Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Discobs 2024

George BM

• WxUSAF pinned this topic

It’s still winter here for sure. We’re in a relative lull right now. Total estimate but so far 3 1/2 feet. About a half an hour ago. I heard this tremendous explosion and thought oh shit that’s a transformer that just blew. But the power stayed on and I heard a second explosion and then a third. It literally made the dishes rattle and it took me a minute to realize these explosions are the howitzers that they’re firing up on the mountain for avalanche control. 

IMG_1573-compressed.jpeg

IMG_1579-compressed.jpeg

• Like 23

6 hours ago, CAPE said:

Sunday through next week looks to be within a couple degrees of 60. Latter part of the week looks a tad wet though.

Which begs the question...how do the "wetlands" that make up a significant portion of your "back 40" look at this point, in this particular seasonal transition? Always been interesting in recent years to see how wet it is on the typically wettest portions of your property...and how that compares to other parts of our region on this side of the bay.

2 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Which begs the question...how do the "wetlands" that make up a significant portion of your "back 40" look at this point, in this particular seasonal transition? Always been interesting in recent years to see how wet it is on the typically wettest portions of your property...and how that compares to other parts of our region on this side of the bay.

The wetland was quite wet several weeks ago(much sooner than last year), but with the relatively dry weather of late is has receded. A few heavy rain events over the coming weeks and it will be back to more typical for Spring- quite expansive and a foot or so deep.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, katabatic said:

It’s still winter here for sure. We’re in a relative lull right now. Total estimate but so far 3 1/2 feet. About a half an hour ago. I heard this tremendous explosion and thought oh shit that’s a transformer that just blew. But the power stayed on and I heard a second explosion and then a third. It literally made the dishes rattle and it took me a minute to realize these explosions are the howitzers that they’re firing up on the mountain for avalanche control. 

IMG_1573-compressed.jpeg

IMG_1579-compressed.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures.  The sounds from the howitzers brings back memories of my time in the Alps.  Lived in Germany 2 different times and skied all over the Alps (I telemark).

They use a variety of methods to initiate controlled avalanches.  Depending on the area and conditions, they may use howitzers also, or recoilless rifles mounted on vehicles, or artillery in strategic locations concealed behind fake fiberglass rocks, or bye helicopter, or by cable systems strung between ridge lines, or via hand by ski patrol or thrown from gondolas.  They do it and have it down to the art.  

• Like 2

It's another tropical flooding rainstorm. One thing we do great in our new climo is tropical rain. It's killing off our oak trees at an alarming rate. Our forest are going to be full of invasive plants and trash trees. Forget the lack of snow. This shit is killing our forest. 

Heavy tropical rain and probably 50 degrees. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dailylurker said:

It's another tropical flooding rainstorm. One thing we do great in our new climo is tropical rain. It's killing off our oak trees at an alarming rate. Our forest are going to be full of invasive plants and trash trees. Forget the lack of snow. This shit is killing our forest. 

I dunno…seems like this is going to be a second major underperformance on totals. 18z 3k NAM yesterday had me at 1.25” and globals were pretty uniform around 0.6-0.8”. 

• Like 2

.38" last 24 hrs.. The Central Valley has been dry for the past month.  The cutoff has been the Blue Ridge. Charlottesville received 1.00" past 24.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dailylurker said:

Idk about oaks but IMBY has now been updated from zone 7b to 8a, which makes sense, as many firs and spruces that are only hardy to zone 7 struggle down here now. I unfortunately learned this the hard way IMBY. One of the local nurseries down here told me they have been changing their tree selections.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, dailylurker said:

Yea but we saved money on our heating bill this year so it all equals out. /s

• Like 1

This sure has been one hell of an adventure. I don’t have power, I don’t have Internet although my phone still works thankfully. The snowblower that the condo uses to dig us out is broken and they don’t think we’re gonna get any back up until at least Monday. I estimate we’ve had about 7 feet with another 4 to 6 to come. If I don’t get out on Monday which is when my flight is, Tuesday and Wednesday we’re going to get another 2 feet.

IMG_1612.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Not just the Central Valley.  This is an all-too familiar pattern setting in again.

I pray that your wrong but I have concerns.

1 hour ago, katabatic said:

This sure has been one hell of an adventure. I don’t have power, I don’t have Internet although my phone still works thankfully. The snowblower that the condo uses to dig us out is broken and they don’t think we’re gonna get any back up until at least Monday. I estimate we’ve had about 7 feet with another 4 to 6 to come. If I don’t get out on Monday which is when my flight is, Tuesday and Wednesday we’re going to get another 2 feet.

IMG_1612.jpeg

Ho. Ly. Sh. it.

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic