• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant Miller B Nor'easter watch, Apr 3rd-4th

Typhoon Tip

Go back to the pre-clown map era when you have marginal temp profile….esp under 800-1000 feet  

1. Look for 6 hourly QPF greater than 0.50”…preferably 0.75”+. The heavier the better, but 0.25 or 0.37 over 6 hours isn’t gonna cut it. That’s mostly white rain. 

2. Look at 925 temps. Typically want -2ish or colder to avoid total slop though -1 will work if youre pounding with good snow growth aloft. 

If you aren’t satisfying both of those criteria, then you’re looking at something significantly under 10:1 ratios. 

Nocturnal timing for max precip can help a bit too, but it’s less significant than the two factors above. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s just snow depth. I feel like it almost shows what would fall and compact at 10:1.

To be honest it doesn’t matter lol.  Just think it’s a marginal air mass, the 10:1 maps are over-selling it.  In some cases pretty solidly over-selling it.

What percentage would you guys say this has of developing into a historic blizzard for all of eastern mass, similar to April 1997, March 2013, March 2018 etc? I don’t think it is likely at all (I’m leaning towards rain here) but do believe that upside exists if everything breaks right due to the strength of the low on the models.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, George001 said:

What percentage would you guys say this has of developing into a historic blizzard for all of eastern mass, similar to April 1997, March 2013, March 2018 etc? I don’t think it is likely at all (I’m leaning towards rain here) but do believe that upside exists if everything breaks right due to the strength of the low on the models.

:weenie::weenie:%

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

To be honest it doesn’t matter lol.  Just think it’s a marginal air mass, the 10:1 maps are over-selling it.  In some cases pretty solidly over-selling it.

The last two winters here should be a major reminder of  that lol. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Go back to the pre-clown map era when you have marginal temp profile….esp under 800-1000 feet  

1. Look for 6 hourly QPF greater than 0.50”…preferably 0.75”+. The heavier the better, but 0.25 or 0.37 over 6 hours isn’t gonna cut it. That’s mostly white rain. 

2. Look at 925 temps. Typically want -2ish or colder to avoid total slop though -1 will work if youre pounding with good snow growth aloft. 

If you aren’t satisfying both of those criteria, then you’re looking at something significantly under 10:1 ratios. 

Nocturnal timing for max precip can help a bit too, but it’s less significant than the two factors above. 

Agree completely with your caveats; I think you can survive the marginally cold at 925 with modest rates in mid-winter, but not in early April... Some of the past monsters being thrown around either excessive dynamics or much colder profiles.  And 1982 had both with pure Arctic cold... I will get more interested if the consolation process appears likely to be perfect...

• Like 1

Everyone wants to keep bringing up 04/01/97 and 04/06/82, and yeah 1996-97 was a ratter until April 1st just like this season but this one just doesn't have the same dynamics as that one did, and April 1982 had a very cold airmass to work with. In terms of overall synoptics this one actually looks more similar to 03/29/70, but even that one had better dynamics to work with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChangeofSeasonsWX said:

Everyone wants to keep bringing up 04/01/97 and 04/06/82, and yeah 1996-97 was a ratter until April 1st just like this season but this one just doesn't have the same dynamics as that one did, and April 1982 had a very cold airmass to work with. In terms of overall synoptics this one actually looks more similar to 03/29/70, but even that one had better dynamics to work with.

The more consolidated solutions have incredible dynamics. But something like the GFS is less intriguing until you are into high terrain of NNE. You have the low trying to escape northeast too quickly early before it finally gets tugged back. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ChangeofSeasonsWX said:

This is a bomb. Zero doubt 

• Like 1