Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah... April ... particularly early April is just perfectly when that is most likely to occur around here.

I'm not sure what your history is, but do you remember the 1997 "April Fool's Day storm" ? 

It was sunny, 64 F at 1:15 pm up at the UML weather lab, while the 12z model runs were coming in with a 4 contoured hornet stinger 500 mb closed low and attending sfc bomb just S of Cape Cod scheduled for 2 days later. 

The campus was abuzz with that type of passionate fever as though the prison gates were opened and the world was set free.   The energy and joy was palpable on that Saturday, mid day.

Monday we changed to snow, and that night 9 consecutive hours of S+ with occasional lightning all quadrants was on the Logan Metar.  My buddy lived in Wayland, MA ( about 20 mi due W of Boston along Rt 20).  He was describing the breath arresting wide-eye pause that overwhelmed him as he swung open the door to see that the 0" of snow on ground the previous evening was now 31" ...tenting over the cars to the point where they were completely and totally encased.  This is a the type of guy that doesn't really concern for weather forecast excpet here and there, mainly when it matters to him.  Not like us in here that track cumulus clouds ( haha).  

So I don't even think he knew there was a winter storm warning in place - or if so, only tacitly aware of it.   But then again, LOL, I don't think NWS was much better considering what happened.

By the following Saturday, it was 60 degrees.

I was a young lad, but remember it well. Much lower impact event in central CT but memorable 

12z Euro's another flooder ...but does bring goodies to the winter hold-out types from Brian-like and points N.

Also has the balmy bubble air mass formulating after that from 7th on spanning SE Canada/NE and the OV, too. 

• Like 1

Guess we have a shot at another one at least.
IMG_8949.thumb.png.8ec5d264e3b500399b5e5904d73849f3.png
IMG_8948.thumb.png.5b38af643222471ccae4802daf907ab2.png

It looks like there’s a bunch of different ways next week turns into a powder fest. Going to be a nice base heading into April. Superstar was as high as I’ve ever seen it Monday with the piles well above the lift in a bunch of places.

a8541164c8d8dc5fa754c7ed7e467c53.jpg

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

It looks like there’s a bunch of different ways next week turns into a powder fest. Going to be a nice base heading into April. Superstar was as high as I’ve ever seen it Monday with the piles well above the lift in a bunch of places.

a8541164c8d8dc5fa754c7ed7e467c53.jpg

Do they still do the June 1st thing?  I went and did that in college as a one-time bucket list.  Slept in my buddies Isuzu trooper, which was a poor night sleep, but a great truck.  

5 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Yeah I saw March 2010 in the records. What the hell went on I don't remember it?

2 massive rain events. One jacked BOS S with 8-11"+. Then we had another 2-3" deal. Then towards the end of the month the south coast had like 8-9". That last event shut down 95 near Warwick from the Patuxet River flooding. Record crests. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JetsPens87 said:

Not even a tiny bit correct

We’ve been trying to tell ‘em…but they don’t listen. 

2 hours ago, JetsPens87 said:

Trenton NJ

52.5 March 2012

45.7 March 2024

Normal: 41.7

ZERO comparison 

Agreed…None whatsoever. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Do they still do the June 1st thing?  I went and did that in college as a one-time bucket list.  Slept in my buddies Isuzu trooper, which was a poor night sleep, but a great truck.  

Yep..that’s usually their goal. Last year they really had to piece it together, but made it.

07e7a2fbf36adea5960dbe18a2548a41.jpg

1 hour ago, cleetussnow said:

I bought my daughter a trooper for her undergrad days in upstate Vermont. Thing was a tank. Kind of hairy during windy days on the highway.