's cool.

• Like 1

I was living in Waterville and I have no recollection of this storm. It's kind of strange. I remember running I think the day after the Boston Marathon either in '82 or '83 in heavy snow - somewhere across the river in Winslow.

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I know the phones were out for the observer there, so we had trouble getting a total. We were estimating 6 inches at 18z yesterday.

I just submitted my report online, Tried calling last night and again this morning, Not surprised you have no phones, Thers carnage everywhere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I just submitted my report online, Tried calling last night and again this morning, Not surprised you have no phones, Thers carnage everywhere.

Yeah, we're down hard here. It's been the easiest morning after a snowstorm I've ever had. :lmao:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

92704926_3040863302640205_72292180169473

1982 wasn't bad. Little lighter for BTV, much bigger for SNE. 

Much different character, too.  Dry cold pow with temps one might expect in a January blizzard - numerous low max records were set.  Down at NYC it was the most wintry April snowstorm in their 155-year POR.  (Embarrassing for the mets at CAR as well.  Like almost everyone, they expected a sharp right turn OTS and were forecasting cold/windy/flurries.  Instead, they got 26.3", at the time their biggest on record.)

• Like 2