Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Discobs 2024

George BM

4 hours ago, katabatic said:

Greetings again from Donner! This epic storm continues. The entire front of the condo building has now disappeared. We’ve been taking turns at an entrance on the windward side, keeping that open (well, kinda) so at least we can get outside. To get this picture, I waded through waist to chest high snow. I have done multiple lake effect chases so I have seen some pretty intense snow but earlier today we had a thunderstorm that easily dropped 4 or 5 inches in 30 minutes. Still no power, no plow and no internet (phone works!) but warm and well fed. What a once in a lifetime experience for someone who loves this stuff. 

IMG_1641.jpeg

And we saw bare asphalt parking lot when you started!

Great coverage 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DDweatherman said:

Need to experience this once in my life, 10 feet there? 

wonder the frequency of a storm like this. Can someone pull the books? @psuhoffman

Even they are overwhelmed 

We did Tug Hill in Feb 2007 and thst was epic lake effect 7+ feet .It was tough going and closed roads white out. 
This looks bigger 

On 3/2/2024 at 10:06 AM, stormy said:

.38" last 24 hrs.. The Central Valley has been dry for the past month.  The cutoff has been the Blue Ridge. Charlottesville received 1.00" past 24.

Yup in my last post a few days ago, I mentioned how I didn't like how this was beginning to trend...

Palisades Tahoe has 6 feet of snow. It is still snowing. They are planning to open Monday. Ski Patrol said they will be digging out for the foreseeable  future.

Damn I envy them.

One pic of them showed a man trudging thru 3 feet of pow. He looked kind of punked out.

• Like 1

Jeb, if you were there, you would be going on a Jebswim cuz walking just wouldn't work. This is like being in two simultaneous Buffalo blizzards, or 1888 times three. I need a cold shower just thinking about seven feet of snow. Gotta settle for one measly foot here. 

• Like 3

The wind kept the snow in the parking lot from completely burying the cars. Good news! The not so good news is what’s remaining is true Sierra Cement. A front loader and a spinning turbine should be here by noon so we can really start digging out. Impossible to say what the storm total was but after seeing some regional observations and talking with folks that live here, it’s a solid 120 inches…10 feet. 

IMG_1670-compressed.png

• Like 15

Mammoth is open. It's a massive powder day. Palisades is opening up as well, and it is still snowing HARD there! It's a spectacular day in the white room and you better pack a snorkel if you go off piste! Deep stashes are plentiful and this is a great day to carve out some great turns as we have three feet of fresh pow at Mammoth and 6 feet of fresh pow at Tahoe, with even MORE snow pummeling the Palisades!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, katabatic said:

The wind kept the snow in the parking lot from completely burying the cars. Good news! The not so good news is what’s remaining is true Sierra Cement. A front loader and a spinning turbine should be here by noon so we can really start digging out. Impossible to say what the storm total was but after seeing some regional observations and talking with folks that live here, it’s a solid 120 inches…10 feet. 

IMG_1670-compressed.png

Wow! The totals out there are crazy!

• Like 1

Correction.

Palisades did not end up with 6 feet. Last night they piled on an extra 12 inches. They got SEVEN feet from this mega blizzard!!

EDIT:

https://blog.palisadestahoe.com/weather/digging-out-from-8-feet-of-snow/

I was balls wrong about Palisades earlier today. They got eight feet total, IN FOUR DAYS!

They have got a ton of digging out to do.

6 hours ago, katabatic said:

IMG_1670-compressed.png

Wow! TEN FEET OF SNOW! Sounds like a snow job lol! I might have to drop in on Donner and dig these guys out using Jebman Standards and my shovel!

Spent 5 days at the VA home.  Signs of spring everywhere and wow it was so muddy! 

Got back to OR yesterday afternoon in time for another little snow here at the house.  Just measured and 3.5" overnight and 26 degrees.  Looks like is going to be 2nd or 3rd snowiest winter out of my 10 winters here. 

I work at Mt Bachelor tomorrow morning then plan to ski.  Around 50" since my last shift so conditions should be epic.  Deep solid base with 4 plus feet of powder snow on top.  

Check out the cam comparison photo at the top of Cloud Chaser lift.  First one was the snow cover back in November and then screen shot from yesterday with snow level half way up that tree.  Looks like another 8" on the snow stake last night.  

IMG_3574.thumb.jpeg.841430fbf6a348371d23d33e63bcc23a.jpegIMG_3573.thumb.jpeg.f2eb9d1cc0777271a4452186b36ea4cd.jpeg

• Like 7

So it ends. Let the long journey home commence. Based on additional snowfall yesterday and last night, ended up with 130 inches. Too expensive, somewhat irresponsible, totally impulsive, achingly laborious. And I will look back with nary an ounce of regret as this was the best tasting chicken soup for the soul I could have imagined. 

IMG_1697-compressed.jpeg

• Like 21

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Make up the spare room. I’ll be there Friday. :)

Long term my wife wants to be mostly in VA.    I certainly will never forget my years living next to the PNW Cascades.  And seriously if someone from the forum made the effort to get out here we have a spare room.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nj2va said:

But you’d need to live on the crazy west coast. 

Deal breaker. 

It's not much different than the east coast. Blue cities red countryside.  And I am 3-1/2 hours from Portland.  Almost 100% BLM / cattle ranches / wide open big sky country for 5 hours driving east until you reach Idaho…. Last check its pretty a pretty red state thereLOL..

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic